+ Reply to Thread

New life for the 7135 with Alltel

Hello all-

Just wanted to tell you my story from today.

I have had a 7135 on a prepaid account with Alltel for about a year, and I noticed that my phone has been acting "strange" for the past few weeks. I looked on line and everything to do with pre-paid looked very different. I knew that I would be near a store today, so I decided to wait and stop in while I was in the area.

The 7135 was back on the shelf and had a price with contract (Around $100) and a price for prepaid ($240, yeah right). I took my phone to the tech guy and explained my situation, that everytime I try to make a call, not in the Alltel area, there's a message that says, "please enter 1, the ten digit number you are calling and the pound sign". The guy asks if I've backed everything up, which I had, and asked if he could do a hard reset. I said go ahead.

He does the hard reset and plugs the phone into his computer to download the latest PRL, I believe it's 1205. In the meantime he brings up my prepaid account and says he has great news for me, great news (I think to myself), I rarely hear those words in a cell provider store. He then shows me the new coverage map and my eyes nearly bug out. I had my old map for comparison and the new coverage area is roughly 10 times better. I ask with amazment, what happened, he says, "We now let all prepaid customers use Verizon towers like there home coverage area." HOLY CRAP! Being pesimistic about my good luck, I say "how much more will it cost?" He smiles (I thinking he is about ready to screw me) and says, "you will go from $0.25 to $0.15 per minute." HOLY CRAP AGAIN! Then he smiles again (now I'm scared that he is going to give me the really bad news) and says, "and your voicemail that used to be $2/month is now free." NOW I'M JUST FREAKED OUT! Lastly he says, "the only catch is you still have to make at least 1 call per month or you get charged $4 (which is the way it was before)."

Ecstatic by my good fortune I want to run for the door before he comes to his senses. Before he allows me to run away, he takes my phone off the computer and says, "I see that your primary SID is not in this area, that's why your phone always says Digital Roaming." I explain that I actually use this phone mostly in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so I made that it's home. He says, "well I just program our location as the secondary SID and you won't see digital roaming anymore." Which he did, and it now works perfect.

Now I'm trying to get out of the store for fear of being struck by lighting or hit by a weapon of mass destruction. He says, "one last thing, that message you get whenever your using someone elses tower, just do what it says. I know it's an extra step, but now you can use your phone almost anywhere you travel." WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE! I finally couldn't take it anymore and I just said "bull****", he said, "try it! When you head south 10 miles you will loose Alltel service and be on Verizon, call me to let me know that it's working." Sure enough 10.5 miles south of the store I see the dreaded digital roaming indicator start flashing again, so I call him, the phone tells me to put in 1 plus the ten digit number and pound. I do. It calls him! I have NEVER, EVER been able to make a call anywhere south of Fon Du Lac, WI before and now I called people for the next 45 miles until I got home.

I get home and go straight to the computer to check my account status online and sure enough every call was only $0.15 per minute! I think to myself that some sort of cell phone demi-god has blessed me and that I should put the phone down before I mess it up. Then I think wait... let's push my luck one more time. I've never been able to use the internet on this thing, because I've always lived outside of the Alltel service area. I go into EudoraWeb and change the setting to QNC from 1X High Speed Data and try to log in. IT WORKS, angels start singing and all the bells in the world start chiming all at once (at least in my mind). I also try running EIS Web and it takes right off too. Lastly I check my Alltel account on the internet to make sure that everything is correct and my account is being charged minutes, but instead there is a transaction called card access call and I'm being charged $0.00 everytime I go on the web.

I don't know what this means, but I'm on the web and not even being charged minutes off my account. If anyone knows if this is a good or bad thing, please let me know.

My take away.... Right now, you can use a 7135 on Alltel, which works almost anywhere in the country that Alltel or Verizon have towers. It will cost you $0.15/minute with free voicemail. As long as you make AT LEAST one call per month, there is no charge for the service. Let me do some math here, let's see 12 times $0.15.... carry the one... take the square root.... divide by the year the last time a cell provider did something good for us........ and you come up with the fact that you can have a fully functioning, useful cellular phone that works in the majority of the United States for a bare minimum of $1.80/year (that's 12 months x 1 call at $0.15). Oh yeah, and the internet is free with that also. I think I might just pick up another "experienced" 7135 for my mom, dad, brothers and wife off ebay, just gotta remind them to make 1 call per month and they can have an emergency phone in their glove box all the time for $0.15/month.

Well I just bought a lottery ticket for tomorrows drawing, I'm sure with my day so far that I will win. If I do, I'll still stick around on pdaphonehome.com, I'll just have a bunch more 7135's activated!

Any thoughts???

-Whorley
    Last edited by Whorley; 02-07-2006 at 11:33 PM.

Semi-Converged
    Wow Whorley!!

I have been trying to warn people off of Verizon's pay-as-you-go for a while, ever since they started charging $.99/day no matter what. I like my Verizon (old plan, $.10/min +$.25 origination fee and no internet), but it sounds like you have a great deal!

I might be missing something, but it is not obvious what any of the above has to do with the 7135. Everything described above would seem to apply to any phone on an Alltel prepaid account.

Quote Originally Posted by tedcmiller
    I might be missing something, but it is not obvious what any of the above has to do with the 7135. Everything described above would seem to apply to any phone on an Alltel prepaid account.
    Correct. You could use any Alltel phone, except for maybe the internet as most alltel phones only use wap browsers. The part I was excited about was seeing the 7135 back on the shelf. After looking at the Alltel website and calling sales they all say the 7135 is no longer available. It also shows that the 7135 has been discontinued on all providers on phonescoop.com. Then I walk in the store and there it is right next to the treo, which is supposed to be its replacment.

From what I understand, the Corporate Alltel Wireless has made the decision to not purchase any more new phones, but if a region has stock still on hand, the stores can sell them until stock is gone. If you get one brand new, make sure you get double copies of purchase receipts & contracts for that 1 year warranty, as paper proof will most likely be the only thing allowing for free repair that initial 365 days, as its been considered "no longer available"

As far as U prepaid goes, it looks really cool. Alltel has made a big name out of prepaid in AZ, selling to people who lack the credentials to get a contract. You can read that as "not US citizens, no visa" because of its cheap long distace rate to Mex. Now they upped the ante. Look out Cingular - Go Phone isn't the only decent prepaid anymore.

Great storey Whorley!
    mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

wESTERN wIRELESS

Alltel recently completed the acquisition of Western Wireless, which does business mostly under the Cellular One name. Anyhow, that accounts for the addition to the coverage of the whole western and southwestern united states. WW was a very large CDMA carrier. Alltell now brags that it has the largest coverage map. I don't use the prepaid service, so i can not comment on the Verizon agreements, but i am delighted that a major carrier is still allowing 7135 activations.

I am still running the WW prl but using an alltel branded 7135, so i am hoping when the merger of the systems is complete that i will have real alltel service.

By the way, the 7135 is the last of the smartphones that will actually work in the desert regions of the southwest (off the interstates) because it still has an analog RF

Out here in a day, i can be in 4 states, and a Treo is most useful on the pavement being shot around by my hockey stick!

4 states, eh, danb, you must be that 1 person who lives in Pahrump

lol

in 3 hours i can visit Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Colorado.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that Midwest meets Mountain States crossed with Southwest corner of the nation. Being between Dallas, Phoenix & Denver, you guys just don't draw alot of attention. That's probably a good thing, though.

I just wish that Kyocera had mad the external antenna connector available on the outside of the phone, like it was on the 6035. I really enjoyed my 3 watt analog booster that basically turned my handheld into a 3 watt bag phone. That is MOST appreciated in the middle of New Mexico and West Texas.

Pretty advanced for a red-neck huh?

But then I am a transplant from Ann Arbor, MI.