+ Reply to Thread

"definitive guide" to Kinoma on the 7135

Kinoma FAQ, guide, help, tips, how to

Hate Kinoma with your 7135?
    Ripped movies only to have it look (and sound) terrible?

Please take advantage of my 50+ hours of playing with CUCU soft's AVI to MPEG converter AND Kinoma.

OK, why start with CUCU ?
    Well, it gives you a "standard" for kinoma to deal with.
    You can boost the volume, setup the picture so kinoma gives you the most "full" shot it can, etc, and will convert anything to something kinoma can use (the main reason.)

TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THE FOLLOWING:
    I have tried every setting, twice.
    if you have a better setting, tell me why

Everything I've tested has been wide-screen.. I guess you might want to play a little more if you are using full-screen, but I don't think you'd have to.
    OK:
    Settings in a nutshell:

CUCU:

to mpeg1
    stretch to fit,
    320x320
    uncheck auto-add subtitle
    UNDER OPTIONS:
    24fps
    .8437 sixteen by nine ntsc
    variable bitrate
    level 1
    VBR: 2500max
    2300 average
    2000min
    UNDER AUDIO: 3x volume 48000khz
    (if you go higher than 3x, you'll "blow" the sound, lower and it's hard to hear. 3x is perfect after a NUMBER of tests)

You'll get about 200mb file at that setting (for a 42 minute show).

open the file in Kinoma producer 2

KINOMA

SOUND: I wouldn't use audio boost, it adds a slight hiss.
    USE 32KHz UNCOMPRESSED. Sound quality is better than compressed, and compressed takes longer to complete the file. (Strangely enough, I got SMALLER file size than at 8, maybe because there is less "hiss" and hiss=file size?) 4 and 16 are beyond useless, you get a very VERY annoying "TICK". (you still get a TICK at 8 and 32, just not AS annoyting) (AND IS MINIMIZED GREATLY by use of afterbuner 3.1, see below)

COMPRESSED sound sounds.. horrible and only saves about 9% of the file size and you get a CONSTANT AND ANNOYING background hiss (in my tests, YMMV)
    Also, it takes about 4 times longer to convert the file if you compress it.

AUDIO BOOST adds a bit of hiss. I wouldn't use it.

LAYOUT: set it to full 160x160,

You can use any one of a number of settings for video. I use 15FPS, 400
    Your 7135 will handle 24FPS, 480 but the file size wasn't worth the difference if you ask me. YMMV.

on a 42 minute show, you'll have a file size of around 140MB.

I've run it compressed, 8Mhz, 15FPS 320 and had the file size run about 120MB, so for the extra 30 MB, the picture / sound quality is worth it.

HERE IS THE KICKER. All of this is useless unless you overclock your 7135 (at least slightly)
    It will look jerky and sound like absolutely clicky crap unless you use do this!

For anyone that says NOOoooo! ! !
    Sorry, I don't believe you. I've OC'd mine since the day I've gotten it and NEVER EVER had a problem.

I use hackmaster and AFTERBURNER 3.1
    My settings: (played with all of them to get the best out of Kinoma)
    Checked: fast mpx, fast page, slow mpx, adjust ticks
    Unchecked: Fast hotsync, notify on (all)
    Default: 39 MHz (yep, everything is much snappier and never had a problem with the phone side)

Find: 30Mhz
    LCD/n 2
    Gray off
    Accel Always
    slow never
    Lclk/2 33MHz

tap "speeds", scroll down to Kinoma and set it to 43. FOURTY THREE. Not fourty two, not fourty four. 43. (trust me, tons of research here)

You'll have a file that looks about as good as the 7135 can and sounds.. pretty decent.
    I REALLY recommend any kind of earpiece (my jabra one cuts down on the hiss quite a bit as a bonus.)
    You'll still get a slight click, but only really noticable on long held notes in music. Please note you can use any earpiece for any phone as long as you don't mind the sound in only one ear, and I don't.

Well, that's it. e-mail
    m e l crose at gggggeeeeemail.duh
    (you can figure it out) if you have any questions.

I feel the need to tell you that the only reason I spent this incredible amount of time was to rip the entire firefly series down to my phone.
    If you haven't experienced it, Go out and get the boxed DVD's and watch for the movie (Serenity) coming Dec 20.

I hate country, I hate cowboys, I love FIREFLY. If one person becomes a fan, all my time spent is worth it.

Enjoy!
    Jeff

Also, if you "fast forward" in a file, you may need to tap the screen and then hit play. That will re-sync the video and sound.

Well I enjoyed reading your post but, sorry I have to say "Nooooooo!" to overclocking. I'm too risk-aversive! Just curious though, how long does it take you to go through all those steps until you can actually watch a half-hour episode on your phone?

melcrose
    You should post this in the 7135 FAQs as well
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Originally posted by jazmaan
    Well I enjoyed reading your post but, sorry I have to say "Nooooooo!" to overclocking. I'm too risk-aversive! Just curious though, how long does it take you to go through all those steps until you can actually watch a half-hour episode on your phone?
    I had the numbers, but tossed them by mistake. My guess is, for a 42 minute ("hour-long" show) is about:
    CUCU: 20 minutes
    Kinoma: 1.5 hours.

But, hey, for firefly, it's worth is. (BLATENT PLUG)

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    melcrose
    You should post this in the 7135 FAQs as well
    mg
    Sorry, I don't know how. Feel free to copy and paste to do it yourself, just don't forget the "tap after you fastforward to synch sounds" thing.