+ Reply to Thread

Replacement Options

My 7135 is officially dead, and I called data services to find out what my options were for replacing it. I had read somewhere that they give the option of either getting a treo or a xv6700. Well, when I called they told me that the only one they offer is the treo because it's the only palm based phone they offer right now. I don't want a treo, because with that phone I'd be forced to get a data plan, whereas the 6700 has wifi. He said I couldn't even get a discount of the 6700 if I wanted it instead. So, what should I do? If I wait, and just use my work phone for a couple months, do you think they will change their policy? Or did I just get a jerk representative?

OK, I called back, and the rep I spoke with told me that I could get the 650, and when I get it, not open it and take it to the local Verizon store and swap it for what I want and pay the difference in price (to get the vx6700 would be an extra $50 in retail cost). Has anybody done this, or was he just trying to get me off the phone?

jy2
    Hi jfrank, that actually sounds like a great idea. Rather wish I thought/heard of that. I'd call your local store and ask their take on it. The Treo 650's 32MB seems really measly compared to the 128MB on the 6700. Built-in Wifi sounds great.

Like you, I first thought, "at least it's free" too. But, if I knew about the costs of the replacement phone ($50 sales tax, $30 for TealScript, $17 for Switch Sync Ex, the need for a case/pouch and other upgrades) I would have thought twice about switching to the Treo.