+ Reply to Thread

change from Alltel to Verizon

I have a pefectly good 7135 I got from Alltel that I love. Can anyone tell me how to make it work on Verizons network. Verizon tried to activate it but it kept failing. Many thanks in advance

Verizon is no longer activating the 7135's on their network. They claim that although it has aGPS, the GPS does not meet the current standards for e911.

Staying with Alltel may be your only choice.

Alan

You know what's sad, though.
    I had been in the industry 7 years, 5 of them tied very closely to Verizon/Airtouch. This is the very 1st time in 7 years they have ever aggresively sought to remove an entire phone model from their customer base. And they have had some real stinkers out there. Anyone remember the Nokia 2180???? How about the Nokia 5180? These phones were actually leaving customers stranded without service, yet Verizon ignored their existance!

Originally posted by thaxman
    You know what's sad, though.
    I had been in the industry 7 years, 5 of them tied very closely to Verizon/Airtouch. This is the very 1st time in 7 years they have ever aggresively sought to remove an entire phone model from their customer base. And they have had some real stinkers out there. Anyone remember the Nokia 2180???? How about the Nokia 5180? These phones were actually leaving customers stranded without service, yet Verizon ignored their existance!
    It is not just this phone. It is anything without GPS or up to date GPS. I have heard complaints from StarTac (best phone ever) owners too.

Alan

Yes, but they have a real reason to get phones brought to market before Christmas 2002 off their network - they truly are not E911 capable. But just about any phone brought to market as an ENTIRELY new model, and not based in any way on a previous model, will be E911 capable. Verizon execs just hate our phone for some reason. Its not like they are in a fued w/Kyocera - they still are bringing new Kyocera's into their lineup. It makes little sense. A few people have posted that they finally broke down a Verizon rep who confided it was NOT E911 related, but the phone itself. So to Verizon, the 7135 has become Frankenstein's monster.

Their newfound cavalier attitude as the Great White Knight of the wireless industry is one of the reasons they lost favor with me.
    Last edited by thaxman; 12-19-2005 at 04:35 PM.

Yes, but they have a real reason to get phones brought to market before Christmas 2002 off their network - they truly are not E911 capable. But just about any phone brought to market as an ENTIRELY new model, and not based in any way on a previous model, will be E911 capable. Verizon execs just hate our phone for some reason. Its not like they are in a fued w/Kyocera - they still are bringing new Kyocera's into their lineup. It makes little sense. A few people have posted that they finally broke down a Verizon rep who confided it was NOT E911 related, but the phone itself. So to Verizon, the 7135 has become Frankenstein's monster.

Their newfound cavalier attitude as the Great White Knight of the wireless industry is one of the reasons they lost favor with me.
    I am more inclined to think that the reps who said it was not e911 related are the ones who was wrong. We all know that you ask a question of two VZW CS reps and you will get three different answers. The 7135 is not the only phone they are refusing to activate. It is just the one that people talk about on this board. If someone wanted to activate a 6035 or Thera, they would get the same answer.

Alan

Well, alanb, I am no longer "in the know" about the inner workings of Verizon. I understand why they refuse to activate real non-compliant phones - FCC fines & all. But the 7135 is the only compliant phone I know of that they refuse to activate. They have some reason that is valid in their heads to hunt them off the network, but I have never heard of them doing this to any other phone (with the exception of real E911 issues)

Semi-Converged
    Thaxman is right. Verizon was refusing to activate 6035's (except on Pay-as-you-go) because they weren't 911 compliant three or four years ago. If you look at the Kyocera paperwork, the 7135 IS compliant.

I wonder if they would activate the 7135 on their pay-as-you go program even now?

Of course, I wouldn't recommend that to anyone because the other carrier's pay as you go plans are much better. Verizon has started charging .99/day whether or not you use your phone that day. I am very glad I got in before that change occured.

Well, alanb, I am no longer "in the know" about the inner workings of Verizon. I understand why they refuse to activate real non-compliant phones - FCC fines & all. But the 7135 is the only compliant phone I know of that they refuse to activate. They have some reason that is valid in their heads to hunt them off the network, but I have never heard of them doing this to any other phone (with the exception of real E911 issues)
    of course I can't find it now, but I was arguing the other side of this discussion on one of the news groups when someone there pointed me to either a Kyo or FCC document that showed that the 7135 is not fully compliant with the current standard. You may recall that prior to the release of the 7135 there were rumours that the delay had to do with problems in the e911 compliance, and I am beginning to think they released it originally knowing that it was not going to meet full compliance. I still wish Kyo would come out with an upgrade. Although I have switched to PPC, I still loved my 7135 more then any other PDA (altough my StarTac was still a better phone).

Alan

And now, to contradict myself, the 7135 is listed as GPS e911 capable on VZW's own site: http://www.vzwshop.com/e911

Looks like those who have been having trouble getting them activated have an argument now.

Alan

I agree about the StarTac. the 7868 tri-mode model I assume. That was the epoch of CDMA precision! I used to be able to convince people I was on a fully-grounded landline when I used that phone. Absolute voice-quality perfection! Man, if only THEY would put together a smartphone with the real quality of the StarTac that wasn't Symbian-based!

I agree about the StarTac. the 7868 tri-mode model I assume. That was the epoch of CDMA precision! I used to be able to convince people I was on a fully-grounded landline when I used that phone. Absolute voice-quality perfection! Man, if only THEY would put together a smartphone with the real quality of the StarTac that wasn't Symbian-based!
    Yeah, 7868W. I started with an earlier tri-mode that was good too. don't recall the model. It got caught in a rain storm in the bottom of a backpack that leaked, so the 7868 was the replacement. Awsome phone. I gave it to my father-in-law when I got my 7135 and he is still using it. If VZW would reactivate it on my account I would buy him something new and ask for it back. My wife has a T720, and what a disappointment. Really soured me to Moto products, although I want to check out the CDMA Razr for her as a replacement.

Alan

Well, Verizon's T720 was junk from the start - Vzw's software made it unstable, so they replaced it w/the T722. I am not too hot on the RAZR. When they came out w/the GSM Razr side-by-side w/the V710 last year, the V710 was unquestionably better, w/the 1.3 Meg camera & removable storage. Personally, I would take the E815 over the Razr anyday. Its based on the V710, so it should have that same great reception, and, of course, removable storage.

Well, Verizon's T720 was junk from the start - Vzw's software made it unstable, so they replaced it w/the T722. I am not too hot on the RAZR. When they came out w/the GSM Razr side-by-side w/the V710 last year, the V710 was unquestionably better, w/the 1.3 Meg camera & removable storage. Personally, I would take the E815 over the Razr anyday. Its based on the V710, so it should have that same great reception, and, of course, removable storage.
    Now that we have dragged this completly off-topic, thanks for the input. I'll look into the E815 for my wife.

Alan

These are the reasons that I've collected for Vzw wanting the 7135 excized from their network:
    1) non e911 compliance
    2) non phase 2 e911 compliance
    3) requires to much technical support
    4) too many problems/returns
    5) causes instablility in the Verizon cell network
    6) dormant mode causes cell network to keep an open connection to a phone
    7) SCRP is an inherient unsolvable bug
    does not support get it now
    9) Trimode supports analog which Verizon must turn off per FCC rules
    and number 10...
    10) They (VZW) had thier fingers up thier butt when they let people sign up for some MOU data access instead of charging them for a data plan

Pick a reason. Some may be valid some are flat out wrong. I think it has to do with the revenue stream they couldn't get (or forget to get) for this phone. non the less, Its the coolest phone they ever had so they must get rid of it!
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

In connection with phony reason number 9, it will be interesting to see what happens to analog support when the clock strikes midnight on Feb 8, 2008 ( that is the date that the FCC will no longer mandate continued support of analog service). Apparently the FCC is not requiring anybody to immediately drop analog support on that date, but it is a good bet that many services like Verizon and Alltel will either drop it immediately or phase it out fairly quickly. Although this is not of interest to anyone who has no analog service of any kind, it is a critical factor for all GM OnStar subscribers with early 2005 and pre-2005 GM models because OnStar tranceivers in all those vehicles are analog-only. OnStar plans to immediately drop the analog service on that date and all those tranceivers turn into useless pumpkins. Too bad they didn't design the equipment to be tri-mode. But then, they would not be able to sell thousands of digital transceivers to replace the analog-only units. No, the replacement digital transceivers are not covered under warranty.