+ Reply to Thread

OpenChess program

For those of you who are concerned about the slow down in posts to the 7135 forum here is one to ponder.

I recently installed the free OpenChess program from SourceForge. The program itself works fine, but occasionally, when making a transition from a menu screen back to the game board display, I get an error message about a problem trying to allocate memory. The error message is supposedly from Bebopper which is not even being used at that time. The only response to this message is "OK." Tapping OK removes the error message window and things seem to be fine - for a while. After this message has appeared three of four times, the 7135 usually locks up and requires a soft reset. This only happens while using the OpenChess program.

I opened a bug track with OpenChess but have not yet received a response. I did not find anything on this forum about problems with OpenChess. So, is anyone else using OpenChess and, if so, have you ever seen a problem like this?

Here is an update on the OpenChess issue. The programmer responsible for the program has sent me a modified version of the program that he wants me to try. I'll post the results in this thread.

Another update. I have been using the modified version of the OpenChess program referred to in my previous post to this thread and there have been no occurrences of the problem described therein.

Hey ted
    Would you mind posting a link to the app or perhaps even uploading to the 7135 downloads area. I would like to play with it and I'm too lazy to go and find it.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Funny you should mention it Ted! I too recently installed OpenChess and get exactly the same memory errors from time to time. But I also got the same error from the demos for a couple of other Palm Chess programs, so I figured the blame lay with Bebopper.

Last edited by jazmaan; 11-29-2005 at 07:55 PM.

I put the new OpenChess.prc file into the Palm PDA download area. I am assuming that the author won't mind since it is freeware. Let me know what your experience with this modified version is. I will mention that the author indicated that this version of the program does not using hash memory. Good luck.

Thanks Ted! I'll try it and report back. That FREE Open Chess gives me yet another reason to love my 7135!

Thanks Ted... My six year old just got a chess board for his sixth birthday... I think I'm going to need all the practice I can get.
    mg

Ted
    I can't seem to find the OpenChess app in the Palm PDA downloads are or the 7135 downloads area.... Am I lost?
    mg

Download > New Download Area > Palm pdaphones

I installed it this morning. Everything seems copacetic so far. It still kicks my butt 9 times out of 10 at level 4.

Doh.... I was looking in the OLD download area
    mg

Last update. After informing the author that his modified program (no hash memory) seemed to solve the problem, he has decided to release a new version that has an option setting to use or not use hash memory.

I'm not sure I really know what hash memory is. But since the program still beats me soundly, I guess I don't need it to enjoy the game!

Hashing is a technique used by programmers to speed up access to memory. Basically the process of storing and retrieving data is controlled by a hashing algorithm that reduces the amount of time needed to perform these processes. In the case of a chess program it probably allows the program to check a few more alternative moves in the allocated time.