+ Reply to Thread

No hassle, no problem MP3 rintones!

The easiest way I've found to get MP3s as ringtones is the following: Get the MP3 ringer maker software, get Filez program, get a SD card, get the MP3 you want to use, shorten the file name under 7 letters(I haven't tried it with a longer name, but just to be safe...), convert the MP3 using the ringer maker program, put the file on your SD card using a reader(for me that's an HP printer), insert card into phone, run Filez software, move ringer from card to internal. Voila! There's your ringer!

How is that easier than just using the HotSync utility? Seems like your method requires about 6 steps (convert MP3 to ringer, move SD card from phone to card reader, copy ringer to SD card, move SD card from card reader to phone, launch FileZ, move ringer from SD card to RAM) versus 2 steps with HotSync (convert MP3 to ringer, push HotSync button)? Granted the actual data transfer is faster to an SD card via a card reader, but with the typical ringtone file size we're talking about I don't think it's going to save you anything considering all the extra steps you have to take.
    Last edited by Dr. Dolittle; 02-14-2006 at 12:21 PM.

It's easier FOR ME because it takes far less time without any hassle than any other way I've read about. Those six steps take far less time than you seem to think. And all you need to do is pay close attention and you would see that it is the only way I've had success doing it. Based on what I've read here and my own trials, it takes multiple times to get it right if at all. I've never used a hotsync since I haven't picked up a cradle yet, but I've read it trakes a while to download files. The way I go takes less less time I believe, AND IT WORKS 100% OF THE TIME. Every other way I've tried has never worked for me, this way is fast and sure.

Don't get me wrong! If it works for you that's wonderful. I just didn't see the advantage of your method over using the straight-forward (and recommended) method. But if you don't have a data cable then that's obviously out of the question.

Hey gang...
    I usually tranfer ringers to my phone via my SD card cause sometimes my hotsyncs can take awhile. Especially if I'm not ready to do it, I have a time and billing software that finalizes some of the transactions when I hotsync.. It just saves me from having to reconfigure my Hotsync all the time. Also you usually don't have to do a reset to get the ringer file to show up when you transfer with an SD card. In addition, I too am moving files back and forth alot when I'm trying to optimze the ringer volume and duration etc..
    I see the advantage of both ways and tend to use both depending on what else I'm doing.
    mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

So I have a question, now that I have gotten the hang of editing mp3s for ringers, I would probably want to use the SD card to move them quickly, too. So if I don't have FileZ or XLauncher, where do I put the .pdb ringers on the card so they will transfer to the right location on the phone?

Anywhere on the SD card. I created a folder called ringers where I keep ringers that I'm going to transfer to the PDA or If I just want to keep them handy but I don't want them taking up room in the PDA ram. BTW: You will need to move them to that PDA ram as they won't play from the card. So you will need to use a program like FileZ or the built in File manager to do that.
    Mark

OK, so File Manager works fine. Is it just too slow for everybody & that's why users pickup other file managers? Another question? Is there any way to store an mp3 ringer that is NOT a .pdb file in the phone? My Transflash card for my Motorola V710 won't read in my SD reader, but does just fine in my 7135, so I was wondering if there is a way to upload that ringer into my 7135, then put the Transflash in its adapter & push it into the transflash, since the phone can't get outside ringtones other than by purchase or Transflash card.

Quote Originally Posted by thaxman
    OK, so File Manager works fine. Is it just too slow for everybody & that's why users pickup other file managers?
    The file manager has no impact on the speed (data rate) when transferring data between the SD Card and the phone's RAM. This is strictly determined by hardware, mostly by processor speed and the rating of the SD Card itself. People prefer different file managers for the options and capabilities they provide, not for speed. For instance FileZ allows to rename files and change file attributes, neither of which can be done with the standard File Manager.
    Another question? Is there any way to store an mp3 ringer that is NOT a .pdb file in the phone?
    You can store anything on the phone (as long as it fits in the RAM, but you can't use a ringer unless it's in .PDB format. The phone cannot use .MP3 files as ringers since they lack the header information that tells the phone what the file is to be used for. Also, you will need a 3rd party file manager (like FileZ) to copy an .MP3 file from an SD Card to the RAM. If I try it with the built in File Manager it says "soandso.mp3" is not a Palm database.
    My Transflash card for my Motorola V710 won't read in my SD reader, but does just fine in my 7135, so I was wondering if there is a way to upload that ringer into my 7135, then put the Transflash in its adapter & push it into the transflash, since the phone can't get outside ringtones other than by purchase or Transflash card.
    Don't know about that. Is Transflash the same as SD Card? If so, then yes, you can copy anything (using a 3rd party file manager) from an SD Card to RAM and back to another SD Card.
    Last edited by Dr. Dolittle; 02-15-2006 at 04:56 PM.

Here is a transflash adapter:

http://sandisk.com/Products/ProductInfo.aspx?ID=1265

Inside of it goes this:

http://sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(...ash_Cards.aspx

Basically its an SD made for phones & the like that are too small to accept a std. SD card.
    So I just need a 3rd party file manager to put stuff into the 7135 RAM, then I can use my phone as an intermediary between the Motorola & the PC. I think this has already been asked, but who offers one for free/cheap?

Ah, so TransFlash is just another (marketing) name for microSD (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transflash). Learn something new every day! microSD of course is just a miniaturized SD card, it's the same electrical interface in a different (smaller) form factor, somewhat like PC Card and CompactFlash.

As far as the File Manager, FileZ is pretty powerful and entirely free.
    Last edited by Dr. Dolittle; 02-15-2006 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thaxman
    OK, so File Manager works fine. Is it just too slow for everybody & that's why users pickup other file managers? ....
    DrDolittle is correct.. the speed of the transfer is a function of the hardware not the file manager. The different file managers just offer different features. FileZ is popular because it is very featured and of course free. LauncerX and Zlauncher have respectable file managers built in. Here are some others to consider... Mcfile and UniCmd. I think they both have a VFS backup built in too..
    Mark

I have tried several file managers, and kept Filez (small & free) and UniCmd (free and powerful, if somewhat for the occasional user), after trying and immediately buying Resco Explorer.
    Explorer's intuitive graphical interface is absolutely great. The packaged graphics viewers and text viewer/editor are very nice too.
    The only thing lacking is support for the 7135's "ok" button. I have written them requesting support - but one voice will not be enough to take the time to research what is needed and implement it (not that it is hard to do!).

Cool, Thanks!! I will be trying fileZ tonight. I made a new ringtone of my wife's favorite song, Trees, by the Lovehammers for V-Day, but couldn't get it on the phone to surpise her. Now she knows about it, but she will still always know her phone, and I can start using "Low Rider" again.

To admit that you are reduced to playing with your 7135 as a valentine's day gift is truely to admit you have a problem!

and it takes a man to admit he has a problem!

i'm with you bro! LOL

j/k

How do I convert this sound to a ringer?

I tried many programs but can't figure out how to convert it toa ringer for my 7135. Can someone help or guide me? I tried to convert it to an MP3 and then the desktop Mp3 but of no use. Anyone can convert it for me? Thanks
    Attached Files

You have to use the Kyocera MP3 Ringer Maker software that comes on the original install CD to convert the clip from .MP3 to .PDB in order to use as a ring tone, flip sound, alarm sound, etc. The phone does not know what to do with .MP3 files.

I think you may be having your problem converting it because its a MIDI file. Its got to be converted to mp3 in order to run it thru the ringtone maker. Do an internet search for MIDI to mp3 converters if you don't have the software.

Also, you might have better luck posting this in the 7135 download forum, where there are people who visit often who do conversions automically. Why didn't you post the mp3 version you made??