+ Reply to Thread

Kyocera 7135 -- Woes & Worries

Hi,

I've read countless threads on this forum regarding the Kyocera 7135 and I'm ready to purchase my first "Smart Phone" but I'm still afraid of two issues.

1) The deadly SRCP -- I'm buying this phone off eBay at half the cost of a brand new Alltel 7135 with contract ($199.95). I hear mixed reviews about used auction 7135's but I hear the same about new ones only after a couple months. Is the SRCP really just a loose connection issue or should I avoid it like the plauge?

2) I'm coming from a Sprint Sanyo VM4500, not having pictures or video is going to take a toll on my life but accessing e-mail and syncing with my home computer is going to be great. How's PalmOS 4.1 run for you guys verses the new Treo 650? I've heard a bunch of mixed reviews on the 650, but only Alltel and Nextel work in my area.

3) Is there really a way to suspend applications (multi-task) on the 7135? I'm guessing it's a Palm trick and not specific to this model phone. I've heard some can pull it off, but only for a minute or less.

4) Would buying a 2-3 year old PDA Cell Phone combo be a smart move? I know technology grows fast, but based on this PalmOS 4.1 emulator I have on my computer, it runs everything I want plus some. I can't fit the bill (or deposit) to get a Treo and the Blackberry, which I've used before, is an over-rated e-mail client IMHO.

Thanks a lot to all who reply -- Your information will decide if I upgrade to my first "Smart Phone," or stay with the camera phone and poor application support of my current Audiovox 8910.

1) I've never had the SRCP, and I don't know anyone who has, though many people in forum seem to have had it. It seems to be a failure mode, but how common it is can't be determined from reading a forum. Note that once it happens, there's a really strong reason to go post in the forum, but when it's not happening, there's not much impetus to say so.

2) Never tried the Treo 650 (don't want to). There was a comparison of them last week under a thread something like "Reasons to stay away from the Treo 650 from someone who switched". The OS version has not been a limiting factor in my use.

3) Suspension seems to be dependant on the application programming. Most applications are suspended (in the sense that they are at the same point when you return to them), but some reset (mostly games in my experience, but not all). In my experience suspension seems to be the most common mode.

My 4 year old Kyocera 7135 is a better PDA/Phone converged device than anything else out there that I know of (or else I'd switch). It may be old, but the field hasn't acutally moved that much. There are other threads about improvements, and I'd have a couple, but I'm very happy with this thing (until another flip phone converged Palm device with MOU comes along). The beauty of a converged device is that YOU can choose the client instead of having the email (or what-have-you) client thrust at you.

Thank you so much for the reply. I get paid next week and I'm weighing my options of $100 on eBay, or an additional $99 (plus tax) at Alltel.

I called Alltel and while they're heavily pushing the Blackberry in most markets, the 7135 can be found side-by-side with RIM's new "e-mail" phone in many of their retal outlets and they're still getting them [Kyocera 7135] shipped. It's $100 cheaper with a contract [than Blackberry] and from everything I can see, other than Java and Bluetooth -- Palm saves the day for me.

I'll be making my purchase next week unless someone posts urget information regarding Alltel's further support of Kyocera 7135.

If any long-time 7135 lovers [or haters] want to come forward and spend a minute telling me what they think I'd apperciate it. Other than spending a lot more money on an unlocked Treo, I think the 7135 is the best option for features and cost.

Thanks.

All I can say is I'd drop the additional $99 and get a new one from Alltel. At least then you have a warranty backing you up in the event of a phone failure (more likely with a used phone off eBay).

I just did that myself and my phone went dead in a matter of a week. I might get a decent replacement (waiting) but I might not. But I won't be able to get a replacement from Verizon like others did (Treo 650) since I got it off eBay.

So I'd recommend getting a new one from your provider. That extra $$ will probably pay for itself in time.

Cheers,

Alan

I think I'll do just that. Are there any good (free) PalmOS 4.1 applications available on the Internet?

Sure, lots... best place to start is www.freewarepalm.com
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Don't buy the phone off Ebay. People are selling SRCP, near SRCP, and broken 7135s there. Then, when the thing breaks, you call your line insurance carrie and find out that the ESN belongs to a previously claimed phone and they won't cover it.

The new 7135 is probably the better deal - as long as you are ok with the contract. Remember that the 7135 will be going away when they finish selling the stock on hand, and that all Warranty service is through Kyocera directly via Radio Shack. But its always better to have a brand new phone with the warranty, no matter what. If you are unsure about the contract, you can always pay $50 more for a 1 yr term or $100 more for a 0 yr term. Or search the garage sale on this site for more dependable used 7135s