+ Reply to Thread

random power off, then routine maintenance?

Hi guys,

My 7135 started acting up last week. it started powering off for no reason and when I power it back on, it goes to the "routine maintenance in progress" screen and resets to factory defaults. I do have backupbuddyvfs, so I've been able to restore, but this seems to happen twice a day and it's getting to be a hassle to do a backup after entering a few items or having to do a restore twice a day. It doesn't appear to be a battery problem (after doing a restore last night at 10:30 pm and not charging it since then still shows 3/4 battery power and hasn't shut down.) It also doesn't appear to be linked to any certain program that I can tell. It does seem to happen when the flip is closed and it might have happened the first time when I was opening the flip (but can't be sure, that was almost a week ago already.) Anyone have anything similar happen to them and what were the results? do I have a weak contact internally or something? can it be repaired, or is it time to move on? does this sound like something that I can get replaced by insurance or are they going to tell me it just wore out and I'm sol? Any feedback would be greatly appriciated.

Best regards,
    JohnA

I am having the same symptom. I thought it was intermittant battery connections, but bending the pins out for better contact didn't help.
    Mine started after a 3 ft drop to a carpeted floor, but not immediately. Happening for about two weeks. Not as painful as swaping to a650, however....

Quick question? do you notice if it happens when you are on the phone side or the PDA side, or either? It could be a problem on one of the boards, & if its the phone board, you can probably prepare the funeral.

to be honest, I'm not sure. I can't remember specifically, but I want to say I think it's happened both in phone mode and in pda mode. I can say that the flip has normally been closed. Typically I'll look down to check the time on the external display and it'll be blank or say "powering on". Sometimes it powers back on by itself, other times I have to hold down the red power button to bring it back to life. If it is a problem with a phone board, any idea if insurance would normally cover something like that?

JohnA

Insurance should cover the whole phone. Who is your provider? That's probably your best bet.

Verizon, they already denied replacing saying it was out of warrantee (I've had it for almost 2 years) so I guess my next step is to call Lockline if the problem keeps happening Thanks for the feedback

JohnA

Lockline will either give you a refurb 7135 or possible a refurb 600/650. I imagine they don't have a whole lot of 7135s sitting in storage waiting for the few insured 7135 owners to call them up.

John -

How often does it happen - can you use the device for awhile at a desk and get a reset? If so, try connecting the adapter directly to the phone, and use it for awhile. If you don't experience any resets, that increases the likelyhood your having battery contact issues. Then you can look at getting another battery...

Of course, if it still resets while on the charger, look up the thread on this forum about a guy that repairs 7135's. He might be able to help you for a modest repair charge.

Good luck. Hope it's the battery.

I haven't had a reset yet today, and it went about 16 hours after the last reset before I needed to charge the battery, so I'm kind of ruling out a bad battery at this point.

And it appears that I can rule out a replacement from lockline too. Just got off the phone and they said my $4.99/mo only covers lost or stolen. Supposedly I needed to pay the extra buck (or $5.99/mo) to get mechanical electrical covered. So anyone who reads this - beware of the insurance. I don't remember Verizon even saying anything about this extra cost when I got my phone.

Odds are I'm off to T-650 land, I can't have my phone randomly shutting off at inoppertune times and I don't want to give it up for a repair that may or may nit fix the problem.

Thanks for all you guys and gals input over the past 2 years. I got this phone after careful reasearch on this board (came from a 6035, and back when this was smartphonesource) I've been watching the 650 boards the past few months, hopefully they are just as helpful over there too.

JohnA

John -

It might still be a bad battery - just not the battery's CHARGE, but the contacts not making reliable connection to the phone. Different positions or movements can make and break the connections, and depending on how long it takes to re-establish the connection, the phone may have reset itself. Do you get occasional soft resets? Or just memory wiping hard resets? Operating the phone from a power cord eliminates the possibility of losing power due to a poorly connected battery, so if it reset with AC power ,you have a bigger problem. Note that batteries can be easily replaced, though not all batteries are created equal - many non-OEM batteries are more likely to suffer from poor connections due to slight differences in mechanical tolerances.

Also, note that the posts that I have seen on here about the guy that repairs 7135's indicate he is quite quick in his work. You might want to contact him before you jump ship ....

unless you WANT to jump ship, than that's a different matter.

I too came to smartphonesource with a pair of 6035's.
    For myself and "upgrading" to a pair of Treo 650's, I just don't like VZW's data plans for shared plans (or rather the lack thereof), nor the need to buy a whole slew of add on software to make the 650 as feature capable as the 7135's I have now. Even some of the improvements, say BlueTooth support, are often only half baked - like you can't do voice dialing over BlueTooth, and connectivity is limited at the demand of the carriers.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Let us know if you get it repaired by posting afterwards, and how it went.
    Last edited by ReadOnly; 01-24-2006 at 04:51 PM.

I never had a problem with my 7135 as far as shutting off. This happened after I sent it to get the latest software and fixing the antena. I get a message phone Off Charging completed. This happens often. I had to power it on frequently. Maybe when it was being fixed, the battery contacts got bent? Any ideas? I have a spare but the problem is if I replace my esn. They will automatically change the data plan. Any solutions please?

Samy -

As for what might be the problem, have you tried a different battery?
    Or how about directly plugging the charger cord into the bottom of the phone instead of using the cradle?
    IF the phone is resetting for some reason (bad cradle?), and the phone's settings done automatically turn the phone on after a reset, then that would explain what you're seeing. IF you are getting unexplained resets, you might want to consider getting a copy of Crash, by www.79bmedia.com. It logs resets and attempts to document their causes - pretty valuable program on many 7135's - it is on my personal list of "Have-To-Have" apps.

Now whether or not they try change your data plan seems to be more a function of the person you have on the other end of the phone (a novice CSR, or a greedy commissioned one), how you present the problem, and how you react to their suggestions.

If you had to replace the phone on insurance, you'd have every expectation that the phone would be swapped out without issue. Just in this case, you are providing the phone instead of the insurance company. Just tell them that your phone broke and you were sent this replacement unit of the same model, and you need to activate it.

Of course, there might be an issue with the phone itself - like the ESN was not part of your carrier's allocated set of ESN's (phone loaded with software for Alltel vs Verizon), or it was Ebay'd after being reported as stolen or broken and insurance replaced it. But then these would prevent you from activating any model of phone on any account.

After checking prices of batteries on ebay, I'm going to try a new battery 1st and then go from there. My current one is almost 2 years old and is the original one. I'll also try bending out the contacts a little. It did die 2 more times since my last post, always with the flip closed, and after the last time when powered back on the battery low warning was there. I think it could be as you suggest, a loose connection somewhere when the flip is closed, maybe in connection with a dieing battery. Hopefully I can find a solution, I don't really want to go to the 650 just yet.

JohnA

JohnA,
    I vote for a bad (or old battery). Also, bad contacts due to oxidizing, etc. can look to the circuitry like a bad battery. Although the phone and battery contacts are gold plated, even gold oxidizes some (just a lot more slowly). The process of removing and installing (or reinstalling) a battery will "wipe" the contacts and in some cases cure a lot of problems. I once had a problem where the phone indicated that it could not charge the battery when the charger was connected. I had not touched the battery in a long time, and, so after removing the battery and reinstalling it, I have never seen the problem again. Keep in mind that removing the batttery, no matter how briefly, will result in a soft reset. It is my understanding that the unit uses a large capacitor to maintain the phone for a reasonable amount of time while the battery is removed. If you exceed this time (about 45 seconds I think), the unit will do a hard reset when the battery is reinstalled.

One thing to add to Ted's post -
    I've read a couple of reports now that the backup power source - not sure if it is a cap, a supercap, or some form of battery - does not get refreshed unless the phone stays on the charger AFTER the main battery gets fully charged.
    I've seen the recommendation that the phone be left on the charger for 3 or more hours to be sure this second power source if fully charged and able to do its job.

does anyone know how the phone board is connected or works? Yesterday I turned off the phone part and the battery is lasting very long and I haven;t had any hard resets. Should simply turning off the phone side take the phone board out of the circuit, so to speak?

JohnA

Hey, JohnA, as far as insurance goes, that 7135 of yours can end up right under the tire of your car before heading out to work at any time....

Quote Originally Posted by thaxman
    Hey, JohnA, as far as insurance goes, that 7135 of yours can end up right under the tire of your car before heading out to work at any time....
    and don't forget to say "Oops!"

mg

JohnA or was is Samy (I've lost track now)
    You might want to pop your phone open and reseat the phone board. its a simple operation and a bad connection between the phone and pda boards could be the source the phone power off behaviour... There's some posts somewhere where that has helped.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

its amazing how much corrosion i've seen in some of these phones. (course its no wonder with the stuff that people have in their clothes. (the dial boards get especially dirty w/ hard or rough use. be careful disassembling them, but most of the time you can visually see where the problems are and why the device is acting up. the connectors (all of them!) internally and externally are tiny and fragile and when they go, not much can be done about it but replacing the offending component. But a good clean reassembly can often take care of what might have been thought gone bad! ANY liquid entry wrecks havoc.
    It sucks that the battery contact holders were alittle under-engineered. But all in all I still can't find a suitable replacement. Let us know how you make out!

(oh yeah... as little as it happens... one of the few blessings of a hard reset for me is to start fresh and do a good overhaul, starting w/ a good emptying of lint from the headphone jack, and checking the sd slot for belly-button fuzz, screen and digitizers clean and reseat, cleaning mic and speaker contacts, and all the rubber covers are happier when they're clean and mating with polished parts...Then its on to.. what else can I jackslap out of rom or jack in before restoration (I use backup buddy)
    Last edited by aka.bugle; 01-27-2006 at 02:07 PM.

Update:

It does appear to be a loose connection with the battery, I think somewhere internally. A few weeks ago I switched my line to my wifes phone so I could do some testing on the 7135. I also did bend up the battery contacts a little and didn't have any problems. I also ordered a battery from e-bay. I tried it out in the phone today and had problems with it. It was making a connection as I was installing it, but once it was fully in the 7135 there was no power. I noticed that there is a small amount of flex to the phone case (almost 2 years of heavy use and several hard drops to pavement have taken their toll.) I added a few layers of scotch tape to the top of the battery for a snugger fit and it powered up properly with the battery fully inside the 7135. I have had a few soft resets, but haven't lost data (not having to restore from backup buddy, so must be regaining power contact quickly enough to keep the internal battery charged.) I think I'll add one more layer of tape to the battery and then do the same to my old battery and see how it goes, but seem to be back in business for the time being! whohooo! if anything new develops I'll let you all know.

JohnA