+ Reply to Thread

what I did with my phone last weekend

I have been reading all of the posts for about 2 years since I got my 7135. I never logged in because I didn't have anything to contribute. This web site has given me innumerable tips and advice in the last 2 years---and I thank you all for that.
    My phone is running great and I hope it never dies because in my opinion, there is no replacement. I check out the web for free if I want to----I play mp3’s ----I have a program which has every pharmaceutical makers' drug info at my fingertips----I check my yahoo e-mail from anywhere for free----tetris---datebook----address book----it’s a pager that quickly calls people back with one click---distinctive rings—A CLAMSHELL THAT WON’T GET DAMAGED LIKE OTHER PHONES-----the list goes on and on.
    The reason why I felt compelled to finally contribute is what I did with my Phone last weekend---the ultimate in nerdidum. I downloaded a program called omni remote pro which I’m sure you all know, turns your phone into a remote control for ANY TV. I was at the Eagles/Giants game last weekend about 5 rows from the field. The remote camera on the sidelines is positioned in front of the fans and has a large TV on it so that when it’s moves in front of the fans, people can watch the TV so they can still see the action. Long story short. I'm a Giant's Fan at an Eagles game. The Eagels were starting to get momentum so I turned off the TV with my phone. Giants eventually won in the end. THAT'S THE POWER OF THE 7135. My friend (Eagles fans by the way) could not believe that I could do that with a phone.
    Why can't Kyocera make a little smaller and faster CLAMSHELL version of this phone? I think with the proper marketing, everybody would get it.

WAY to GO Fahtahs! That's a good one! BTW welcome to the forum...as a poster that is...
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

On the flip side, the good thing about using the remote included w/the TV/DVD/etc is that you get more exercise searching for the remote than you ever did getting off the sofa and changing the station manually!
    As much as I want the capability in my phone, my body would hate me for it!

how do you check out the web for free?

Kremlon
    the 7135 has a built in web browser, EIS. Plus there are other browsers out there that are freeware. The phone just needs to be told how to use the browser, which is how it usually comes defaulted.

i don't really understand how to use the net with my phone (never done it before) but i know verizon told me it would be like $30 a month for internet on my phone. i have friends with handheld pcs that can pick up free wi fi at coffee shops and such, i wish the 7135 had the same. so can you use a different provider than verizon with the 7135 browser? be specific, again im a 7135 net newbie!

Ya'know, I've never gotten into the whole Wi-Fi thing. Too many security issues. Good 'ol CDMA-based wireless data is unencryptable. I heard that about 4-5 years ago, a university research dept was able to "hack" a CDMA conversation 1 time. Problem is, they couldn't duplicate it. From what I heard afterward, no one has been interested in continuing their research.
    I know TMobile went & setup Wi-Fi @ what seems like all the Starbucks in the universe & most airport jetlounges. But they charge $20-$30/mo. AND IT ONLY WORKS W/I 200 FT OF THE LOCATION! The only places I know of that are completely free are public/state universities, but I could be wrong, too. Like I said, I don't play w/public access Wi-Fi.
    There seems to be some issues @ Verizon...mainly the decision made in the boardroom seems to be to hoarde all data communications unless the customer signs up for an Express Network or Broadband connection @ $insane.95 per month.
    No where that I have read have I been able to confirm if they blocked all QNC traffic w/o a "data plan" If they have, I don't understand how they did it, technically speaking.

Originally posted by Kremlon
    i don't really understand how to use the net with my phone (never done it before) but i know verizon told me it would be like $30 a month for internet on my phone. i have friends with handheld pcs that can pick up free wi fi at coffee shops and such, i wish the 7135 had the same. so can you use a different provider than verizon with the 7135 browser? be specific, again im a 7135 net newbie!
    Connecting to the internet through a Wifi connection and is different than connecting through a cell phone network. A Wifi network, on of the 802.11x standards, is a short range wireless standard. It is not built into the 7135 and though there are SD cards that can provide that sort of connectivity to palm devices none are compatible with the 7135. Not only do most require OS5 the 1735 SD slot does not support it.
    The 7135 can connect to the internet through a cell phone networks internet connection with 1x if your carrier and account feature supports it . Or via the slower qnc connection, that usually doesn't require anything special added to your account. I hope that makes sense. there is a lot of discussion on this topic in the past threads.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.