+ Reply to Thread

Complete Restore?

My '35 won't charge a battery in the phone, so I charge them in the cradle and exchange them. And it has gone well enough, with turning the phone off before switching. But.

The last two times I did that, the phone emptied completely, leaving the various databases with no data. So that changing batteries now requires a new hotsync, with the desktop given priority, so it will restore all my stuff (like custom screens), which takes most of an hour.

Does anybody know why this is happening? Or what to do about it?

Thanks.
    Don Cook
    Formerly Coming to You on my Much Missed 7135 by the Sea Now on a Shiny 700P

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    The 7135 has an internal backup power source that retains the memory for a very short time while you switch batteries. The only way that internal power source is charged up is by having a fully charged main battery installed, and by plugging the 7135 itself into a power source like a powered cradle or a travel/car charger. So, if you have not plugged a power source actually into the 7135 for a while (such is the case by the sounds of your description), then most likely the internal battery is depleted. Resolve it by charging up one of your main 7135 batteries fully. Put in it the 7135 and then plug in the 7135 itself to a power source for a few hours (overnight would be best). In the meantime before you do that, you can always plug the 7135 into a power source while you are actually switching the main battery.
    Michael

I read about your problems w/the chargers...are both your pin connector for the car/travel charger bad AS WELL AS the cradle connector?

Michael,

Resolve it by charging up one of your main 7135 batteries fully. Put in it the 7135 and then plug in the 7135 itself to a power source for a few hours (overnight would be best).
    Thanks for replying. My eternal burden, here, is that when my 7135 is plugged into any charging source, whether car or cradle charger, it loses charge until the screen is black and nothing will turn it on again but another battery.

Just as an experiment, and in response to yours, I put my 7135 with its partially charged main battery into the cradle, just now, and, indeed, after about 1/2 hour of the battery icon showing charge, it was depleted, not charged. It in fact successfully changed batteries after that treatment, but I'm not assured that the internal battery is fully "up".

So maybe now I'll try it with a fully charged battery and hope I don't forget to remove it before the battery is depleted.

Whew!

I'm actually beginning to question how long I'm going to be able to do all this. Bought it pretty cheap on eBay, and I WAS hoping that I would be able to hold off on replacing it until they came out with another righteous PDA phone superceding the sort of vanilla 650, but not everything works out.
    Don Cook

Originally posted by thaxman
    I read about your problems w/the chargers...are both your pin connector for the car/travel charger bad AS WELL AS the cradle connector?
    Thaxman,

Thanks for replying. Neither is bad AFAIK, as the cradle charger, for instance, charges a battery alone just fine. And, I tried using a charger from another phone that fits mine, and still no joy. It appears to be the phone itself.
    Don Cook

DCookinLB, if you can find another shell for cheap and feel comfortable disassembling the phone, how about swapping your bad connector ports for the cheap replacement? Since I have not taken mine apart I am not sure if the ports are soldered to one of the boards or which on if they are, or if they are are the case & touch the boards instead, but it may be worth an investigation.

alas, thanks to pics on this thread, it is clear that the connectors are soldered to the CDMA board. Sorry, bad suggestion.

Possible solution to SRCP / Random Offs!

DCookinLB,
    Still vexed by that battery thang aye? Thaxman's suggestion would be something to try if it is the charging ports on the phone, as I figure as well. If it is in the circuitry it may not be as easy, I forget wether the charging circuit is on the phone board or the PDA board.
    Also you may want to try some SD backup software. I use the free version of BackupBuddyVFS that was available when the phone first came out. There are many others. A restore takes 15 min or so, and seems more complete than a hotsync.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.