+ Reply to Thread

Does AvantGo cause syncing problems?

I wanted to see if this was a problem that is widespread or just me. My 7135 syncs just fine, repeatedly, UNTIl I run AvantGo. During the sync right after AvantGo the phone crashes right in the middle, and re-sets my phone settings to their defaults.

The answer is just to not use AvantGo, but I love being able to get live weather, news & movie listings.

Semi-Converged
    I don't have your problem, but since AvantGo makes my palm side crash (only if I close phone with AvantGo running), it is definitely AvantGo. Somewhere in the archives is a thread with another program that will upload internet data to the phone. You might look for it.

I'm also a heavy Avantgo user, but I'm not having any synch problems (it's freaking slow synching on weekday mornings!). I also can't close the cover on Avantgo or I'm certain to have the PDA crash (I just thumb the datebook button as I'm closing it).

I'd suggest that you delete Avantgo from your computer and the 7135, then reinstall with the latest version. Perhaps that will help.

Ditto Ditto - If I leave Avantgo on or get a call while using Avantgo then game over. RESET.. If I try to sync Avantgo by using the phone to dial in then I will get a reset back to default and have to sync to get everything back.
    Pablo

I have two 7135's, I bought my second one for the wife. Both phones behave differently and after reading this forum for quite some time I'm getting the impression that the 7135's individually show a lot of quirks. Hers' just acts up more then mine and returning hers' twice to the service people does nothing to change things. Sometimes we atribute it to Avantgo and yet it has become obvious all 7135's are not created equal. Sorry for not offering any real help here but I thought you might like to know there is a chance your problem might be like ours, peculiaritys of the individual phone. Mike

I used a free trial of Avantgo for about a month to get weather. While I was using it I had none of the problems described in these posts. So, when I stopped using it after the free trial ran out, it was not because of functional problems, it was because I could not see paying reoccurring charges for things that I could directly from the Internet for free with most any of the numerous PDA Internet browsers.

Semi-Converged
    I have never paid for Avantgo, but maybe because I only sync with it through my pc internet connection.

The free-trial program I had was downloaded from the Avantgo web site and stopped working after the trial period was up. Your post seems to imply that Avantgo on your phone was set up to only talk to your PC through a sync process and not to go online through the wireless phone link. Is this a correct interpretation?

In any case, Avantgo seemed to be only a small improvement over the speed of accessing the stuff I was interested in directly from the web using a browser so I wasn't concerned when the trial period expired. Taking these reports of problems into account it would seem that not using it is perhaps a better choice.

Semi-Converged
    <Quote>Your post seems to imply that Avantgo on your phone was set up to only talk to your PC through a sync process and not to go online through the wireless phone link. Is this a correct interpretation? <Quote>

Yes, I can't make data calls with my Verizon account. I have the "Free-up" plan and it disconnects any data calls, no matter what speed. At $15/month, I'm not complaining. It still saves me one thing I don't have to carry with me.