+ Reply to Thread

Defeating Verizon "Data Calls"

I have used a Kycocera 7135 with Verizon service for several years now. Up until a month ago, when I wanted to pull my email remotely, I would simply dial-in and download.

A month ago, however, when I went to pull in my email from my ISP, the call went through quicker than usual, tapping into Verizon's "network." Nice new feature, I thought. Gets me through to my email more quickly.

Then I got the bill.

Looks like Verizon found a way to cash in on remote email access, whether you like it or not.

Well, I don't. Anyone know how to defeat this new "feature," allowing me to download my email the old fashioned way? It is tyranny to charge separately for voice and data minutes, as they both constitute different varieties of the same service.

DDB+

It sounds like you don't have MOU (minutes only usage) on your account, and you were getting data usage from your regular minutes by using the QNC (14.4) instead of 1x connection. I would check your network connection settings and make sure they didn't revert to 1x. BTW I recall reading someplace that Verizon is planning on dropping the slower QNC connection thus forcing everyone to use the 1x speed. Perhaps that has happened in your area.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

It has been noted many times on this web site that Verizon has been refusing to provide MOU data services for new customers for some time now. That they would start switching customers with MOU for data to their higher speed and more expensive 1x plan (apparently without consulting the customer) is not surprising. This obviously does not incourage new customers to sign up with Verizon, but all services will eventually go this way and choices via different services will cease to exist. Hopefully by that time, the high speed data services will be less expensive.

Although I can imagine Verizon doing so (VP's really don't think very much about their customer base), I am reluctant to believe they would pull the 14.4 connection so early. Even for Christmas 2004, at least 80% of CDMA phones still were sold with WAP access (Mobile Web) tied specifically to 14.4, unable to access the 1X connection unless it was Get It Now or another carrier-specific BREW app. That's only 1 year ago. Most phones are sold under a 2 yr contract with the understanding that the phone received is IT for 2 years. If they pulled 14.4, then anyone paying for Mobile Web on a less advanced phone would cancel the $5/month add-on. Lost revenue = bad idea.

ddb+:

I have found with my 7135's that after a hard reset and a restore, the network connection shows QNC, but something is not initialized correctly in the software somewhere, and it is actually using 1x.

I have to change it to 1x, then change it back to QNC, in order for it to work correctly from QNC.

Sometimes after a hard reset and restore, I forget to do this little dance. So I have to be diligent in noticing each time I connect to the internet there is suppose to be a "Call:" message on the small LCD for QNC access. Of course, if you are accessing a familar source of data, a significant speed increase is also an indication that things are "too good".

Has anyone else noticed this?
    FWIW, I am using BBVFSPro for my recoveries.

I have experienced only one hard reset. I did not force this reset; it happened unexpectedly while I was accessing a web page using the EIS browser. After doing a restore via HotSync from my computer, the QNC settings were not altered, and I still had the low speed MOU connection.

thaxman,
    I agree that it is certainly not in the best interest of a service provider to cancel anyone's QNC connection that currently has it, and they certainly need to make it available for any customers that have a non-3G phone. But, I can see the service providers denying it to new 3G customers as, apparently Verizon is doing. My service is with Alltel and, as far as I know, they are still offering the low speed service to all new customers. But, how long will they continue to do this? When service providers no longer offer non-3G phones, I can see all service providers doing this to new customers. In my crystal ball, the Feb. 2008 date, when service providers are no longer required to support analog service, might be a good time to withdraw QNC for new customers.
    Last edited by tedcmiller; 02-28-2006 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks, everyone. I went into network and reset everything. I'll have to keep an eye out whenever I do a hard reset, but that shouldn't be too hard.

ddb+

Do you think Verizon can tell if you're using data over QNC? They threatened to "block" my data calls if I cancelled the data plan they forced on me (without my knowledge). I checked my phone settings and yes I was unknowingly using 1X instead of QNC. Now that I've switched back to QNC I'm wondering if I should call their bluff about "blocking" my data calls.

Semi-Converged
    Don't know about QNC, but Verizon has always blocked my data calls on my pay-as-you-go plan, so they do have some way of telling.

Hey ddb+:

It has been a while - long enough for another monthly bill.

Did the "little dance" I told you about pay off, or did VZW alter your account somehow (either if you added/changed some feature or they did it without telling you in writing [note that latter is most likely illegal under the contract you signed])

Curious minds...

It is pretty likely that Verizon can block QNC calls if they desire, the same way they block 900#s. Data calls are #777, which the switch recognizes as data, and treats them differently than voice calls. They already have a precedent for non-real numbers, like #646 for airtime check. I know they block prepaid from data access, but that should be based on the NPA-NXX (Area code/prefix). Most carriers keep prepaid prefixes seperate from postpaid prefixes, and that allows alot of control pretty easily. If they were to block QNC on postpaid, it would either have to be by esn lot (phone type), prefix (segregational), by region, or a blanket coverage. I suppose they have already proven that they like manipulate esn lots, so by owning a PDA phone, I suppose you could be blocked from QNC if they desired to do so.