+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy HELP-Cant connect to internet on 7135 with US Cellular

I got a 7135 last week. The phone was activated with US Cellular but was previously with Verizon. The phone and the PDA work great. The problem that I am having is I cant access the internet. I have Easy Edge with Pic messaging. I have gone through the network settings and set up a wireless modem using the "#777" number and the rest of the settings are as follows:

Service: USCC
    User Name: "my phone number"@uscc.net
    Password: "my phone number"
    Connection: wireless modem
    Phone: #777

It tries to connect but after a few secconds of signing on it says canceling. The other message I have received is a PPP timeout (0x1231) error message. I can hear it beeping every few secconds as if it is trying to do something.

What should I do? Please Help

easyedge (BREW) and picture messaging (MMS) are not 7135 features. They won't help you get out onto the net.

Looks like you have the right values, so I would err on the side of authentication issues setup with your account.

You definately need EaseEdge activated for Internet to work on the 7135. I think I read somewhere on here that if you are trying to use a verizon phone you might need to use the old verizon phone number for the phone number part of the user name and password?

How did you get an old Verizon phone activated on USCC? I was told they won't do that.

I was told it was an old Verizon phone that was flashed and programed for USCC. They (USCC) had no issue with activating it at that point. Tell me more about this "use the old verizon phone number for the phone number part of the user name and password?" How can I find out what the old phone number was?

Using anything but your USCC number for authentication will not work. THese are the values passed to the AAA to allow you a PPP session. It obviously won't allow a Verizon number.

Using the old Verizon info or the old old Verizon browser defaults will not work - that would be like using an old key after the locks have been changed. I suggest someone from USCC devulging their PDA Prefs -> Network -> Details -> Script... settings so that Levi02 can make sure that he has the correct USCC browser settings since his phone did not come with them - if it truly is Verizon (it will say Verizon in the outside & when you power it on)

I have USCC.

Under PDA Prefs -> Network -> Details I have
    Connection Type: PPP
    Idle Timeout: 1 Minutes
    Query DNS: Not checked
    Primary DNS: 192.0.8.10
    (Initially I had the Query DNS checked and after connecting it was automatically changed. When I have connection issues I first try rechecking this)

Script:
    Send: at$qcmdr=3
    Send CR
    Send: at$qcqnc=1

I know I read something somewhere about Verizon phones activated on USCC needing to use the old verizon number somewhere. I searched here and howardforums but couldn't find it.

Are you sure you have EasyEdge activated on your account?

Well Its fixed and this thing ROCKS! If you use US Cellular...you have "2" different phone numbers. The first one is the number that US Cellular knows you by and the next is the number people dial to reach you. Once I found out the number that US Cellular knows me by and put it in...WOW! It works great! Thanks guys for all of your help! I'm now the proud owner of an internet enabled 7135!

OOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!
    Its Very important when describing service related problems to notate if you ported your ph# from another carrier, as that will affect things like the browser.

Originally posted by Levi02
    Well Its fixed and this thing ROCKS! If you use US Cellular...you have "2" different phone numbers. The first one is the number that US Cellular knows you by and the next is the number people dial to reach you. Once I found out the number that US Cellular knows me by and put it in...WOW! It works great! Thanks guys for all of your help! I'm now the proud owner of an internet enabled 7135!
    How did you go about finding the number US Cellular knows you by??? I tried to get it the other night from a local USCC shop and they refused to give it me. I take it that its the luck of the draw as far as getting someone to cooperate with you...

Thanx

I just called my local shop and said I need that number. They gave it to me without any question. You might want to call customer service and try to get it from them. Just keep trying. They should give it to you.

my phone has been doing the same thing for months. i tried reloading the phone firmware but got errors each time.

what exactly is the phone number they "know you by," and where do you enter it? The Primary DNS?

I have Alltel

I've been trying to get along with easy edge activated. I've tried the customer support which looked at my profile and what phone I'm using which then told me that the phone does not support easy edge. Then went to a local shop, and they said...no problem. I walked out and still nothing on the phone. I called this morning and apparently they did not activate easy edge because I have something in my profile that no one should activate easy edge because I have a 7135. It kind of reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elienne (sp?) can't goto any doctors in town because she got sassy with a doctor which she then was wrote up for.

calberts,

I have written alot of info about how to get EIS running on the Alltel network. Most posts are from late summer. Unless you ported your ph# from somewhere else to Alltel, the defaults are basically correct & may only need some tweaking.
    Search for posts w/Alltel & you will find what you need.

Hi all. New to posting here but not to reading. Finally got my 7135 yesterday and love it. My question is this....anyone have any tacticts to get EE activated on my line? I had it before with my old phone, but the rep who activated my 7135 took it off because it isn't an EasyEdge capable phone. So, I am back to the drawing board.

Do I just keep calling Customer Service till I get a rep that doesn't know better? Or can I go to say Radio Shack, which is a U.S. Cellular retailer, agent or however you want to say it.? Can they do it there?

Any and all info will be appreciated as I love the device. It has everything I want and need, except the net! I'm halfway there though.

Thanks to everyone on here for the great help! Off to get my SD card now so I can start Backup Buddy. Thanks for all the great info!!
    K.R.

thaxman:

Thanks for the advice. I just found your post from last summer and all of my settings are identical to yours.

One thing I've noticed about my problem that I haven't read so far in this string is that when I attempt to connect with either EIS or Eudora, the display on top of the phone never shows that a call is being placed. Nor does the hing glow red.

Strikes me as a hardware problem, although I've had this problem several times over the years, and always till now managed to fiddle with the settings and get it working. Should have written down what I did before, because try as a might, I can't hit apon the majic solution.

calberts,

When you get into EIS, hit "visit web", type in an address & go, I assume then that the LCD on top of the phone never starts the call timer clock as it begins to dial up. Right?
    Try this tel# 877-397-8462 its Alltel's tech support & they can look at the way the phone attemps to connect to see if anything can be done. Good Luck.

Originally posted by thaxman
    calberts,

When you get into EIS, hit "visit web", type in an address & go, I assume then that the LCD on top of the phone never starts the call timer clock as it begins to dial up. Right?
    Try this tel# 877-397-8462 its Alltel's tech support & they can look at the way the phone attemps to connect to see if anything can be done. Good Luck.
    Right. With either EIS or Eudora, the LCD never changes. It used to indicate a data call, but no more.

That's wierd. Anyone have any idea why the phone won't dial #777??????

Originally posted by thaxman
    That's wierd. Anyone have any idea why the phone won't dial #777??????
    For what little I am sure it's worth: I can physically dial #777 and the call goes through. It appears that neither EIS or Eudora can manage the same thing.