+ Reply to Thread

Text Messages and Voice Mail Alerts mysteriously stopped

Last night at some point I realized I hadn't received any text messages that I had been expecting. When I called in to check my voice mail, I noticed I had new mail but the message indicator hadn't alerted me. I tried sending myself text messages from both my handset and my other line, but to no avail. After a couple of hard resets the problem still remained. Here's the strange part: If I sent myself a message with "Urgent" delivery (it's a pref both in the Message Options and the online Vtext Verizon website), it would come through no problem! Completely normal delivery. It's almost as if the message starts to receive and then just cuts off during the process. The service light on the phone illuminates as if it were receiving and the screen tells me its receiving, but it will not list in the messaging application. Verizon Data was obviously no help, as they don't even get into support issues and just want to issue a replacement. I feel like if there was a way I could just reinstall the Messaging 3.0 Application, I would find out if there was some corruption in the app, or if its a service issue. I even tried reloading the software ROMs back onto the phone to see if that might help. Any ideas?

I don't want to give up my 7135!!!

I am not entirely convinced this is a phone issue. It sounds like it may possibly be a network issue. Thing about VM notification/text messages is that the network considers them to be the absolute lowest priority on the list of things to send. This is partly because they are so small. In theory they should be so small that they can just slip into the data stream and get where they are going without disrupting the voice & data calls (like a Miata on an interstate full of semi trucks) which is why they get lowest priority. Pack the network w/the biggest stuff 1st, then stuff the small things in where they fit.
    Problem is, sometimes the network forgets about the little stuff - usually just 1 person's little stuff. Then it will remember & send it all at once right before it is set to expire (72 hours)
    Big questions are how long has it been going on? always in the same place or w/i a mile or so (same tower)? During peak usage (5pm when EVERYONE is calling home asking what to pick up for dinner)? If these apply at all, I'd shoot for network-related not phone-related.

Well, after calling back a 4th time I finally got a Verizon rep who had an inkling
    of what they were doing. She simply "reset" the text messaging feature on the phone and voila!, I was back online. It just really goes to show how hellbent Verizon is on removing the 7135 from circulation. They will barely lift a finger to support them. Still going strong with 7135! Thanks.

Converged
    I also had the same problem. I noticed I wasn't getting any text messages. Normally I only get a few per month. So I called Verizon. They claimed that someone had put a block on text messages to my phone. Obviously no one did. They removed the block and it is working again. I wonder if they really are targeting 7135 users?