+ Reply to Thread

Question headset piece broken inside

Hi. I have sort of an unusual problem. I just discovered that the tip of my headset plug has broken off and is inside the handsfree jack. Currently, I can still use my phone fine but just cannot use the handsfree option. However, I am concerned because I previously owned a 6035 and ironically enough this exact thing happened with that phone. I was not so lucky though, and I was never able to use the 6035 again. What I am wondering is if there is anyway to safely remove the piece from inside the phone without causing the phone to quit working. I use the handsfree option a lot and would like to continue doing so if at all possible. I have owned my 7135 for 2 years with no problems and do not want to quit using it and can't afford to buy a new phone right now.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks in advance for any help!!

Again: This converged device has many parts, the only one that will prevent you from using it with Verizon is if your Phone board dies because that's where your ESN lives. Everything but the phone board is replacable.

You can either do this yourself, or you can pay someone else $25 to do it. It only involves carefully removing the backplate, and working on the jack. If worst comes to worst and one can't remove that piece from the jack, a new jack can be fitted. So, no, this is not the deathknell of your 7135 or the speakerphone.

i removed the back of the phone but could not remove the board above the jack. the two screws holding it in are stripped. i'll have to figure out another way to get them out.

any idea why this would have happened to begin with? this must be some sort of issue because i had this happen to my 6035 too. both times they were name brand headsets i used. i have had many cell phones and never had this problem with any of the others. it seems to me that this must have happened to other people too.

ok, now i have a problem. this morning my phone will not let me make calls. it thinks the headset is in and won't let me do anything.

I have not had this problem nor have I heard of anyone else having a similar problem with any kind of equipment, cell phones or other stuff. While it is possible that the 2.5 mm, 4-circuit plug needed for the 7135 headset jack is somewhat more fragile than, say, a 3.5 mm 3-circuit plug, the fact that this has happened to you, and apparently to you only, two times suggests that it may be something that you are doing to cause the problem. Or it may be purely coincidence. In any case, if opening the case and removing the tip while the jack is still soldered to the board is not possible, then replacing the jack might be the only option.

Yeah, it could be a strange coincidence or something I'm doing. I was able to get the piece out of the jack and my phone is working fine again! Thanks for your replies!

Do tell.... how did you get it out? I was going to suggest using a needle or something. I too have never heard of this happening to a kyo or any other gizmo...
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I just removed the back plate of the phone and the board inside. It did take a little work to get the two screws inside the phone out because they were stripped. I have a used phone and someone must have performed some sort of operation on it before. Once I removed these pieces I could just push the tip from the headset out of the jack. I put the phone back together and everything worked as good as new. I tried this with my 6035 too but the whole headset jack came loose, and I could never make calls again. I'm glad my operation was successful this time because I love my 7135 and don't want to get a new phone.
    Last edited by salt96; 10-28-2005 at 12:42 PM.