+ Reply to Thread

DROID HAS BEEN ROOTED...

Follow the link for the post with all the downloads and info.
    AllDroid.com - Droid Rooted
    I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob.

Okay, excuse my lack of knowledge. But, what does it all mean? What practical impact is there from rooting the phone? And, what risk is there, if any, that the next OTA update will brick a rooted phone?

Quote Originally Posted by csodjd View Post
    Okay, excuse my lack of knowledge. But, what does it all mean? What practical impact is there from rooting the phone? And, what risk is there, if any, that the next OTA update will brick a rooted phone?
    There is always a risk when you do something like "rooting" your device.

As for weighing the good vs the risks, that's up to you.

Lastly, from what I've read, the next OTA update won't brick your phone. It might not work, but it won't brick your phone.

Without a recovery image, its probably a good idea to hold off until this has been well tested.
    I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by alquimista View Post
    Without a recovery image, its probably a good idea to hold off until this has been well tested.
    is the update zip file floating around the net a complete image or are those just patch type files without the entire thing?

(I think I saw the zip is something like 10-12 megs?)

what is this like an iPhone jailbreak?
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Self-Proclaimed Cell Phone Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
    is the update zip file floating around the net a complete image or are those just patch type files without the entire thing?

(I think I saw the zip is something like 10-12 megs?)
    It's just a package of the the updated software. So, for instance, if you unzip the file and look at the structure and the files contained, you'll be able to see what packages got updated. It doesn't mean that anything significant was changed in them, could be as simple as the spelling on a label, but if you see it in the update.zip, it was touched in the the update.

If you're going to play with the update, I'd get it directly from google, other than playing with one that someone else could have essential sabotaged... here's the link for the 2.0.1 update :

https://android.clients.google.com/u...0.84263456.zip

Quote Originally Posted by amirmckelvey View Post
    what is this like an iPhone jailbreak?
    similar except that google doesn't go around actively trying to stop people from rooting the android phones.

Has there been anything in the process of rooting the device relating to FM reception/transmission? I haven't had time to read through the whole thread linked above.

However, according to the thread linked in my post below, the Droid has the hardware to send and receive FM transmissions. It would be nice to do both (receive radio and transmit audio to car stereo).

Droid Includes FM Receiver and Transmitter - Android Forums
    www.paperbackswap.com
    www.swapadvd.com
    Hooraysimpsons on both