+ Reply to Thread

Kyocera 7135 mp3 problem

I recently downloaded a few mp3s to my phone and when I played them they skipped all about and weren't clear at all...very unimpressed. Am I missing something when I load them onto my phone? Do the files have to be super small? Do I have to do something to the mp3 file before I put it on the phone?

There's a whole FAQ on creating MP3's for the 7135.... In short the bit rate of your MP3 files shouldn't be more than 128Kbs or it will skip. good luck
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I assume that skipping in MP3s encoded at more than 128 kbps is because of the slow CPU (33 MHz) not being able to keep up???

You would assume correct. 128 is about as high as the unit will allow. Ive had limited success with higher bitrates but I dont mind sacrificing some quality for size anyway. (I can get a few more songs on my card that way). Plus.... 128 is usually considered cd quality anyway. I know it depends on the source youve ripped it from but again the size vs quality is ok with me.
    There is no spoon
    Neo can be spelled as One.

Hdhntr23, I use RealPlayer to create MP3s from CDs and it allows you to choose your encoding rate. I have always used 128 kbps or less mostly because, as you pointed out, the file size for the resulting MP3 is smaller and takes less space in memory. I did encode a few at 96 kbps, and my tired, old ears could barely tell the difference. Since I haven't created any MP3s at higher rates than 128 kbps, I haven't experienced the problem described by Semajole.
    Last edited by tedcmiller; 10-21-2005 at 09:45 AM.