+ Reply to Thread
    going thru 7135 withdrawals... prymtym99's Avatar
    home of the 2004 stanley cup champion tampa bay lightning!!

question for the experts...

okay. newbie here...

i'm considering jumping into the smartphone arena and getting an inexpensive used 7135 from ebay to start with. in talking with a couple of alltel reps about the phone, they all tell me that i will not be able to use email/internet on the phone because it is "not supported by their network" anymore. i tried searching through some of the threads, but i couldn't find anything that was recently posted about this. is this really true or are they just blowing smoke up my butt?

any and all help is much appreciated! thanks guys...
    yes... i'm a newbie...

The good news about the phone is that it has never needed carrier support in order to use the internet, thanks to its included browser & many other browser options to purchase. The phone just needs to be able to make a data connection, the same way it would if connected to a laptop or the way another phone would to use carrier-provided browsing, like Alltel's MobileWeb, then its own browser takes over. Last time I checked, I could browse just fine.
    I have submitted alot of info on the proper settings & the difference between connections elsewhere in this forum, as well.
    P.S. - non-7135 users tend to have a very low image of the phone, believing it to be a bag-o-worms & are probably steering you toward a 650, assuming it would be a better choice (not to mention tie you into a contract)

prymtym99

I just noticed your location. Great city, btw! Spent a week with friends in Orlando June '04, but made the trip to the Gulf as often as possible! I didn't have my 7135 yet, but the 1X data service works well there...just not very far into the east 'burbs. The 7135 won't support Broadband, though.

thaxman,

thanks for the quick response. yes, the tampa bay area is great. and tomorrow's high is supposed to be 78. perfect golf weather!

as for my 7135 question, so basically all i would need is to subscribe to alltel's access package and use that data connection to access email and the internet? and with that, i would be able to pull up sites like hotmail or espn just like any computer, albeit slowly?

thanks for the help!
    Last edited by prymtym99; 12-31-2005 at 11:54 AM.
    yes... i'm a newbie...

You don't need Alltel's Axcess package. Just start the web browser program (I recommend WebPro, but the included EIS browser works).

Originally posted by tedcmiller
    You don't need Alltel's Axcess package. Just start the web browser program (I recommend WebPro, but the included EIS browser works).
    really? sweet!

thanks for the help guys. now that i'm joining the 7135 club, i'll be sure to stick around for more info/help from the experts and of course, throw in my 2.5 cents as well...
    yes... i'm a newbie...

Converged
    Not sure about hotmail. The 7135 has real limited screen size. Sites full of graphics and links like msn.com are virtually unusable just because of the screen. Also browsers on the 7135 have limited add on support (don't think Java works) so some forms don't work.

Espn and a number of other sites have mini-sites optimized for the small screen. See
    http://www.feuerstein.org/palm.html for links. Access it from your 7135 and bookmark it or the links you like.

-Stew

Converged
    Hey just looked at my website. There is a palm optimized hotmail link. I don't have an account to see if it works, but it's there! Good luck.

-Stew

Hm... I don't think that the EIS browser is working anymore; didn't they shut it down? Use WebProV (should be able to do a google to find it). Works great and is free. The next version of WebPro isn't free if you didn't get it with the initial closing down of built in Blazer.
    Here, have a clue. No, take two, they're small.....

EIS (and the updated version called iPanel, sold separately) are operating.

You're thinking of Palm(one) and their Blazer browsers. They cut the legs out from underneath older browser users by shutting down the proxy servers that translated complex web pages into something the reduced handheld code could handle. Faster (as long as the server was not overloaded) than a full rendering code on the handheld (hence the name "Blazer"?).

Palm did a similar thing to web clippings by killing the Palm.Net service a couple of years ago. I am so tired of having tools killed off when the profits move on. I understand the business issues, but I am now always checking tools won't suffer from a death from outside.

I love Xiino (based on Palmscape) and its great user interface. Unfortuanately, it is also based on a proxy translator, and could disappear overnight. It HASN'T, but that is always a possibility with these types of web browsing solutions.

Another thing about proxy based translating browsers is they CAN NOT provide access to local html files (like on SD cards - think manual, readme files, and other reference materials). While theorectically one could write a browser to go online and upload the file to the proxy, none has been written that way. And it would require an active data link to accomplish it, obviously.

EIS and iPanel are a little slower, but they are immune to funding/maintenance issues that plague proxy server based browsers. Kyocera was very progressive in using EIS - some may say a little too progressive, but it generally works. And iPanel has been working very nicely for me. I just really wish it would it would support links and local files! It could, and should, but it doesn't...

Cheap me, I use EIS exclusively. But it helped me @ Best Buy yesterday, as I was able to pull up Circuit City's website to use for price comparison. Java loads painfully slow, but its there if the setting is checked. I get images to load fine, & have even used Google Images via EIS!

Hotmail works fine from that link, but you have to go through a few clicks. I was using WebProV