+ Reply to Thread

Reduced signal strength?

Originally posted by Osteo
    I've noticed my signal strength isn't what it used to be (about 1/2 the bars of my wife's Nokia generally) but I'm not missing calls.
    Be sure to check that your antenna is tight.

I was getting one or two bars less than I had been when I noticed my antenna's cap had a couple of millimeters gap to the phone's body when fully retracted.

Turns out the antenna was partially unscrewed - hence the gap. I tightened the connection and the missing signal strength was back.

Good thought, R.O., as I actually thought of this too. I've removed and replaced it a few times and it didn't help. Even bent the T-shaped metal bracket inside the phone (done during my quarterly cleaning) and no real help. As I'm not missing any calls, I'm not really worrying about it.

Thanks, though!
    Here, have a clue. No, take two, they're small.....

It is a mistake to assume that two different phones, even if they are on the same service, will show the same signal strength when in close proximity to each other. Differences in hardware and software will cause the phones to show different signal strengths. If the phones are on different services, they are almost guaranteed to show different signal strengths. Or, by pure coincidence, they might show the same signal strength. The bottom line is that comparing signal strength on two phones in the same location is not a reliable indicator of much of anything.

News to me, thanks! I assumed that as we both are on Verizon, should be the same, but it makes sense that strength is probably handset hardware dependent.
    Here, have a clue. No, take two, they're small.....

Signal meters are not reliable btw manufacturers. LG phones always are a bar above Kyoceras, while Audiovox are a bar below, and Nokias are more likely to fluxuate than most. The best test is between 2 of the same phone on the same network OUTDOORS at least 10 ft apart so they can't interfere w/each other.