+ Reply to Thread

Anyone have trouble getting the soft buttons to register?

I have not bought this phone yet. One of the biggest things stopping me was what seemed like a total lack of response of the soft key buttons at the bottom. IE: The back button, the home button, etc.

In the VZ Store, I sat there for 5 minutes screwing with those buttons. I tried it on 3 different phones they had in the store.

Sometimes I had to press them 5 or 6 times before they would register. Was it me, or are those buttons not nearly as sensitive as they should be?

Thanks,
    Joe

I would have to say that I never really trusted demo phones... especially highly advertised ones.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

I've at times found them to be too sensitive. Just a brush across the back key/button when doing something like turning the phone into landscape orientation and I trigger it. I have found over the last day or two that the keys on the portrait on-screen keyboard are not registering correctly at times. I press a key and it shows that I pressed it, but the letter doesn't appear on the screen. Or other times I'll press something (not on the keyboard) and I'll get an audible click, so I know I touched it, but nothing happens. I have to press again, more "certainly," and then it responds.

I love the phone. But I'm coming from a Saga and the increasingly frequent failure of the keys on the on-screen keyboard to register the letter I pressed is slowing down my ability to learn to type quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by csodjd View Post
    I've at times found them to be too sensitive. Just a brush across the back key/button when doing something like turning the phone into landscape orientation and I trigger it.
    Same here. They're pretty sensitive.
    I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob.

ditto- i need to practice NOT brushing them when i rotate to landscape.

That's wierd. I tried 3 different phones...I had to pound on all of them to get them to even press once.

Gunna have to go back now and look at it again.

- Joe

Quote Originally Posted by mihalich View Post
    That's wierd. I tried 3 different phones...I had to pound on all of them to get them to even press once.

Gunna have to go back now and look at it again.

- Joe
    I've been beating on the phone pretty hard since I got it (like most people would I guess with a new gizmo) and a couple times I've gotten it to be non-responsive when i loaded up and ran piles of third party apps that were incompatible. So maybe someone just futz the display models?

top right corner is the off button. Press and hold and a pop up comes- select to turn it off. when it's off then press (and HOLD a while) the on button to turn back on. Once you have it rebooted see if it's any better. Might just be they've been so futzed with they need a reboot.

Not to scare you off- for the record even with this first release of the 2.x os on the first device- it's NOT palm os or windows mobile that always locks up and needs reboots. Android is stable as anything, and generally under heavy abuse i can't even get it to be laggy. But there are a couple apps that aren't updated that have made it do odd stuff. I'm truly amazed at what a good smartphone OS it really is. Windows Mobile is dead unless they pull of a miracle. And palm's webos really needs to be lightyears better than palm OS to survice with Android also in the ring.

Sounds really good. Thanks for the info.

Joe

When I read about 'pounding the buttons' and accidentally brushing the buttons, I think to my own experiences over the past couple of days and my years of WinMo experience.

The 4 buttons at the bottom are part of the capacitive touch screen, and need no pressure but seem more a matter of timing. If it doesn't register when you touch it, just pick up your finger and try again, but don't think of it as any pressure required. That has helped me.