+ Reply to Thread

Thread: unlocked?

Question unlocked?

I have been looking @ the 7135s on ebay and notice that some of them say unlocked or locked. What does this mean? How can you tell if it's locked/unlocked? How can you unlock it?

Thanks in advance

Phranny19, since you are in Phx, unless you are looking to activate a 7135 on Verizon service, DO NOT buy a Verizon 7135 to use on another network, like Alltel, because Verizon operates in your city & you will pretty much never be able to get that phone to lock onto anything but Verizon.
    Contrary to some rumors, Verizon does not subsidy-lock many of their phones - just prepaid. Some companies do subsidy-lock all their phones - like Sprint - out of fear that as soon as their customer is done with the contract, they will leave (presumably the service is so bad, they will look elsewhere ASAP). Verizon & Alltel do not lock their 7135s, but the PRL - an internal directive that tells the phone which network to use in any specific city in N. America - is so strong that is is very difficult to override it, meaning it will always search for the former comany's signal, causing roaming charges and/or no service. There are ways around the PRL, but it often involves leaving a Verizon area entirely, which is usually too inconvenient.

Thanks for the help!

leaving a verizon area for me is not a problem, but with the prl being different i do not have text or internet. what is the work around that you speak of. please help me out as i bought a 7135 and then became a member of you forum. also do not buy t650 on ebay because they are also 98% sprint phones that make calls with alltel but nothing else.

rainsfather, actually, the PRL only controls which network the phone attempts to access in any given city in N. Amer. There are specific settings req. for the browser to make a data call. My settings are posted here:

Alltel 1xRTT Help

They are accurate but are set to the slower per-minute QNC not the $pricey$ 1X high-speed per Kb connection. I was in a Verizon area a couple mos ago and connected. The screen said "PACKET DATA" unusual for my QNC connection. I've used Alltel's 1X b4 so I knew I was getting the 1X connection message. I stopped using it immediately & waited for the damage on the bill...1X per-Kb usage w/o a data bucket; while "roaming!" But it never got billed per-Kb. It is really starting to look like Verizon is disabling QNC entirely and so even though I have a per-minute data usage, I got the faster stuff for free. We'll see. That stuff never works out.
    The work around is basically to force Alltel's PRL into a phone even though its always pointed toward Verizon. 1 way is to use the other NAM on the phone, which is often blank & unmolested. Another is to leave the Verizon signaled area, getting to an Alltel area where Verizon has no presence, programming the SID to Alltel's SID in that area, setting it to home only, waiting about 15 minutes for it to finally switch to Alltel's digital signal, then doing *228.

Sorry about the text issue. I really don't know where to find those settings.

Anyone who knows, please post & I'll share my Alltels txt settings.