+ Reply to Thread

mp3 player question

converting from audio cd to mp3 for download onto phone.

how do i do it? the kyocera mp3 desktop doesn;t recognoze any of my music ripped to my computer. i know this is a newbie question, but this is the first mp3 player i have owned!

Are you trying to make a ringtone or store mp3 media to listen to? Ringtones must be converted and there is alot of discussion on how to do it in the 7135 "old" download area. mp3 media to listen to must be stored on a card to be retreived. Can't keep it in the 16M of memory for some reason.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    For converting music, get dbPowerAmp at http://www.dbpoweramp.com.
    Michael

Hey, Michael
    I followed your suggestion & got a version of the freeware that only had a 1 month trial of direct-to-mp3 ripping capabilities. Any way around this? Actually, when I did a mass-ripping effort, I found out that I had alot of ripping errors using dbPowerAmp. But, this was only ripping from CD to mp3 directly. Do you have any knowledge of any software bugs?

I use RealPlayer to create MP3s which I then download to the phone using the Kyocera MP3 Desktop which came on the CD with the phone. You also have to start up the Downloader utility that is already installed on the phone. The Kyocera MP3 Desktop establishes a connection to the Downloader through the cradle. Note that HotSync is not involved in this process. You can use other programs to create the MP3s such as Nero Burning.

It might also be possible to put the MP3s on the phone using Quick Install but I have never tried it. The Kyocera MP3 Desktop/Downloader combination is kind of slow, so if the Quick Install works it might be faster.

A RealPlayer utility for installing MP3s directly from RealPlayer running on the desktop to a Palm OS PDA is available, but it runs only on Palm OS5 or higher so, unfortunately, that is not an option for the 7135.

Ted
    I've never had good luck with the downloader utility....Its SOOOO SLOOOOW!. Instead I just copy the files using whatever file manager on my PC to the SD card via a card reader.

Kremlon;
    What mp3 player are you using, the one that came with the phone...yuck! I remommend you take a look at bebopper (www.belltools.com) or kyoamp (can't remember the site). They are much more featured. Copy your ripped mp3's to the audio folder on the SD card and you're good to go. If you're using one of the other players you can arrange your albums in subfolders of the audio folder. Also don't forget to set your bitrate no greater than 128. Any faster and the audio will skip... Check the FAQ's for a play by play.
    Thaxman
    I use DBPowerAmp as my primary ripper. It has worked great for years! Not sure what version I'm using, but I know its free!

mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I talked with someone recently who mentioned that about a year ago the mp3 format was tied up in court (last Christmas, there was a noticable ABSENCE of mp3 players brought to market), and then people switched to .ogg format instead. That was about when I checked out dbPowerAmp, so I gues that's why I didn't get the ripper for free forever. I am just disappointed because I converted 20 Gigs of music using the 1 mo free trial & about 1 in 12 songs has errors so I have to re-rip using a really old version of MusicMatch, which can't be updated or I lose that free mp3 ripper, too.

Semi-Converged
    I find that RealPlayer works well for me as an mp3 ripper, etc.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Originally posted by thaxman
    Hey, Michael
    I followed your suggestion & got a version of the freeware that only had a 1 month trial of direct-to-mp3 ripping capabilities. Any way around this? Actually, when I did a mass-ripping effort, I found out that I had alot of ripping errors using dbPowerAmp. But, this was only ripping from CD to mp3 directly. Do you have any knowledge of any software bugs?
    I use dbPowerAmp all the time and have no problems with it. What kind of errors are you talking about?
    Michael

I would avoid the Downloader program since, as Mguzzy says, it is very slow. However, I have not had any problems using it. Unfortunately I do not yet have an SD card reader/writer. Maybe I should get one. I'll have to see if I have any open USB ports available.

Ted
    They are pretty cheap, around $25, for about 40 you can get one that will read all the different memory card formats that are out there (I speak of the Sandisk 12in1).

thazman
    If you want I can send you the version of DbPoweramp that I am using...send me a PM if you're interested.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

the dbPowerAmp freeware I downloaded came w/a 1 mo trial of the LAME encoder for ripping straight to mp3, which they said was not avail w/o purchase anymore (they sound bitter, too) I have 250-300 discs & went on a ripping spree b/c I have an mp3 player in the car &, you know, 1 disc vs. 10 discs...
    When I took my 1st burned mp3 disc into the car, I noticed that an avg 1 song from each album (usually track 12-14) had imperfections - small as 1 sec of white noise up to 2 min of garble.
    I don't need the ripper anymore since my entire library is encoded, but the sheer annoyance of having to go album by album to discover the imperfection is time consuming.

When it comes to converting to wav to cut into chunks suitable for ringtones, I thing I am okay, but I am a little hazy on how to use the Windows sound recorder. Any advice would be much appreciated.

ted - when your printer dies, just invest in one with a built-in card reader if you are low on spare USB connections. With the 7135 and a Motorola V710 with the memory card, that was the best computer decision I ever made! (screw pay-for picture mail!!!!!!!)

I use LameXP to rip CD to mp3. The good thing about LameXP is free and the utility is very to use and so many options too. Go to google and search for LameXP.

Sorry, my brain is ahead of my hands. I meant that the utility is very easy to use and has many options.