+ Reply to Thread

Why is my phone ALWAYS searching?

My 7135 never works. It is constantly searching for service. I took it into US Cellular and they have no explanation. All of my friends with USC have no problems at all. Is my phone messed up?

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Sounds like it has a hardware problem.
    Michael

So what do I do? Get a new phone? Send it somewhere to get fixed?

Phone searching for service

Hopefully it isn't too late for this reply...

I just bought my first 7135 (I know, I'm behind the times). Mine also said searching all the time, so I called Alltel customer service (which I give an A+) and this is the fix that worked for me:

Go to "Phone Preferences" than "Phone Service" then "Roam Option".

Mine was set to "No Roaming" and needed to be changed to "Automatic B". I don't know the difference between A and B, but that's something for you to check anyway

I had to do this because I where I live I pick up the Alltel network, but the place I work is in the Sprint PCS network.
    Last edited by Kclynnd; 10-21-2005 at 10:45 AM.

Your symptoms seem a little vague. Is it 100% all the time? Do you ever receive calls? Is it during the workday, but is OK when you go out to lunch or dinner? If its only some places, then its either the network, the specific phone (most 7135 users will tell you reception is better on the 7135 than 80% of other phones) or both.
    If its all the time, any place, and doing soft resets makes it go away for awhile, but using the phone brings it back in a real hurry, then its probably on its way out & you can expect SRCP soon.

I just switched to Roam option B, we'll see if that helps at all.

I notice that it's searching a lot during my classes. It also does it at work, however at that time of day (evening) it seems to start working again once the phone is flipped open for a couple seconds.

What does SRCP mean?

Originally posted by kjh_2005
    I just switched to Roam option B, we'll see if that helps at all.

I notice that it's searching a lot during my classes. It also does it at work, however at that time of day (evening) it seems to start working again once the phone is flipped open for a couple seconds.

What does SRCP mean?
    Ruh Roh... I think you are going to find out real soon what SCRP means. It may soon appear on your phone if it is starting the searching message. (Service required contact provider.)

Originally posted by waiting
    Ruh Roh... I think you are going to find out real soon what SCRP means. It may soon appear on your phone if it is starting the searching message. (Service required contact provider.)

So are you saying that SRCP = phone is done for? In other words I should consider getting this looked at?

If you have Verizon, you can call them now or later and cop a Treo 650. SRCP = Palm but no phone forever.

How many bars does your top display show when the phone is searching?

Inside buildings and in other locations outside you may have no cellular service, this would cause the phone to search for some.

Semi-Converged
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by kjh_2005
    [B]I just switched to Roam option B, we'll see if that helps at all.

It may be that you don't have any signal inside the buildings. It then serches for an analogue signal. Often, when I am at conferences and deep inside hotels, no signal is availible.