+ Reply to Thread

SRCP - With a twist? Is it recoverable???

Hey All,

I have spent the last two days searching this forum. I recently purchased what was supposed to be a "new" 7135 from ebay. The seller siad he purchased it for his wife, she fired it up, and didnt like it. I got it in the mail, hooked up the charger, and started playing around with it. It had full digital signal, but I checked the call timers and is said there was 8000 minutes on the thing! I am working with the seller to get a refund, or perhaps a partial refund and keep the phone.

Anywho, I called Alltel to switch my service to this new phone. They had me power off the phone and get the ESN off the sticker under the battery. When I powered the phone back on, I got the dreaded "Service Required, Contact Provider". Alltel told me I have to drive 2 hours to the nearest center and have it flashed. I am not looking forward to having to do that since there is a possibility that it will not even fix the issue. So I started searching the internet and ended up here.

I have found that removing the battery and plugging in the wall charger allows me to get a "searching" message after I go thru the "welcome" and stylius setup screens. While there is no signal, I can dial "111111" and get into the options menu. I set my phone number and home SID to the correct numbers (verified with Altell). But still no signal and the infamous "searching" message. I went back into the options, and selected "Version". I have the most recent firmware (1.0.29 & 1.0.44) Here is where I think the issue is....

I checked the PRI and is says: "7135_VERIZONB_MZ1036_P03.qcn" It seems to be that even tho there is an ALLTEL banner on the phone at startup, the seller said it was activated with Altell for long enough for his wife to decide she didnt like it, the PRI (Whatever that is) is set to Verizon. When I called Altel I was once again informed to go to the center and have it flashed. I guess my question is as follows: Will the PRI be updated to the Altell information, if there is even an Altell version at all, and is it possible to do this myself. I have found a post about doing the firmware upgrades yourself, but it makes no mention of if the PRI gets updated in the process.

Here is another string concerning Alltel:

unlock phone from uscellular to alltel help

Since you know how to program the phone, do all the same stuff to NAM2 (changable in the upper right hand corner when in programming), then change it to NAM2, No Roaming, Digital Only in the Phone Service settings under Phone Preferences. Then you should be able to get a signal to do the *228. When you are done change it back to Automatic (or Automatic A -- A or B will depend on whether your SID is an odd#: A or even#: B) and Digital AND Analog. Good luck!

I did what you instructed, but now I get a SRCP constantly, no more "searching" When I switched it back to NAM1 and powered off and on, I got the searching message again.

When mine went SRCP, it would search until I tried to make a call, then would go SRCP when it decided it couldn't process it. Its possible it came to you lifeless. Its getting to the point where there are a significant amount of bad phones on eBay - its been around for 3 years and Verizon stopped offering it over a year ago new and since Kyocera phones are less likely to make it past 12000 minutes, with an average 500 min/mo, a 2yr old 7135 is like a Ford Tempo with 250 thousand miles on it. TIME BOMB

yeah, i am sure you are right. Its too bad, it seems like a great phone. Now I have to file a claim and get my money back.