+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slow?

Slow?

Just installed desktop software and I am switching from using a Palm Zire 72 to the 7135. My hotsync with the zire was fast. Is the hotsync with the 7135 always this slow. I have Zlauncher and agendus nothing else fancy. Is there a difference between the serial speed and the USB speed?

Thanks

Answering the second question first, yes, serial is much slower than USB. In any case, there is no need to install the 7135 Desktop if you already have the desktop for the Zire 72 installed. You can HotSync the 7135 using the Zire 72 Desktop - just give the 7135 a different name than the Zire 72. I have a Zire 31 and I use the desktop that came with it to HotSync both the Zire 31 and the 7135. The later version of the desktop for Palm OS5 supports features that the 7135 does not have (like an expense account and birthday markers for the address book), but those things are just ignored for the 7135. In my case, HotSync speed through USB ports is essentially the same for both. If you are already using the Zire desktop for both, but have the the 7135 connected to a serial port, move it to a USB port.

Also, don't forget, loading a blank 7135 will take some time. When I got my replacement 7135 in Sept, restoring all my stuff to the new phone took 20+ mins. WOW! But if I only sync a couple of memos or appts, then it can take 30 sec. Using the USB only, of course.

Thaxman -

Hmm, that sounds like another good reason to get an SD card based backup utility. I use BackupBuddy VFS Pro, and it has been great - fast and accurate, and a restore image is always with me.

I only issue I've had is with its automatic backup features - they seem to hang my phone when I try to get them to turn the phone on and do a backup if one hasn't been done lately. Works flawlessly for manual backups.

One last point - just be sure to occasionally backup the SD card via a card reader to a hard disk, CD or DVD. Even SD cards can get messed up on occasion.

I hear you on the SD card weakness. I have already experienced card failure. At least it happened just before Best Buy marked down their SanDisk cards & offered rebates on top!