+ Reply to Thread

Replacing (most) of a Verizon 7135

I've been using a 7135 for about 6 months now, and I absolutely love it. I don't want to have to get another model until someone comes out with a flip phone running the palm os on the Verizon network. As far as I know, the only alternative is the older 6035. Not exactly something I want to be using after having a 7135 for so long.

Anyhow, I've dropped my 7135 numerous times and one time half of the hinge cracked off. Now there's a big hole in the phone. I tried supergluing it back together, but the chunk just broke off again the next time I dropped it. Recently I ran across a pretty good deal on a 7135 on eBay - about $70 for a phone with a second battery, a charger, and a holster. When it came in, I took apart the "new" phone first, for practice. All you need is a torx 6 screwdriver. There's the 4 screws on the outside, and when you remove that plastic back cover there are two more holding on one of the two main circuit boards. I removed that carefully (there is a connector near the bottom hotsync plug to the other circuit board). Then there is a plastic separator piece, which I removed. Then I unplugged the screen and the CID display cables, and I was able to remove the other circuit board. After all of this, I took apart my Verizon phone. I then put the two circuit boards from my Verizon phone into the "new" phone, and voila! I've got old brains in a fancy new body. It really did not take all that long. Since I will probably manage to crack the screen or the hinge again, I think I will keep an eye out for another 7135 on ebay.

John Feinberg

On a side note, superglue is not the adhesive to use on these phones. Probably the best thing to use is 3M Automotive Trim Adhesive. The plastic phones are molded from is a similar (if not same) composition as exterior auto plastic, so its a natural. The trim adhesive should melt the edges its attached to causing them two edges to meld into one. Just like the model glue you used to build model airplanes with in Jr. H.S.

You realize there are listings on eBay for just the housing or just the screen, right? Unless you actually want or need another phone, it would be a lot cheaper to just buy the parts you intend on replacing. Just a thought!

My original phone was beat up quite well. The keyboard didn't work well, the hinge was shot, and I had managed to scratch the screen. So just buying a whole new phone was cheaper than buying all the extra parts. Also I got the extra cradle & battery. And now I've got a guinea pig phone that I can use to try the system update with!