+ Reply to Thread

Kyo 7135 on cricket

Alright, I'm sure this has been asked regarding a different carrier, and are probably redundant questions. I got a 7135 on ebay, activated it on cricKet, spent three days reviewing threads, downloading stuff, making mp3 ringers etc, basically getting set up.

Question one:
    Is there a way to get the Internet to work on my phone with the cricket network? When I go through the motions it times out when trying to sign in. Does Cricket not support this?

Question(s) two:
    Which Launcher? Why? Where can I get it?

Keep in mind that although I am a college grad, the abbreviations are often unfamiliar.
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Transform and roll out...

The thing about Cricket is that it really is not quite a cellular company, not quite a (mobile)landline telco-company. It straddles the 2 businesses & has some identity issues because of it.
    Because of the unlimited calls, it operates more like a landline company. Thing is, airtime is VERY expensive compared to wired time. Wires don't cost anything once they are in place. Airtime uses energy which needs to be replenished, uses manpower to maintain/modify the network, etc. And there are other costs too. So the reality is that even though they offer unlimited calls, they really don't want the average usage to exceed the cost model.

OK, enuf about the inner ops of Cricket. Basically, they are a voice-only company. They have had to add other features to keep up with the cellular competition. Things like text messages are dirt cheap though. Text is extremely low priority and uses only unused bandwidth (leftover airwaves). The ringtones and screensaver pictures they sell through the phone each ARE accessed with a data connection, so they have enabled the possibility of a data service, but remember, the end result of their service is to buy a $3 ringtone that they license for $.05. And there is little abuse of the airwaves each data call takes up because it only goes to their "store." So they make a profit on each data call that results in a purchase.

Long & short, I think there is a very low chance that they offer data service for browsing since it would blow their business model, since someone could spend hours browsing, but not buying anything from them.

Oh, rats. I was hoping it was capable, but I expected as much. Thanks for taking the time to respond!
    Transform and roll out...