+ Reply to Thread

Remove file from ROM

So I know this sounds impossible, but I want to remove a file from ROM. Somehow I got the mmclib hack file in ROM on my 7135, and my external sounds do not work at all with the file installed. (I know this because I've tried installing it before, and it caused all the sounds to not work in speakerphone) I know its possible to remove it from RAM by changing its type, converting to non-read only, and resetting. When you try to edit the ROM file in any way though, of course it says its read-only. I am running the latest SZ 1.0.29 MZ 1.0.44, but is it possible to flash it and get rid of the file?

First are you sure the file is in ROM and not RAM. An app will only install to the RAM via a hotsync. if you did a hard reset it should revert the unit to the factory installed applications. Its possible that it is set to read only and you can change the attributes using a file manager app such as FileZ. Then you can delete it.
    Accessing the ROM (that is those files that are present after a hard reset) is possible with a suite of Programs called Jack Flash and Jack Sprat. Search the 7135 forum for them and you'll get lots of hits. Be aware that removing files from the ROM can have detrimental effects if the wrong files are removed.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Wow, I didn't even realize it was possible to modify the flash ROM from an app... The mmclib file was in ROM, so I loaded another copy into RAM and deleted that one. Then I downloaded JF&JS trial versions, and the file did not show up after they did a flash scan.

Originally posted by TJSunDevil
    Wow, I didn't even realize it was possible to modify the flash ROM from an app...
    That's because there's actually no ROM on this device but rather Flash RAM. It it was ROM there would be no way to update the firmware without installing a new ROM chip.