+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Verizon's claim 7135s are not E911 compliant - IMPORTANT!

In another thread, we were discussing E911, and it occurred to me that since the FCC is auditing each carrier for compliance to E911 regulations, 1 thing the FCC requires is that a certain % of active phones are E911 Phase2 capable. They are tracking this info based on model (just about any model brought to market <3 years ago is going to be compliant, where older models sold side-by-side the new models in the summer/fall of 02 were most likely non-compliant)
    Anyway, with millions of phones out there, they can only track them by esn. Some insider info: the 1st 3 digits of the decimal esn are tied to the manufacturer, so like a VIN, each esn has info about who makes it & what model it is & when it was made.

Verizon may have made an error when tracking 7135s. We know that ALL 7135s are compliant because Kyo built E911 compliance into them from the start (knowledge of E911 goes all the way back to 1999) but it appears that they have lumpoed a large lot into the non-compliance list. I am unaffected by this, but I recommend that the Verizon users in the forum somehow get the attention of Verizon's gurus to fix this apparant error.

I was checking my account from Verizon web site. I found out that there was a link for 'Check your phone if E-911 capable' under 'Equipment and Plan' tab. I went through all the steps and finally selected the manufacturer and model for the phone. Curiously enough, Kyocera 7135 is in 'E911-capable'.

I guess Verizon finally get the phone straighten out now. At least, if someone from Verizon keep saying this phone is not E911-capable, tell them to go to this url: http://www.vzwshop.com/e911/.

I just find out that you can go right to the page http://www.vzwshop.com/e911/MakeModel.aspx to bypass the above link I mentioned.

awatt,

Many thanks for that. Anybody got any idea whether this sways VZW toward registering 7135's?

Or do they require Phase 2 compliance which AFAIU the 7135 is not.
    Don Cook
    Formerly Coming to You on my Much Missed 7135 by the Sea Now on a Shiny 700P

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Originally posted by DCookinLB
    awatt,

Many thanks for that. Anybody got any idea whether this sways VZW toward registering 7135's?

Or do they require Phase 2 compliance which AFAIU the 7135 is not.
    According to user "HoTSynC" on this site, the 7135 is Phase II compliant. See his posting on this page -> No More 7135 Verizon Activations!
    Last edited by SilvrDrgn; 12-09-2005 at 07:53 AM.
    Michael

I have said the same thing & have spelled it out very clearly...I will post the link to that thread....

stylus calibration

Everything you didn't want to know about E911....

stylus calibration

Everything you didn't want to know about E911....

Thaxman,

Excellent rundown. Thanks.
    Don Cook
    Formerly Coming to You on my Much Missed 7135 by the Sea Now on a Shiny 700P

Also check here... the horses mouth as it were:
    www.fcc.gov/911/enhanced
    and this thread ReadOnly has a good explaination as well...
    http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...911#post398189

mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

My 7135 went on the fritz (again) today, but I could not get it to hard-reset - I think my backlight button is broken. Anyway, I brought it in to the Verizon store, and they put me through to Verizon. I thought I would get a new 7135, but they claim it is not e911 compliant, so they are sending me a free Treo 650. If the Treo can play MP3's while running AvantGo I'll be happy, but I sure will miss the clamshell design.

Angry they are 911 compliant

I've been reading these posts and have found them very interesting. I just bought a 7135 from ebay and it looked like a great phone. I called Verizon a week ago to see if it was compatible with their network and they said it was. I received the phone yesterday and called them today.

At first I was told there was no way the phone would work, because it was not e-911 compliant. After talking to two supervisors and with the help of this thread. I was finally told e-911 was not the issue . The phone is e-911 compliant. The issue had something to do with "consumer complaints".

I'm pretty angry about this, but I'm not sure what to do. If anybody has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Call on a weekend at night or like 5 am. In call centers, all the new hires get the awful shifts. Maybe some uninformed newbie will activate it no questions asked.

Angry 7135 blocked out

I also had just bought a mint 7135 verizon will not activate, I went through several cs, tried data support, went to a local v store and a dealer, went up the cs line of cammand and got them to credit my bill for the amount of the phone. Still not happy (no treo, no interest) heard some people mention i500 can work as a phone on verizon, may do that.

I don't think Verizon offers the i500 (it appears to be available only from Sprint). It will be interesting to see if Verizon will activate an i500.

Verizon backs the i600 - the PPC version, not the Palm version. Then they brought out & dismissed the i800 or i850 or something - was dual-band CDMA & dual-band Euro-GSM for international travel. I wonder if they are trying as hard to get that bomb off the network as they are the 7135...

On second thought, I doubt it - all those users would have already succumbed to adding a (real) data plan.

read on diff thread, some have activated i500 on verizon but no data, which is no big deal to me, just want a clam shell phone, and Palm PDA in one unit for the calander and tracking milage, not into surfing the web on a 3" device. Anyway if anyone hears of a way to get a 7135 on verizon its worth $$$ to me

I just got off the phone with Verizon about the 7135 and they're still using the "non E911" excuse for not re-activating the phone. I had it activated on my old account but there were some issues and in the process, the phone got deactivated. And the trade in deal appears to be kaput as well.
    KJB

Quote Originally Posted by awatt
    I was checking my account from Verizon web site. I found out that there was a link for 'Check your phone if E-911 capable' under 'Equipment and Plan' tab. I went through all the steps and finally selected the manufacturer and model for the phone. Curiously enough, Kyocera 7135 is in 'E911-capable'.

I guess Verizon finally get the phone straighten out now. At least, if someone from Verizon keep saying this phone is not E911-capable, tell them to go to this url: http://www.vzwshop.com/e911/.
    I also saw that the 7135 was listed there as E911 compliant.

But I went there today, and it is no longer listed.

Vincent

The conspiracy plot thickens....