+ Reply to Thread

fatal alert/fatal exception

Hi,
    I'm on my 2nd 7135 now and been running great til I took it upon myself to make and add 4 new ringtones to my phone. Since I added the tones, my phone freezes or gives me the dreaded fatal alert box with the fatal exception message.

I tried a hard reset and reloaded all of my backed-up files. I reloaded the ringtones and here I am again. Whenever I get a call, fatal error and have to do a soft reset...try to play a game...fatal error and have to reset...web browse...fatal error and have to reset.

I guess my next step is to hard reset and not reload the ringtones and see what happens, right? Anybody have any helpful comments or suggestions about what may be going on with this? At this point, I am wondering if the Treo is my next phone (and soon to be if this keeps up)...of course, if I decide to leave Verizon, are there any other smart phones out there to go running to, I wonder?

I'll hang up and listen now...

The ringtones may be corrupted or in some unrecognized format. Did you use the Kyocera Ringer Maker to create them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dolittle
    The ringtones may be corrupted or in some unrecognized format. Did you use the Kyocera Ringer Maker to create them?
    Yes, I made the ringtones with the Kyocera Ringer Maker. I did them the old way I used to from reading here before. I used the Easy CD-DA extractor program to convert the mp3s to WAVs and then edited them with the Microsoft sound recorder and then converted them back into mp3s to convert to ringtones with the Ringer Maker program. The ringtones were all less than 500k long and had the right palm file extension from the Ringer Maker. I loaded them on the phone and they worked fine at first, but I got more and more frequent fatal error messages til now I get them no matter what I do with my 7135.

Since I posted this message, I did a hard reset and wiped everything off the phone (including all my mp3s on the memory card). I am still getting lock-ups and fatal error messages. I took the phone to a Verizon store...and this ticked me off that they refuse to even look at any of their smartphones. I said if this "smartphone bigotry" (yep, said it) was just for my 7135 or if I had a Treo instead and I was told "all smartphone users have to call this 866 number". So, I called them...and the reply to my problem was "sounds like a hardware or software issue, so we will send you a new 7135 to replace your defective unit". ooook, I don't know if this is through Lockline or whatever and I thought they were out of 7135 replacement units, but I guess I will try a replacement. This will be my 3rd 7135. I wonder what Verizon will say if I get the new phone and have the same problems after reloading my ringtones?

The question I would ask is: Do you have any problems after a hard reset without loading any 3rd party software or ringtones or anything else that doesn't come with the phone in the first place? If the phone has problems and hangs after going through the hard reset and without doing anything else to it then it's a hardware problem. If it works fine until you download 3rd party software then the problems are caused by something you install onto it.

The question I would ask is: Do you have any problems after a hard reset without loading any 3rd party software or ringtones or anything else that doesn't come with the phone in the first place? If the phone has problems and hangs after going through the hard reset and without doing anything else to it then it's a hardware problem. If it works fine until you download 3rd party software then the problems are caused by something you install onto it.
    Yes, after everything is gone and the phone is back in the condition I originally got it in...I didn't synch it up to restore anything to it from my pc... and it still freezes or gives me the fatal error message (forcing me to reset) everytime I attempt to go thru my icons, look at my main menu or make/receive a call. I guess it could be a hardware issue, but it has to be related to the ringtones I loaded since this all started shortly thereafter and I don't believe much in coincidences. I guess when I get the new phone, I will restore the ringtones and programs that were on the phone originally and try it for a while before I add each new ringtone one by one to see if one of them is causing the problem. Thanks for replying!

You might try a hard reset, followed by leaving it unpowered (battery out, charger disconnected) for half a day or more.

Later, be sure to leave it on the charger for several hours after the Li battery pack charges so it can recharge the internal backup that holds settings while swapping battery packs.

And let us know if they really send you a 7135, or if they "upgrade" you to something else. Some folks have been promised another 7135 (it's in the mail), but it never materialized. You might need to check on the status (maybe request a tracking number?) after awhile.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter
    I guess it could be a hardware issue, but it has to be related to the ringtones I loaded since this all started shortly thereafter and I don't believe much in coincidences.
    A hard reset completely wipes our your RAM and none of your old software and/or settings will be retained, so it cannot be related to the ringtones. Everything you did to the phone is wiped clean by a hard reset. It restores it to the exact same condition that it came in from the factory. If it has a problem in that state it is not related to any software you installed previously.

Quote Originally Posted by ReadOnly
    You might try a hard reset, followed by leaving it unpowered (battery out, charger disconnected) for half a day or more.

Later, be sure to leave it on the charger for several hours after the Li battery pack charges so it can recharge the internal backup that holds settings while swapping battery packs.

And let us know if they really send you a 7135, or if they "upgrade" you to something else. Some folks have been promised another 7135 (it's in the mail), but it never materialized. You might need to check on the status (maybe request a tracking number?) after awhile.

Good luck.
    Thanks. I will give your suggestion a try since nothing else has helped so far.

The fellow I spoke to with Verizon gave me an order number and a tracking number for the replacement phone. I read what everyone has been stating here about maybe Verizon replacing the 7135 with a Treo 600/650 for replacement phones. I was never told it would be anything other than a 7135. To be honest, I am wondering if the 650 would be an improvement with the similiar functionality and the addition of the camera and keyboard. I feel it is a step backward cosmetically with the 6035 candybar shape instead of the clamshell...I guess I could get used to the appearance if it works the same or better than my 7135.

I'll post a message when the replacement arrives...whatever it is.

A hard reset completely wipes our your RAM and none of your old software and/or settings will be retained, so it cannot be related to the ringtones. Everything you did to the phone is wiped clean by a hard reset. It restores it to the exact same condition that it came in from the factory. If it has a problem in that state it is not related to any software you installed previously.
    Ok, I see what you are saying and it makes perfect sense. The timing of the phone doing a meltdown on me immediately after installing the new ringtones still strikes me as odd.

An update...today Verizon sent me a 7135...I don't think it is new because it came without a battery, back cover, stylus...just the phone itself. Maybe a refurb? I tried to activate it through Verizon and in a clear case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, the Verizon tech person told me that their computer won't allow them to activate the replacement 7135 because it is not a GPS-trackable phone. Huh...He put me on hold to check into why I got sent a 7135 then as a replacement and after about 5 minutes he came back on and said they screwed up and that they are replacing all 7135s with Treo 650s when there is a defective/broken 7135.

I didn't exactly fight the 650 replacement, but I will see what happens with this because if I don't like it, I am not locked into staying with Verizon and could switch carriers/phones.

Are there any phones out there that anybody here would recommend over the 7135 or 650?

Nope. Keep the 7135 and have it repaired by Harold or otherwise.

http://myspace.com/djpiezo djpiezo's Avatar

Unhappy I'm having the same problem with my 7135

I tried Hard Reseting,I tried Everything But Nothing Works...My problem Is That The Palm Logo Shows Up And It Keeps Blinking Over and over...I Hold Down The Reset Button For A Hard Rest and then i wait for it to say erase all data...then i press up to erase all data and it freezes up sometime but overall it continues to blink over and over again....Anybody Have the same problem Like I Do...Help Me Out....

Quote Originally Posted by djpiezo
    I tried Hard Reseting,I tried Everything But Nothing Works...My problem Is That The Palm Logo Shows Up And It Keeps Blinking Over and over...I Hold Down The Reset Button For A Hard Rest and then i wait for it to say erase all data...then i press up to erase all data and it freezes up sometime but overall it continues to blink over and over again....Anybody Have the same problem Like I Do...Help Me Out....
    My Palm logo is a negative image sometimes, white on a blackened screen. Kind of looks satanic actually. I half wonder if my phone is possessed or if this because I was using "Devil Went Down to Georgia" for my ringtone?

Seriously, if the hard reset apparently doesn't fix it, the phone is passing into the repair/replace situation I am in. Do you use Verizon too? If so, you need to read the new thread I am posting about my latest encounter with these weasels.

Sadly my 7135 has found it's way to the land of negative Palm loading screens that freeze up as well. That's all I get just the negative Palm Logo.

Mine all started with loading some home made MP3 ringers too, and yes i used the kyocera ringtone maker. Soon after I started getting fatal exceptions and fatal alerts that would freeze up and i would have to do a hard reset with the white button on the back. Now just the negative Palm logo. I'm assuming there is nothing that can be done. Which sucks cause I didn't get insurance like a freakin idiot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fatal alert/fatal exception-dscn1526.jpg