+ Reply to Thread

REPAIR IT! Don't Replace it!

I just got my 7135 back from the eBay guy, who repaired it and returned it for $24, including one-way shipping.

I could not be happier. It is a terrific deal, and as long as he's around, nobody needs to accept that offer to exchange it for a 650 or (shudder) a 600 as some of us lately have been forced to accept.

VZW made absolutely NO PROBLEM with initializing my phone with a new ESN, most probably because I already have one and their records reflect that. So we can, I think, count on a long life for our favorite phone.

Just get it done by Harold and get it back and keep on keeping on.

IMHO.
    Last edited by DCookinLB; 02-12-2006 at 12:51 PM.
    Don Cook
    Formerly Coming to You on my Much Missed 7135 by the Sea Now on a Shiny 700P

Don, glad to hear you got all those ailments out of the way finally. Now you can really get into your phone!

Thaxman,

Dear God. I can't believe it. Got it back Fri. Sunday I was walking on the beach w/ some friends and when I bent over, it ejected from the holster INTO SALT WATER! Teach me to predict success, as I did in another thread.

Back to Harold.
    Don Cook

Don, may I interest you in my latest marketing project: the Smartphone condom!? Actually, its just a Ziploc freezer baggie...ha ha!

Oh, so easy to mock a man when he's down!

Looks like I'm going to get a chance to take my own advice!
    Last edited by DCookinLB; 02-14-2006 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Funnier
    Don Cook

Quote Originally Posted by DCookinLB
    I just got my 7135 back from the eBay guy, who repaired it and returned it for $24, including one-way shipping.

I could not be happier. It is a terrific deal, and as long as he's around, nobody needs to accept that offer to exchange it for a 650 or (shudder) a 600 as some of us lately have been forced to accept.

VZW made absolutely NO PROBLEM with initializing my phone with a new ESN, most probably because I already have one and their records reflect that. So we can, I think, count on a long life for our favorite phone.

Just get it done by Harold and get it back and keep on keeping on.

IMHO.
    Why did the repair give your phone a new ESN?

Vincent

Probably because he swapped in a new phone board. The ESN is tied to the phone board, so new phone board means new ESN.

DCookinLB was having problems with all charging ports and the hotsync port, and the port interface is soldered to the telephone board (oh, how it would have been better to be on the PDA board!) so in order to solve his problems he needed a replacement phone board. The CDMA phone board is assigned the esn at creation, so the board and the esn go together forever.

Kruskal,

Yeah, like Dr Dolittle & Thaxman said.
    Don Cook

Quote Originally Posted by DCookinLB
    Thaxman,

Dear God. I can't believe it. Got it back Fri. Sunday I was walking on the beach w/ some friends and when I bent over, it ejected from the holster INTO SALT WATER! Teach me to predict success, as I did in another thread.

Back to Harold.
    Buried in the annals of the forum threads is a "how I drop tested my phone" or something like that... I never heard of that one... way to go DB.. I'm so paranoid about my phone I usually stick in a zip lock if I have to take it to the beach... I can only imagine the affect that sand and salt would have on it let alone dropping it in the water.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Old, wired adrenaline junkie

Swimming Phones

I can one up that one! Mine took a swim in the Deschutes River in Oregon. I am a whitewater guide and always take my phone on miultiday trips as an emergency communication device. I always sleep in the gear boat and as I was getting ready, I got out my trusty 7135 "alarm clock" and dropped it in about 2 feet of water. It was serious dark and I just had to guess where it was. I fished it out, took it apart and let it dry for the next 12 hours. It worked fine for another 9 months. Harold took care of it a couple of weeks ago and it is good as new!
    "Where's my COFFEE?"

where can I find the ebay guy that repairs 7135's I sent mine to texas 1 month ago and havent heard a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by crew rep
    where can I find the ebay guy that repairs 7135's I sent mine to texas 1 month ago and havent heard a thing.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/I-will-repair-yo...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks I will get the phone fixed now. When I get it back from texas

http://myspace.com/djpiezo djpiezo's Avatar
    thanks for the info i will send my phone A.S.A.P

Harold is the Bombdiddley.

Howdy everyone. Ringing in from Brooklyn, NY. I've had a smartphone since the 6035 which I found to be great for high school dean work (it took a lick and kept on ticking). It was great in a fight but finally bit the dust after 2 + years of hard work. So, several years ago when the 7135 started to come on the used market I decided to get my wife one for our anniversary. Well the hinge broke on it after 2 weeks and I used it for several months like that after I got her another one. My used 7135s proved to be somewhat unreliable (broken hinge whaddya expect) but my wifes worked fine until the last 4 months (finally locked up a week ago). Sent it off to King Harold, got it back today and wala..presto, perfectly functioning 7135's. Now check this out, I moved from a Samsung i730 back to this phone. I don't like Winmobile at all. The i730 does not have tactile buttons and at 6'3" with big hands the touch screen is a pain to use. I'm lucky I haven't had an accident when driving with it. Needless to say i'm Glad to go back to PalmOS and a smartphone that does phone stuff first (don't you just hate dialing folks because your gut touched a button...well lock the keys they say..nah i'll just go back to my trusty 7135) Harold, he's a Jolly Good Fellow
    Last edited by Junkmein; 03-27-2006 at 07:13 PM.

Good info about Harold! I just added him to my "Favorite Sellers" list on eBay for future reference. Thanks!

Now here's an odd experience worth sharing...

At the start of the year, I encountered the dreaded SRCP -- Service Required, Contact Provider -- that seems to be the death knell of a 7135. Not willing to give up on my phone that is my life, I sent it off to Harold, who replaced the the phone board and brought it back to serviceable condition. With fear and trepidation, I called Verizon to activate the new ECN. No problem.

Fast forward two months to March, when my contract is up and I'm eligible for the new every two bonus. My wife and kids have been nagging me for new phones for their family share accounts, so we troop to the local store, coincidentally on the day that Verizon started offering the Razr two-fer. I'm able to get -- two -- Razrs for $0, but only if I activate one of them on my primary line, the line that I've used with my 7135. It seems I can't apply that new every two credit toward a phone that's not used on the primary line. Taking a deep breath, I plunge and do the deal, after the CSR counsels that I can call up the next day and swap phones/lines.

Surprisingly, no problem.

But two weeks later, I go into 7135 meltdown. 15 or more lock up/crashes a day, with black screens and flashling palm startup screens,every nasty symptom you can think of or have read about, nearly all with the "routine maintenance" message that signifies all is lost and I'll be relying on BackUpBuddy once again. Soft resets, hard resets, everything I can think of or have found in this board... and nothing works. I have visions of having to pay full freight on a Treo 650.

Finally, I make one seemingly unrelated little change, and all is well again!

I'm one to use the stereo headphones -- a lot! I use them when I commute, principally to listen to recorded books during my commute (thanks, Bebopper!), when I'm walking, when I'm biking (100 miles a week), when I'm waiting for the missus as she shops. In the two years I've had my beloved 7135, I've gone through at least 6 sets of the stereo phones, because the skinny little wires eventually go bad from all the abuse. And when they go bad, they have characteristically presented a lot of static and have triggered spontaneous "Say a name" sessions, quickly followed by a corresponding "Exiting voice recognizer."

So in desperation, even though I had no static, no "Say a name" sweetheart, I swapped the headphones for a spare pair. And everything is right in the world. Rock solid performance has returned. I haven't had a single crash since I swapped the headphones. Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by ErikU
    Fast forward two months to March, when my contract is up and I'm eligible for the new every two bonus. My wife and kids have been nagging me for new phones for their family share accounts, so we troop to the local store, coincidentally on the day that Verizon started offering the Razr two-fer. I'm able to get -- two -- Razrs for $0, but only if I activate one of them on my primary line, the line that I've used with my 7135. It seems I can't apply that new every two credit toward a phone that's not used on the primary line. Taking a deep breath, I plunge and do the deal, after the CSR counsels that I can call up the next day and swap phones/lines.

Surprisingly, no problem.
    Was the 7135 activated on a secondary line and then switched back to primary or did you drop service to the 7135 and then reactivate it on the primary line?

Vincent

I dropped service and then reactivated. No problem!