+ Reply to Thread

Asurion No Longer Carries 7135

I called Asurion yesterday to try and replace my 7135 (since I know Verizon no longer replaces them) and was told that they no longer carry that model at all. The rep said the closest replacement they had was a Treo 600. When I asked about the 650, they said they couldn't replace the 7135 with that either. If you're like me, and have been paying $5.99 a month to ensure you'd be able to get a 7135, you might want to cancel your insurance.

Since all Assurion would give you is a refurb 7135 anyway, you're prob better off anyway. I know I wouldn't want someone else's defective 7135, repaired or not.

TJ... Interesting, i figured that would happen at somepoint. I too have been paying insurance on my phone but I'm wary to take it off my bill for fear that will be just enough of a change to my account that they VZW to force me into a data plan. YOu see I'm one of those that got Vzw to add the 1x service (national access) to my plan from my regular minutes. I would be interested to see if anyone esle was able to remove the insurance charges without incuring any other changes to their account? Anyone?
    TJ-I think your best bet to get a 7135 is to call the data group at verizion ( I assume that is your carrier). From other posts is sounds like that is the route to go to get a 650 out of the deal.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Thanks for the info. I called VZW and canceled my insurance. The techie said that the Treo 700w is coming soon. I wasn't interested. MAYBE I'll be interested in a 700p but who knows when or if that is coming. The 700 doesn't seem to be much of an improvement over the 650. It will take a bigger advance than that before I give up my 7135.

jazmaan -

From what I have read and seen (reports for financial investors), Palm intends to introduce LOW COST versions next, and not a new top end.

I suspect they are enjoying selling the 650 and aren't wanting to upset the apple cart as long as sales are strong.

SO - DON'T expect a top of the line replacement anytime SOON.

Now, as to what features they will incorporate into a low cost model - who knows. But I would be VERY suprised if they do a clam-shell model - they have so often stated they think hinges are a major liability (they asked investors to think about going to the beach, etc, and what that would do to hinges and sliders). And they are a liability - IF they aren't done right, like on the 7135! And of course that ADDS cost.
    Add to that Palm themselves fouled up on their own slider - but that seemed to be largely a simple lack of attention to assembly details (a little thread lock would have done wonders for them and their reputation!!!).
    So they are likely too scared/averse to do another articulated unit, unless some focus group study can convince them otherwise ... if they would even fund one

Originally posted by jazmaan
    Thanks for the info. I called VZW and canceled my insurance. The techie said that the Treo 700w is coming soon. I wasn't interested. MAYBE I'll be interested in a 700p but who knows when or if that is coming. The 700 doesn't seem to be much of an improvement over the 650. It will take a bigger advance than that before I give up my 7135.
    jazmaan
    Are you on MOU... I would be interested to find out if they take that away when you removed your insurance plan....keep us posted.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Asurion Replacement

My 7135 gave up the ghost yesterday, I called Asurion, and was told they no longer have the 7135, but they can send me out a Treo 650. It should arrive today by DHL. YMMV