+ Reply to Thread

Switching Batteries

As my '35 has a quirk from the factory in that it will not charge when in the cradle or on the car charger, but will discharge instead to zero, I charge the batteries alone in the cradle as a habit.

Now. That leaves me changing batteries once a day and I believe, perhaps as a superstition, that I MUST turn off the phone when switching batteries. Two questions:

1. Do I have to do that?

2. Is there any way to skip the boring and idiotic (to me, anyway) re-digitizing exercise every time I switch batteries? Seems like a real waste that it has to be done over and over again.

Thanks.
    Don Cook
    Formerly Coming to You on my Much Missed 7135 by the Sea Now on a Shiny 700P

To the best of my knowledge and experience, removing and reinstalling the battery always results in a soft reset, regardless of whether or not the phone part of the 7135 is on or off.

I can't easily try this D as I have a Millikeys stamp on the graffitti board, but can't you tap "don't show me this again" or something similar when re-digitizing?

I swap batteries daily and only after a (very rare) hard reset do I have to re-digitize.

If not on the digitizer screen, check phone or PDA preferences, as I know it exists.

Good luck!
    Here, have a clue. No, take two, they're small.....

The Reference Guide states that removing and reinstalling the battery will always generate a soft reset. It also says the phone should be turned off before swapping batteries. I do not recall ever being given the opportunity to skip the digitizing process during a soft reset. If there is some kind of "don't show me this again" option associated with digitizing, I can't find it. If anyone knows how to bypass digitizing during a soft reset, please let us know about it.
    Last edited by tedcmiller; 11-13-2005 at 07:34 PM.

Originally posted by tedcmiller
    If anyone knows how to bypass digitizing during a soft reset, please let us know about it.
    Find the "WELCOME" icon and tap it. It takes you through the digitizer sequence. At the bottom of the last page is the "Don't Show Again" button. Tap it.
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

Krazman,
    Thanks (slap, slap), I needed that! In retrospec I realize that the "Don't show this again" button was always present any time the digitizing process was completed. I apparently had never noticed it. Both the User's Guide and the Reference Guide give enough info to get into the digitizer, but they never mention the option to not see it again. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Krazman
    Find the "WELCOME" icon and tap it. It takes you through the digitizer sequence. At the bottom of the last page is the "Don't Show Again" button. Tap it.
    KRAZMAN,

Hah! I always thought that "button" referred only to the screen it was displayed in. What a doofus.

Thanks a lot, it's just that bit more convenient.
    Don Cook

Also, Im in a similar situation and Ive found out if you plug in the charging cord directly to the phone while swapping batteries you wont have any loss of anything.

Then of course as soon as your battery swap is complete unplug it.

If your phone wants to perpetually "power on" after this swap THEN you do a soft reset.

Something to try, food for thought.
    There is no spoon
    Neo can be spelled as One.

There have been other threads where the idea of putting the phone on charge to avoid a soft reset while swapping the battery has been mentioned. One guy had even came up with a technique for swapping the battery while the phone was in the cradle. I guess he didn't want to move the charger from the cradle to the phone and back again. In any case, most problems are solved by the experience of others. That's half the fun of reading these threads.

Now that we all know how to skip the digitizer screen upon soft resets, don't forget that going for months and months without using the digitizer process will put your touch screens out of calibration, resulting in frustration when trying to tap those insanely small buttons on the screen. You can always get to the digitizer again from the PDA Preferences screen.

Thaxman,

Interesting, now that I don't have to digitize every time I change batteries, when the phone comes up it displays the Date & Time subscreen from the Prefs PDA applet, and won't go to the main screen unless I tell it to.

Normal?
    Don Cook

Yeah that's normal. In fact I use that as an opportunity to recychronize my time with the network occasionaly since I leave my time setting to manual. I don't get that annoying hang when I open the phone when I leave the time set to manual.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

By "hang time" do you mean how long it takes for the phone to connect an incoming call after you open the flip??

I'm not sure if this is carrier specific (i'm on Verizon) But many noticed there was a noticable period of unresponsiveness (hang) when opening the flip. I figured out that it must be the phone synching its time so by setting the time option to manual the "hang" went away... refer to this thread.
    Delay when open flip
    mg
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 11-23-2005 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks, MGuzzy,
    BTW, I tried not auto-updating the time (I figured that since the Palm side is on 24/7, it would be the same time) but it wasn't - how do I set it??

In the same area of the Palm prefs were you can define the Time synch to manual... YOu just tap on the date to adjust the date, and tap on the time to adjust the time. But I ususally just uncheck the "manual Time set" option for a moment so the time resynchs with the cellular network and then I remove the check. I ususally do this whenever I do a soft reset as I've found my time will drift a bit... more when the batteries are low.
    mg

There's a great little app called TimePALm that syncs the time to your computer's time during a hotsync so I don't have to connect to the network for this (to avoid the hang MGuzzy was talking about). Ancient, stable, been using it for over a year now. Search for it and I'm sure you'll find it.
    Here, have a clue. No, take two, they're small.....

Yeah that's a great app Oteo, and combined with Dimension4 keeps my PC synchronized with the rest of the universe. ... Otherwise I use the procedure I described in my previous post when I'm away from my PC for a while...
    mg