+ Reply to Thread

Temporary backlight failure

Here is an interesting problem I had never experienced before and, to the best of my knowledge, have not seen described in this forum.

In the middle of a call the backlight for the display went out and the audible connection was dropped. The network connection remained up until I manually dropped it with the red hang-up key. Neither opening and closing the clam-shell nor repeatedly pressing the light key had any effect on the backlight. Everything else worked OK. I could not get the backlight to come back on until I did a soft reset. Even then, it did not come back on until the reset was complete. Shortly after displaying the the manual time set screen, the backlight came back on. There have been no problems since then.

I apparently spoke a little too soon about "no problems since then." The first time I tried to use AcidImage to display a photo, everything would be OK until I specified a picture to view and then the 7135 would display a screen saying "Fatal exception." A soft reset was required to proceed. I tried several work arounds, but ultimately had to delete and then reinstalled the AcidImage .prc to solve the problem.

At the time the original failure occurred (no backlight), I was outside, in the cold, fooling with the leashes on two large furry dogs. I think a static discharge may have created the backlight problem and corrupted the AI program.

Oh, what luck. Sorry to hear that. On a side note, I am so glad we have this resource of user feedback. The other day, I went to get an x-ray & walked right into the scanning room wearing my phone. Then I remembered all the complaints about airport x-rays & quickly put it with my other belongings. Now I know to avoid static too.

I have heard that others could get AcidImage to run on their 7135's.
    I NEVER could.
    I get crashs regularly, even if I wasn't running AcidImage, until I remove it.
    I have tried this on two 7135's, on more than one occasion, before I gave up on it.
    YMMV.

Just curious? And I don't mean to be off topic, but what version of AcidImage are you running. I'm finding more and more recent version of software are being optimized for OS5 and don't run well on our specialized OS4.1. Anyway I've never had any problem with Acid Image and I'm running Version 2.5. I'll post a copy when I get a chance.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

The version number on my AcidImage app is 3.023. I have had this app since April of last year.
    Last edited by tedcmiller; 02-09-2006 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tedcmiller
    The version number on my AcidImage app is 3.023. I have had this app since April of last year.
    Try this version... I've never had any problems with it.
    Mark
    Attached Files
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Thanks. I will download your file, but I probably won't load it unless I have another problem with the version I have. I had no problems with AcidImage before and have had none since I reloaded it. I still think that the problem with the backlight and AcidImage were both caused by a static discharge, and that there was actually no problem with any of the applications. I could be wrong, and time will tell. If I have any additional problems I will update this post.

I don't recall the version (and I am not about to install it to check!).
    The info for the version I had tried is:

AcidImage.prc 438,309 bytes, 7-06-2005, 00:04:00

I have a couple of other means of viewing pictures now:

Resco Explorer (a GREAT tool for file managing, especially on larger SD cards)
    UniCmd v1.813 - decent file manager, it's freeware, and it can view html text!