+ Reply to Thread

What file holds Voice Dial info?

My 7135 keeps crashing and trashing all of the settings, including the voice recognition configuration. On the recommendation of others I bought a card and TealBackup software and copied all of the files over. The next time the phone crashed and reset the voice recognition settings I then restored every file from backup, and the voice recognition systems were still zeroed, i.e. no entries.

Does anyone have an idea why the voice recognition files don't appear to be stored in back-upable files?

Thanks,

I know this has been brought up before but I think that the bottom line was that the voice dial file is not a single file. It is a file and some saved and unsaved preferences which makes it variable whether it will restore or not. Oddly, when I restore from the card (using JKware's CardBackup) I get my voice dials back about 75% of the time. Others have noted this with different backup programs as well.
    Here, have a clue. No, take two, they're small.....

I use BackupBuddyVFS for backup, but have not yet needed to restore the phone (soft resets only). If I should need to restore using BB, will voice recognition be restored?

Sometimes... Many old threads talked about this and I seem to remember that no back up program was always reliable in getting the voice dial's back.
    Here, have a clue. No, take two, they're small.....

I've been trying to figure this one out for a while, but its taken me a while to have enough resets to notice any pattern. My phone has been pretty stable for teh 2 and a half years I've had it. At first I thought it depended on what backup program that you used. Now, I think there is some flash ram on the phone side that stores info about some settings, like voice dial, phone etc. I use BackupBuddy VFS and never had any problem restoring my voice tags. There was once when I had a hard reset that required me to setup the whole phone again: banner, phone number and all, and I had to reload the voice stuff as well. I believe some of that information is stored on the phone side, and if is wiped or its connection to the PDA side, you'll have to set it up again... just my theory.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.