+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arrow Droid Tethering - A must have, or has Darth Verizon disabled it?

I am currently looking to replace my i760, my trusted workhorse for years. But its having issues (touch screen is loosing sensitivity).

A must have for me is tethering. I currently use a USB modem app for free USB tethering on the i760.

I have heard that wifi tethering is possible with this phone, is that confirmed or just rumor (or possible, only disabled by Darth Verizon).

Is usb tethering working if not wifi? I would prefer to no pay extra monthly fees for the same service, but I would pay for a specialized app if needed.

Droid looks like a worthy replacement for the i760, I will miss my slingplayer app, but with tethering I can load it on my laptop.

pdanet makes an android tethering app.

Not sure if there are other app's in android to do it- but i'd say the presence of the pdanet app means that tethering isn't generally included in the OS so there's nothign for DV to disable. DV appears to have NOT TOUCHED the device or it's features. It comes with free turn by turn google maps rather than VZNav, and access to the android apps store rather than the impending VZ app store, and amazon mp3 store rather than VZ's rhapsody service, so clearly they are a bit more open then the past.

saw a youtube video for Droid tethering and they did it in just a few seconds. via wifi
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

So, it will work out of the box with no commercial 3rd party applications?

That'd be really nice.

so tethering is crippled now too?
    DROID tethering? It's coming early 2010, says Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by amirmckelvey View Post
    saw a youtube video for Droid tethering and they did it in just a few seconds. via wifi
    Wanna help us out with the video link? I cannot seem to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8driver View Post
    I had posted this same concern in the other thread about the Droid being crippled. My biggest concern is even if you can tether through PDANet or other third party programs... how reliable or compatible is this considering this is the 2.0 build of Android. I remember how it was to tether without the blessing of big red using third party apps... connection drops every 10 minutes or other problems... We will see...
    "We don't need no stinkin' iphones!!!" I love my Touch Pro 2..... Bleeding edge previous devices include the Samsung i760, dirrrty i730, XV6600, Blackberry 7750, Audiovox Thera, and Ipaq 5550.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8driver View Post
    Check this out.. they've crippled it so they can make money off it... $30 bux a month.. that's a pretty rich fee
    Verizon confirms Droid tethering option, hefty price tag

Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Wow.

I have never done tethering with my i760, but was planning on doing it w/ the Droid.

Will there be 3rd party apps that will allow it and will be one-time fees or even free?

You get the feeling that one of VZ's goals with the Droid was to make $$ off tethering. They may have built something in that makes it tough if not impossible to conceal tethering. It's going to be very interesting over the next week to see how this plays out.

I suppose I am going to buy it regardless.

I am due for a new phone and I've been waiting and waiting for this. Was able to play with it for a little bit at the VZW store on Wednesday and I'm sold.

Tethering would be nice; and I expect someone will find a way around it. Like I said, I never did use tethering on my i760, so if there's no way to do it on the Droid, I guess I'm not missing anything.

VZW always wants you to pay more for tethering... and people always use pdanet... am i missing something?
    www.paperbackswap.com
    www.swapadvd.com
    Hooraysimpsons on both

Quote Originally Posted by hooraysimpsons View Post
    VZW always wants you to pay more for tethering... and people always use pdanet... am i missing something?
    Just the drivers to make PDANet work

I am sure it will be figured out within a couple if days now that the phone is released.

Alan

Tethering through PDANet solved

Download the Motorola SDK handset drivers here MOTODEV > Documentation & Tools > USB Drivers > Handset USB Driver for Windows (registration required),

(for 64 bit machines, drivers here http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto...r_4.1.0_64.zip)

Install on your computer.

On the Droid, go to settings, application, development, and turn on USB Debugging, then plug Droid into computer. A bunch more drivers will install.

Reboot computer (required on XP. May not be needed on 7 or Vista)

Download PDANet and install: PdaNet -- Use your Android as a USB Modem

It has a trial mode so you can test before buying. Even after the trial expires, you can still use it for HTTP browsing, but it blocks other protocols.

Start tethering.

Your phone needs to be put in this debug mode whenever you want to use PDANet.

Alan

Sped test results tethered through PDANet:

Alan

sorry I didn't post it sooner about tethering, but yeah pdanet is the key.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Indeed, PDA net works well. I had to search for the drivers on Motorola's site. The link came back as bad. I used Motorola_Consumer_Driver_Installation_MotoConnect_01.01.12_32_bit_4.1.0. Then followed the rest of the instructions.
    Finally, when I turned off my anti-virus, it worked great. I did a speed test and was connecting at around 500Kb.
    This will come in quite handy, as where the wife and I are going for the next week charges $15 per day per computer for internet access. I would rather pay PDA for their software than that kind of ludicris rate.
    That said, given I have been used to WinMo PDA's, and Android is a bird of a different feather, I like it.
    I think Verizon has finally gotten it right. I know that I have never gotten more for the price I paid. My XV6900 was around $200, and the Droid does much more and for half of the cost. (after rebate of course.)

Thumbs down free only

no chance i am paying verizon for tethering

and most certainly not paying pdanet

---free tethering app to start tethering behind verizon's back---

THE ONLY OPTION

Quote Originally Posted by androidman27 View Post
    no chance i am paying verizon for tethering

and most certainly not paying pdanet

---free tethering app to start tethering behind verizon's back---

THE ONLY OPTION
    PDANet charges a reasonable price for an excellent product. Not sure why you would be unwilling to consider them.

If you take the time to write an app and offer it for free, then OK.

Alan

Official Food Taster WebmastuhB's Avatar
    Agreed androidman27. I cannot agree more with you. The fact that Verizon wants to charge people additional money for tethering is just disgusting. I already pay them an insane amount for cellphone usage each month ($250+ each month including $30 for high speed internet access) and then they want to charge me another $30 for tethering? They can kiss my a$$.

If PDANet can tether without Verizon knowing or disabling it, there is no reason why a free app (or several free apps) cannot also be written.

And I'm trying to think of a way that would allow Verizon to distinguish between data packets sent to a tethered laptop, or to software running on the Droid, and I am not sure how that would be possible other than with a software hack on the phone, which I am sure could be easily removed/tricked.