+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    South Carolina...Southern by the grace of God!

Bluetooth adaptor and wireless headset?

In the market for a wireless handsfree. What has been successful for you guys?

Mike,

Use the Search function (bluetooth headsets); it's the source of many previous discussions/lessons learned from old timers & upstarts. But, in short, since our beloved 7135 doesn't have Bluetooth capability, we have to use an adapter for a bluetooth wireless headset. The Jabra BT200 (comes with adapter) has been used by many with good results or the Jabra A210 adapter has been used with many bluetooth headsets.
    Ron Honey
    7135 Nut

I have been researching the same topic too. Like ronhoney said, most of the people in the forum were quite satisfied with Jabra BT200 or A210. The adapter came with BT200 is also a multi-adapter too which means you can use other bluetooth headset with the BT200 adapter. The advantage of BT200 is you get both headset and adapter in one purchase whereas you need to purchase bluetooth headset separate for Jabra A210. However, BT200 is Bluetooh 1.1 and A210 is Bluetooth 1.2 which is forward and backward compatible which means A210 can practically pair up with any headset and BT200 can only work with Bluetooth 1.1 headset.

So I guess it is up to to choose which one is suitable for you.

Thanks for the recap.
    But I am not sure what you mean by "The adapter came with BT200 is also a multi-adapter too which means you can use other bluetooth headset with the BT200 adapter".
    Spouse is really grousing about all the cables and really interested in BT to simplify car use of the 7135.

sf1
    can i listen to mp3 with the bt headset?

I just bought a BT-200 recently. From what I have been reading from the manual so far, you should able to use pair any bluetooth headset with BT-200 adapter as long as the bluetooth headset is bluetooth v1.1 and BT-200 headset can pair up with any bluetooth enable phone like Treo 650 as long as the phone support bluetooth v1.1.

In addition, I am able to run the built-in MP3 player from 7135 to play some songs through the BT-200 headset. Of course it is not stereo.

awatt -
    Thanks for writing back. Good info about being able to use the headset for non-call related audio - we listen to audio books A LOT, and this would be ideal for that I think...

I am deeply concerned about compatibility - according to Jabra's web site, the 7135 is NOT compatible with the BT200. They suggest using the A210. Does the adapter have a 4-band or a 3-band plug on it? If it is a 3 band variety, it may work, for awhile, but then your phone will likely flake out. Lots of 7135 owners found this out by trying to use a non-Kyocera headset with their phones. USUALLY discontinuing the use of a 3-band plug device will allow it to recover... but some folks have had trouble long after that. Seems that plugging a 3-band plug into the 7135's 4-band socket can short out some of the signals, and the electronics may not like this in the long term. While some Nokia phones have a 4-band format, its pinout seems to be defined differently than the 7135 is. I think there was a Samsung phone that had a 4-band connector too, and from what I have been able to find out, it appears to work, if you're willing to hear the left channel with your right ear and vice-versa...

Also, one thing that I had HEARD was when using the A210 adapter: SOMETIMES the unit would get out of sync with the phone's calling status. Meaning the adapter thinks the phone is in a call, but is really not, so button pushes on the headset to start and end calls would be doing the opposite... so you would not hear the calls, or be able to pick them up, while using the adapter when it is out of sync in this manner. I think I recall this could be reset by powering down the adapter and perhaps unplugging it from the phone...

Have you experienced either of these problems with the BT-200?

Good luck with your purchase, and Please keep us posted on how it goes for you...

Speaking of headsets, Kyocera has this new stereo headset called the "Music Controller" (http://store.kyocera-wireless.com/pr...productID=4233) that's marketed for the KX5 Slider, but it looks like it might also work with the 7135. Has anyone tried that?

sf1
    Quote Originally Posted by awatt
    I just bought a BT-200 recently. From what I have been reading from the manual so far, you should able to use pair any bluetooth headset with BT-200 adapter as long as the bluetooth headset is bluetooth v1.1 and BT-200 headset can pair up with any bluetooth enable phone like Treo 650 as long as the phone support bluetooth v1.1.

In addition, I am able to run the built-in MP3 player from 7135 to play some songs through the BT-200 headset. Of course it is not stereo.
    how is the battery life of the bt200 if i play mp3 with it?

and will the a210 allow me to use newer bt headset with stereo mp3 sound?
    Last edited by sf1; 03-27-2006 at 11:43 PM.

In my understanding, A210 does not support stereo. I guess if you want to get stereo bluetooth headphone for 7135, there is not direct solution. One idea I have is to use Logitech Bluetooth headphone for ipod (I believe it should be using 3.5mm plug) and also use a 2.5mm to 3.5mm convert adapter. It might able to get stereo wireless headphone. However, if you go this route, you won't able to answer phone while playing music.

As far as the out-of-sync, I do encounter this problem. But I guess we have to understand that 7135 is not like other built-in bluetooth enable phones which can handle sync'ing the headset much better. You just have to practice couple times and becomes more predictable. So far I am pretty good on out-going call which I think I use the most. The next step is to coordinate the phone button and in-coming calls.

So far I am quite satisfy with the headset.

How many bands on the plug? Four or three?

ReadOnly, I think you are correct. All it matters are the bands layout on the headset line up with the phone regardless it is 3 band or 4 band. The BT200 is 3 band plug and so far I think the bands line up with the phone. I also have the Kyocera stereo headset which has 4 band on it. In my understanding, the extra band - 4th band is for stereo output only. I had purchased another no brand 4 band stereo headset for 7135 but those bands don't line up with the phone. It ended up I waste my money so that's why I purchased Kyocera headset. I don't believe that 3 band plug will short out any signal because I think you can buy a non-stereo headset from Kyocera web site and it is 3 band plug. If what you are saying is correct, Kyocera won't sell any headset with 3 band plug then.

My understanding is the 4 bands are ground, mic, left, and right (NOT listed here in ANY special order).
    If you are using a phone headset (no stereo), then the right channel is unused, so only 3 connections are required. But to fit 4 bands where 3 usually go is problematic - "standard" 3 zone plugs are not going to line up with all of the contact areas in the phone's socket, and some rings will touch more than one contact in the phone, shorting together the circuits. Of course, three rings can be placed in a non-standard way to avoid this problem, but it won't be a general market item since it will be targeted at the 7135 socket's internal geometries.

As I wrote earlier, Jabra claims this BT200 unit is not compatible with the 7135. Hence why I asked about how many bands...

Well, if you concern compatibility issue, A210 adapter will be a good solution for you. I have checked Kyocera web site last night and found BT250 with A210 adapter being listed in the web site.

It matters a lot about the type of plug used with the 7135. The 7135 requires a 4-circuit plug with the correct physical spacing for the two audio channels (left and right), the microphone, and a common ground. In addition, the connections to the four bands must be correct or the results will be unpredictable and potentially damaging. The use of 3-circuit 3.5 mm-to-2.5 mm adapters (such as those available at R-S) will not function properly and will cause problems.

ReadOnly is correct in that the use of a monophonic headset requires only one of the two stereo channels. He is also correct in that the correct physical spacing and connections to the three circuits that are used (one audio, one microphone, and ground) are still required. To the best of my knowledge, there is no 3-circuit headset to 4-circuit 7135 adapter available. You have to make one by using a proper 4-circuit, 2.5 mm plug correctly wired to a 3-circuit, 3.5 mm jack (socket). Some people have made (and sold) similar adapters for use with stereo headsets (two audio channels and ground) but they don't have the proper connections for a headset with a microphone.

Has everybody forgot about these guys?
    http://www.pc-mobile.net/ky7135.htm
    I think I recall somebody using one with a Jabra back whenever.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

MG -

Thanks for reminding us about this vendor.

However - the adapters they sell are for stereo output via standard 3.5mm plugs.

They don't offer anything for use with phone headset standard 2.5mm three ring plugs.

I don't know anyone that does.

Another vendor offering a stereo output is:http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~unit~Kyocera_7135-160~area~accessories~item~PPCPADPT09.htm
    But again, it won't be of any use either for phone calls via a standard 3 ringged headset plug.

I stand corrected... I thought I remember seeing someone that sold those types of adapters... I'll have to dig around the post archives to see if I can recall who.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

CoolCat use to make a couple of variations of his adapters, one of which was a Y-adapter - one plug connecting to two sockets. You could use one socket for 3.5mm stereo headphones, the other socket you could use to attach a standard 2.5mm phone headset. I am not sure if you could do both at once - the left channel drive electronics would be driving two loads in parallel, and might not have been up to it in the long run.
    I would love to have a couple of this type of adapters!
    Alas, CoolCat suspended his mini-production efforts a long time ago.
    And to my knowledge, no one ever stepped into the void he left.

Quote Originally Posted by ReadOnly
    I am deeply concerned about compatibility - according to Jabra's web site, the 7135 is NOT compatible with the BT200.
    However, on the Kyocera website under 7135 Support, the Jabra BT200 is specifically listed as an "approved accessory for the 7135 Smartphone".