+ Reply to Thread

Kyocera 7135 and USCC

Wow....that's all I can say. Ok, I had(note the word HAD) a Motorola V262. Piece of junk. My 20 oz. hammer took care of it last night...Couldn't do anything with it, Mobile phone tools was crappy software, the phone would shut off when I didn't want it to and drop calls like a hot potato. So I see these 7135's on eBay...fairly cheap, ya, I'm a tightwad. I didn't want to drop $300 on another phone that might be a piece of crap. So I call USCC's tech support to see if it could be activated. Yes, they said it could be. I called a local USCC dealer...a real one who deals in not only phones but radios for the police, fire, and whatnot. They said yes it could be activated, no problem. So I buy the phone. It came in the mail yesterday. I charged it up and took it into a different USCC store than who I had called because we had other errands to run in that town. I go in and explain what I needed done to this lady and this jerk butts in and says, no, we can't activate that. The 7135's are not in our system...then he tried to tell me they aren't E911 compliant....plus they are not BREW compliant which I could care less about. I had already known that. I told him that the E911 B.S. was a load of crap, and that USCC's tech support said that, ya, it would be fine. They didn't know what they were talking about he says. Well, the gave me the run around.....I walked outside and called tech support. The lady(a very nice polite person) tells me to go back in there and put them on my cell to talk to her to explain why they can't(won't) do it....then she calls and gets a hold of one of the salesmen....he grabs me and says it can be done. So while he's programming the phone, the jerk comes up to me apologizing...he had a lady come in a couple weeks ago with a 7135 and it wouldn't work, blah, blah, blah...I ignored him...5 minutes later he comes back apologizing for the hassle and gives me a $50 credit on my account. I thanked him for that, but I was still seething inside.

The moral of the story is don't let these idiots jerk you around. I'm sure they would have been happy to sell me a new phone....

I demanded satisfaction and I got it...plus a credit to my account and no activation fee.

Later
    Phil

Descrerpancies between customer service and the people in the store are common. The unfortunate thing is that it is not always one or the other that is correct about any particular issue. I had a similar problem with Alltel Axcess Apps (formerly BREW) support on my 7135. Customer service said it was supported and should work. Only one person at the store claimed to know, and said Axcess Apps was not supported on the 7135. To make a long story short, customer service was wrong and the store person was correct. Using Internet browsers made the need for Axcess Apps on the 7135 unnecessary. As an example of the opposite case, when I asked for the capability to see RADAR weather images on my T720, neither the store people nor customer service had any idea what I was talking about. I had to figure this out on my own by looking at the Alltel website. After I figured out that I needed an Axcess App to see weather RADAR, I downloaded it over the air and never needed customer service or the store. Later on when I went by the Alltel store for some other reason, I explained to the sales person how to get Axcess apps and they were amazed. In spite of the fact that there were advertising placards all over the store touting Axcess Apps, no one at the store had a clue. Bottom line is that for the most part we are left to our own devices (and this forum) to get much of anything done in connection with our 7135s. Both customer service and the store personnel are oriented towards the standard cell phones and are little or no help for anything else.

Man, tedcmiller, those in-store reps over in your area really need to get involved with what they sell. I was one of them for almost 2 years until I finally got my B.S. & could move on. They get alot of stuff free to demo so they are experienced and can discuss & accurately represent it in order to sell it to people who should want or need it. The fact that your whole store was in the dark over BREW is downright SCARY!!!

I wasn't just the store personnel. I went into the Alltel store, pointed to the placard advertising a RADAR image on a cell phone and said "How do I get that?" The store person started up the OpenWave browser on her phone and showed me a text-only weather forcast. I reinterated that I wanted to see a RADAR image. She had no idea how to do it. After talking with several other store personnel, she called customer service and they also could not tell her how to get a weather RADAR image on the cell phone. They apologized for not being able to help and I left. I suppose there might have been somebody at that store who knew something about Axcess Apps, but they apparently were not working that day. You know the rest of the story. The situation then and now is what the warning "Caveat Emptor" is all about.

OK, here is the REALLY stupid part, cuz I remember that large ad w/the blueish satellite view on the screen of the T720. The ad was specifically for Axcess Apps!! So asking how to get that and pointing to the poster means....well, let's READ the poster to figure out how to get it!!! Of course, they also were supposed to have pre-launch training, as well. Guess they all missed that!