+ Reply to Thread

Anyone running Astraware's Sudoku on 7135?

Sudoku is a really cool game to challenge your brain.

Astraware's web site states OS5 as a minimum requirement, but further down in the text they state it "should work fine with Palm OS 4 devices", but that they haven't done the testing on all the different configurations for this version.

So - has anyone experience with it, for better or for worse?

FWIW - I tried a freeware version of Sudoku - his recent version as of last week. I almost played out one game, then had to go somewhere. When I tried to use the PDA part later, it was locked up and needed soft reseting. Shortly after that I missed a call and when I opened it to check it, it HARD reset. I recovered from SD backup and all seemed ok. Much latter I tried to play a second game, and in the middle of the game it locked up and it was ANOTHER hard reset. Even the opening screen had strange colors on the Palm logo so I reset it again. Very weird stuff. I wonder if it may have to do with the alteration of the auto power down timer (so you can stare at the screen pondering your next move, or where you went wrong), but I don't know.

All seems well after deleting that app.

Anyway - Astraware Suduko experiences anyone?

I played Sudoko for a couple of weeks. At first it was addicting. But then I realized that when you're done with a puzzle, all you have is an unreadable, unesthetic grid of numbers. (Unlike a crossword puzzle where you've got something you can read, and maybe even a bunch of thematically related words.)

Originally posted by jazmaan
    I played Sudoko for a couple of weeks. At first it was addicting. But then I realized that when you're done with a puzzle, all you have is an unreadable, unesthetic grid of numbers. (Unlike a crossword puzzle where you've got something you can read, and maybe even a bunch of thematically related words.)
    I've been a fan of these puzzles for many years -- before they were named "Sudoko". I find the process (logical deduction -- not guessing) more rewarding than the final outcome. Once I've worked through most of the puzzle, I usually abandon it because putting in the obvious numbers is not interesting.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Semi-Converged
    I have a shareware version that has been stable since I installed it a month ago,
    http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew...myprogs/sudoku

He says it is free, but invites you to donate to his beer fund.

Beryl -

It is so nice to hear from you again in this forum!
    Hope your current hardware has been serving you well, whatever it is these days.

Nice to see some of the old gang dropping by for the holidays - HoTSynC was in a couple of times and alanb too.

FWIW - some Sudoku programs have features to automatically fill in the obvious solutions (like one number left), reducing the tedium and letting you focus on the parts that need your attention. IMO, that's one of the things that makes a Palm version superior to the paper and pencil variety.

mbirgen -

Thanks for the link. As I mentioned earlier, I deleted the file from my machine, so I couldn't recall who's version I was using...
    It was Andrew's v1.20 that crashed my machine, twice.
    Hence why I am asking about other versions on the market.

mbirgen thanks for the links...

Beryl nice to hear from you.... so what gives with all the old timers dropping by. Did thier new-fangled PDA-phone gizmos poop out on them and they feel the need to drop by and re-live the vibe.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Semi-Converged
    Ah, I have version 1.19 and it hasn't crashed anything. I think I started with it in October.

I've been running SuLite for a month now with no crashes or problems and it's free
    www.onesir.com/sulite

rr
    rr

rr -

Thank you!!!

I'm downloading it now, and will try it out.

I've googled and searched for another freeware Sudoku app - how did you find this one???

This forum is such a fantastic resource!!

Thanks again.

-ReadOnly

I found SuLite at www.freewarepalm.com. I normally log on each day and see what's new.

rr
    rr

Hmmm - I'd swear that I looked there!?

Maybe I miss-typed my search that time?

BTW, a tip for Google users -
    Add " site:www.freewarepalm.com " to the search line and it will confine the hits to just that site.

Thanks again, rr.

rr

No problems yet. can't get rid of the stupid warning

I've been using Astra Sudoku for a few months now with no problems except for the warning that it may not be completely funtional with my phone. If I could get rid of that, I'd be happy. I especially liked the way the author made registering it online using my 7135 easy. I was stuck on an island with no network connection let alone a way to connect my phone to a computer.

As I said I haven't had any problems with mine. Even downloading the puzzles of the day is no problem.