+ Reply to Thread

Whaddaya Like for Managing PodCasts, MP3s?

Which software, preferably free, works really well for this purpose?

I download stuff from a local station for playing on the road, mainly PodCasts. I use the native 7135 software, but the jukebox is insane: you can't, AFAICT, pause and restart, nor can you go to a spot on the selection you are playing and start from that spot.

Some have said that the software I use is also a bit slow.

So I'm looking for a bit more useability. Thanks.
    Don Cook
    Formerly Coming to You on my Much Missed 7135 by the Sea Now on a Shiny 700P

Jukebox sucks, I forgot that it even had a name! I use Bebopper (www.belltools.com). It has much more functionality. The only other third party MP3 player for the 7135 is KyoAmp. In either case you wont be abble to fastforward to a spot in the middle of an MP3. That is a limitation of the MP3 chip in the 7135. You can only pause and restart the current track.
    mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Semi-Converged
    Quick BeBopper question:

I am trying out podcasts and loaded one up from NPR onto the SD card. Bebopper hung whenever I tried to play it. Does it have trouble with large files? The much (appropriately) maligned "Jukebox" played it just fine.

This is really an interoperability issue rather than an inherit bug in Bebopper. The ID3v2 tag written by NPR's software -- and recent iTunes releases -- isn't fully compliant with the specification it claims to follow. The tag says it is version 2.4 when in fact it behaves more like 2.3, which causes a problem when Bebopper tries to parse the tags. I'll have to code a workaround.

In the interim if you have iTunes, select the problem files in iTunes. Then from the menu bar: Advanced -> Convert ID3 Tags... -> ID3 tag version v2.3. You'll want to rescan any files already in Bebopper to ensure all the tag data is read.

Semi-Converged
    I am using Replay Radio to download the podcasts, but was having the same issues when I just did a straight download of the mp3 file from the NPR site. Since I can use BeBopper to run files in folders and the original won't look at them, my workaround is to have the podcast as the only mp3 in the top Audio folder.
    I will look at converting ID3 in Replay Radio.

PS Thanks PalmNut. You have done all of us 7135 users a real service!!

For those affected by this problem, a beta of 1.4.3 to workaround this issue is available in the Beta Testing area on BellTools.com. You'll need to login and follow the instructions on joining the beta program given in the technical support forum.