+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whats Next? Any Rumors?

Has anybody heard rumors about a next generation of 6035/7153 style smartphones?

Or are there any confirmations that the family might be discontinued?

I received an e-mail from Kyocera announcing the release of phones that can play Mp3s!

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/slider-remix-phone/

What an innovation!

Originally posted by NEWireless
    I received an e-mail from Kyocera announcing the release of phones that can play Mp3s!

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/slider-remix-phone/

What an innovation!

NEWireless,

I think he was asking specifically about smartphones IE phones with the Palm OS or WIN OS on it.

There is no spoon
    Neo can be spelled as One.

I think Newireless was being scarcastic

I haven't heard of anything new from Kyo on the converged-pda side.

JohnA

WOW!!!! There's a phone out there that can play mp3s? I thought you had to have that crappy GSM phone that plays iTunes!

Oh, wait....
    I forgot that I can load up to 1Gig of mp3s onto my 7135 and don't have to pay for some record exec's holiday bonus to aquire my music!!

I think its pretty confirmed that Kyocera has gotten out of the smartphone biz. Aside from then Treo The next most promising option is that LG has signed Deal with Palm... the implication being that they may start producing some kind of Palm based pdaphone.
    mg

PS: to Thaxman you mean I can play MP3's on my Phone!... man I had it all this time and never new!
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    I think its pretty confirmed that Kyocera has gotten out of the smartphone biz.
    Do you have any evidence that they are out of the market, for example a press release or comment from an executive?

The LG deal is interesting, thanks for that!

Not out, just carefully circling the waters. Late 2006 is a possibility. We shall see.... provided the stars align.

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    Not out, just carefully circling the waters. Late 2006 is a possibility. We shall see.... provided the stars align.
    Hey HoTSynC- Glad to see you're back! And even happier to see your last post!!!

I sat next to Jazz (sps.com) at a car club meeting last week. Your name came up. Quite a coincidence that your posts show up right after.

bk
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

Here is their first official response, painfully ambiguous of course:

Thank you for contacting Kyocera-Wireless Technical Support. This email message is in response to your inquiry regarding purchasing a replaecment phone for your 7135.

We do not currently have a release date for successor to the 7135. Please check the coming soon section on our website, http://www.kyocera-wireless.com to find details for upcoming products including release date information when it becomes available. Alternatively, please check with your service provider to see if they have a release date, as they will be the ones who will be actually selling the phone to the public.
    I'll try some more probing and post the results.

Upon further probing I believe I have hit a wall, or annoyed someone in support:

At this time we do not have any information on the availability of an updated Smartphone model. Any new information will be posted on the Kyocera Wireless "Coming soon" section of our web page (http://www.kyocera-wireless.com). Please visit the site to view any updated information. Information about new or upcoming phones will not be posted until there is an official release publication from Kyocera Wireless.

Originally posted by bforsse
    Upon further probing I believe I have hit a wall, or annoyed someone in support:
    You won't find anything about product direction talking to support. However, a post by HoTSynC can be taken as gospel. He knows what he is talking about.

Alan

OMG a post by AlanB and Hotsync in the same thread on the same day! I feel like I'm in a time warp to the good ole days... Nice to hear from you too Alan.
    Hotsync... I defer to you on this, I should have said Kyo has gotten out of smartphone biz "for now". In the meantime rampant speculation makes our lives interesting..
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Jeez, I hope they don't switch to Windows when they bring out Smartphone: Stage 4!!!!!!!!!

I'm just worried that when the new one comes out that Verizon will be able to get me off my data plan. They keep trying but I'm not budging.

I'll have to try and get on the beta for the new one since I live in San Diego. I beta tested another phone for them before the 7135 came out and I had the 6035.

Don't turn the lights out yet!

Nick.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Sorry I've been away for so long - so many things goin on...

but my first had reset/ lose everything just happened on my 7135 ( and I have no backups!! Grrr) that is April to Nov without any issues other than extreme slowness. stupid cpu speed!

Funny that I was showing someone how my phone was so lsow and how it was acting up and POOF hard reset and I was not able to show anyone anything. Even my carrier logo wen poof!

Phone doesn't work well now at all... my 650 is coming - sigh

it is intersting to note that TREO 700W is on it's way with no word from them on a palm version. That's right Even Treo is going Windows mobile! a quick google search for Treoo 700 will grant many intances of proof.

That spurs on the notions that palm os is up for grabs on teh phone market again. LG niffing it out Kyo making a comeback? will anyone listen? FLip is good, Palm pda phone good.

we'll see - but I still ordered my 650.
    A cat almost always blinks... When struck in the head with a hammer.

Is There a Replacement for 7135 on the Horizon?

That says it all.

Is there a (hopefully palm-based, but I'm not holding my breath) development out there we can look forward to? If not from the odd little company, Kyocera, then from someone else?

Who knows the future 'round here, but isn't under restrictions about talking about it?
    Don Cook
    Formerly Coming to You on my Much Missed 7135 by the Sea Now on a Shiny 700P

Darkside of the Moon
    Well I am glad the lights are indeed still on. I hope the developers and such see that there is a market out there for a palm flip smartphone.
    Keep the rumours coming!

Quote Originally Posted by HoTSynC
    HotS,

Thing is, last time Kyocera was balls-out, devil-take-the-hindmost charging to get a phone out (7135) it was, as I remember, about 18 months late.

So that company "carefully circling", as you doubtless accurately describe it, gives but cold comfort to someone waiting for a new phone while Harold applies beeswax-and-finishing-nails to keep mine together.

If you know what I mean.
    Don Cook
    Formerly Coming to You on my Much Missed 7135 by the Sea Now on a Shiny 700P

I noticed that the 7135 is still for sale on the Kyocera web site. Only Alltel is listed as a service that supports this phone. Has anyone actually tried to order one of these phones from Kyocera?