+ Reply to Thread

Strange 7135 issues and "taking apart" question

My 7135 has been working fine (or so I thought, more below) for the last year, but recently, when I hit the cradle hotsync button, it wouldn't. My stowaway KB also quit working.

After looking at options, I thought my best deal was to just buy a "broken" 7135 on ebay to use with my KB.

Got one for 20 bux, and it works perfectly. IN FACT, FAR BETTER THAN MINE.

Can someone explain to me WHY this 7135 (verizon) is 10 times faster than my old 7135 (alltel?)

For example, "bike or die" on my 7135 was still very slow and choppy with all the video options turned off, This was is super smooth with all options on! Whaz up with that? I'll do more testing, but this is just nuts. Mine takes like 30 seconds to do a reset, this one is done in under 10. Strange.

SO, can I take apart both 7135's (I have the #6 torx bit) and swap the "radio board" to put my alltel service on this other phone?

Any thoughts? Thanks much ! !

It might have something to do with how much "stuff" you have on your unit.

Look at the available memory on both units and Id bet on your Alltell youre close to being full whereas on the Verizon Im assuming it came "clean" so theres nothing but default programs, nothing in the address book etc.
    There is no spoon
    Neo can be spelled as One.

As for the speed difference, dunno. Could be that yours was just messed up, but since it did eventually work, you didn't realize it.

As for the phone board, yep. That's the piece which provides the ESN, so if you move that to the device you prefer, you'll have your carrier on the device you prefer. Mind static discharge, but no big deal otherwise. (Hmm, what about the carrier logo file and stuff?)

I don't know how to start a new thread yet but this one's similar to what I was looking for - a cousin gave me her Kyocera, apparently it had a fall onto the floor and the result is:

- the Kyocera turns on in Palm mode but can't switch on the phone portion. It is fully usable in Palm mode.
    - the phone won't charge off the charger but will work with a charged battery

If I charge the battery in the cradle, I can use it in the phone but that's not a lot of use once the battery runs low in the phone

Is it easy to open the phone up to try to inspect the damage? Those screws look odd on the cover!

Opinion sought: does it sound likely that a connection might have broken to the phone's internal charger or does the above sound like the phone is beyond repairs?

Thanks in advance...

The screws used to retain the 7135 cover are T-6 torx screws (not allen head screws). A good T-6 torx screwdriver can be obtained at Sears.

In phone mode, do you get "Service Required Contact Provider" or does it spend eternity searching for service (since the phone cannot access both: European digital technology and European frequency bands? SRCP means the CDMA digital phone board is fatal. Since the power connectors reside on the phone board, if it shuts down, you can't charge the battery thru the phone. So if you only have 1 battery, removing the battery to recharge the phone results in lost data. If you are wanting a good Palm device to use in Europe, personally I would either look on eBay for a Palm-only device or consider a QUAD-BAND Treo GSM phone (if they exist - usually they are tri-band: N Amer 800/1900 and EU 1800, leaving out the EU 900.

Quad-band GSM phones for use in Europe do exist, but they are still relatively expensive. I bought a tri-band Nokia 3120 phone (900/1800/1900 MHz) from Mobal for use on my last trip to Europe. Note that this phone includes the European 900 MHz band so it has maximum coverage in Europe, but also works in the US. Buying the phone rather than renting and returning a phone is no more costly and will be cheaper in the long run if you use it for more than one trip. Use charges are on a minute-by-minute basis just like rental phones, and the Mobal web site has tables that provide these charges for all countries in which the phone works (e.g., $1.25/min in Italy). On my two week trip this past summer, I incurred a total of $24 in use charges which included one test call here in the US, two calls to the US from Italy, and stopping and starting the Voice Mail. There are no roaming charges so you can leave the phone on all the time.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by thaxman
    In phone mode, do you get "Service Required Contact Provider" or does it spend eternity searching for service (since the phone cannot access both: European digital technology and European frequency bands? SRCP means the CDMA digital phone board is fatal. Since the power connectors reside on the phone board, if it shuts down, you can't charge the battery thru the phone. So if you only have 1 battery, removing the battery to recharge the phone results in lost data. If you are wanting a good Palm device to use in Europe, personally I would either look on eBay for a Palm-only device or consider a QUAD-BAND Treo GSM phone (if they exist - usually they are tri-band: N Amer 800/1900 and EU 1800, leaving out the EU 900.

I just looked at some of the PDA boards I have and it appears that the power connectors reside on the PDA board, not the phone board. Am I right?
    love2bowl2 :-)
    eyebowl@webmail.us