+ Reply to Thread

stylus calibration

Has anyone experienced the set-up program locking up on the stylus calibration screen? The "X" moves from corner to corner to center but then continues to do it over and over again never giving you a "completed" or " Done" option/prompt. I am not able to turn the unit off and none of the buttons have any effect. I have tried soft/hard resets w/ and wo/ the battery, plugged in and not plugged in. any suggestions would be appreciated.

It sounds like your screen may have something stuck on it or may be broken. When you reset, it automatically goes to the digitizer, and obviously knows the general region of where you need to tap to hit the x, because if you tap the screen nowhere close to the x, it will keep trying until you get it somewhere close, then do the same for the graffiti pad.

I appreciate the response. I understand and agree with your prognosis. Is there a fix for this or should I begin shopping? thanks gb

If you can't find something physically on the screen causing it to click, I would check into a replacement, or possibly fixing - see this thread about someone who fixes 7135s: Ebayer fixing 7135s?

Thanks again, last question. Is this phone e-911 and gps rated ?

Just to check - did you try a hard reset as well, or just a soft reset? - NM was in original post
    Last edited by TJSunDevil; 12-02-2005 at 11:36 AM.

I tried " missing the moving X " and it worked. but now i'm not sure they will activate it because of e-911 ?

Yes the 7135 is completely compliant to all REQUIRED FCC specs. But, because it is 3 yrs old now, there are data speed specs that is does not have - it is NOT EV-DO (but is 1X), and will not stream your carrier's Brew-format video, but according to some threads in this forum, overclocked processors will allow it to play video from storage.

Did you ever get the touchscreen feature to sych with the location of the stylus???

Yes i did ! the phone seems to operate fine. But now Verizon says they can't activate it because it is not e911 compliant ?

Look at past comments in various threads - there is alot of speculation going on, but Verizon doesn't want the 7135 to be added to people's accounts - some think its because of the data plan - alot of people who got set up w/7135s 2-3 years ago got 1X data billed as airtime, not a $50 separate data charge. Some think its because it has a bad rep, & some think it may wreak havoc on their network. Who knows - just keep calling back & eventually someone will either activate it or see that you keep calling in and put huge remarks on your account to not activate it under any circumstance (remember, always be REALLY nice to these people - call center reps keep all kinds of notes on your interactions w/them)

Oh yeah, tell them KYOCERA verified it is E911 compliant & that you won't accept that as a reason for not activating it.

I think thaxman is correct when he says that Verizon is throwing up phony road blocks to activation of 7135s. Verizon no longer supplies the phone and for some strange reason seem to want to get all of the 7135s off their network including the ones that they supplied and that are still working OK. It probably has something to do with trying to make life easier for the reps and store people who find the smart phones a little too complex. I guess that is one of the benefits of being on Alltel, since they still supply and support the 7135. As thaxman suggests, keep trying. Many people have reported being denied a 7135 activation by one Verizon rep only to have another Verizon rep activate it with no questions.

e911 Phase 1 vs. Phase 2?

I just spent an hour + on the phone with Verizon, trying to switch activation from the current 7135 I'm using, to a different 7135 that has never been used (still in the box). They told me that the phone I am trying switch to is NOT "phase 2" e911 compliant, but that my other (currently using) 7135 IS phase 2 e911 compliant, and so because of that (they could tell by the serial number), they will not activate it the other phone.

Is there really a "phase 1 and phase 2" e911? Did Kyocera make both versions? Is there a way to update the phone if that is true?

I've got a brand new, good for nothing 7135 if what they are telling me is true!

Help!

D.

I have no idea what "e911" means much less what"phase 1 and phase 2 e911" are. Perhaps someone out there can enlighten us all. That, of course, assumes that I am not the only one who is in a state of total ignorance as to the meaning of these terms.

I think that would be regurgitated globbledy-gook getting passed down from management to middle-management to call-center supervisor to call-center peon. E911 is basically the ability for emergency services to locate the position of a cell-phone caller with the same efficiency as they can locate a land-line caller. Landline telco's (telephone company) pass along the physical address where the phone number is wired in to emergency services - it pops up right on their screen with the ph#. Cell phones don't have an exact physical address since they are - SURPRIZE!! - mobile. Phase 1 (I believe) was when the carriers shared with emergency services the location of the cell tower being used to transmit the call, but in flat rural areas, 1 cell tower could transmit over a 20 mile radius! Pie-R-squared equals a potential search radius of 1256 sq miles!!!!!
    Phase 2 is 3 part- the phone has a scaled-down GPS chip which is supposedly hack-proof, (so don't bother trying to tap into it if somehouw you can actually find it in the phone) The carrier has software that interfaces with the phone's GPS chip when in "emergency mode", and the local 911 call center has software to communicate with the carrier. If your phone has a GPS indicator on the screen (Kyo uses the cross-hairs & a red slash means its 911-only mode) then it is compliant, but like I said, this is a trnaslation of a translation of a translation of an excuse to not allow the 7135 on the network.
    Alltel was actually E911 Phase2 compliant BEFORE Verizon in AZ, and they still allow the 7135 on the network.

Thanks, I knew that most phones have an "emergency location" capability using cellphone tower location, but I did not know that there was more than one version of this capability. I think you are correct in that Verizon is using this to avoid activating 7135s. After all, how many old and new phones of all kinds are out there now that have both versions of the emergency location capability? They obviously still work.

E911 phase2 was built into all new models that came out starting about 3 years ago, older models most likely will not have this capability. Apparantly, the FCC has been auditing carriers, requiring a specific percentage of phones in service be E911 capable based on model, which is tracked by esn.
    Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I GET IT!

Verizon has ERRONEOUSLY tagged some 7135 esns as being NON-COMPLIANT!!!
    Perhaps a complaint needs to be brought to the great VerizonGods that this is an error, since all 7135s are compliant based on the fact that the model was designed after the req was instituted!

No, I think Verizon might have fix their problem. Go to the URL http://www.vzwshop.com/e911/MakeModel.aspx and look up Kyocera 7135 is E911-capable.

A call to VW cust. service proved to be useless. Even though it says the 7135 is an approved phone they insisted that the info was eroneous. I am now trying to get a trade in. Anyone need a 7135 with acces. and a sph-i330 with accessories ?

Just spoke with the Cust. service mgr. and he said that he confirmed that the reason for not acctuating the 7135 is not the e911 issue but that there have been so many problems (for verizon) that it is now a company policy not to accept new 7135 acctuations except for existing large corporate accounts.

Funny how the 7135 is a bag-o'-worms, but the 600/650 which can't even be held tightly is a-ok....