+ Reply to Thread

New Q - Code named Napoleon

Just when I think I have a good phone, something new comes along that looks great.

Motorola's worldly Q9: "Napoleon" breaks cover for Verizon - Engadget

This new Q has everything I can think of:

1. EVDO rev A. - fast internet access
    2. Better keyboard layout - number keys in better position and more.
    3. WI-FI access built in.
    4. Finger print scanner for security access.
    5. World phone...CDMA and GSM in the same phone.
    6. 2 megapixel camera
    7. Very nice bold professional coloring.

Well I know what I am going to do with my upcoming upgrade in the fall.

Rob.
    www.mobilerob.com
    Productivity software for Smartphones

Yeahhhhhh ain't that GREAT???!!! I just HOPE to GOD Verizon doesn't tear it up and lock it down like they do everything else. I wanna see ICS and an unlocked GPS chip on the thing. Coz the prospect of considering a Treo 800w on Sprint terrifies me as an alternative if VZW ruins this Napoleon.

Either that or stay with my old Silver off contract until it croaks. I got the $79.99 core choice plan and they are still only offering me a measly $50 on my NE2 right now, and to add insult to injury, this blurb I got in the mail has this funky Centro which offers absolutely no advantage over my Q but deftly costs me all my WinMo apps in the "bargain". Yuck.

Oh, BTW, speaking of Napoleon as a World Phone, I read somewhere (can't remember the link) that someone put an AT&T sim in that puppy and away they went on AT&T over EDGE. Now how come they just couldn't have gone all out with a global tri-band HSPA radio in it too? And while they're at it, how about a "classic" Q with the Napoleon's guts? As I much prefer the classic to the newer styles, that would really be Nirvana for me.

Yep, I got a talent for finding fault with something perfect so I better shut up and quit.
    Last edited by dima; 07-16-2008 at 11:23 AM.

I'll bet money that the shipped version won't be able to access U.S. GSM carriers, at least out of the box. The GSM feature will be marketed as "overseas only" like the Samsung Ace on Sprint.

I am anxiously awaiting the "napolean" or the Samsung i770 Verizon's Samsung i770 in production trim? - Engadget Mobile
    from Verizon. They are both going to be "world" phones. I have decided that my next smartphone has to be a world phone as I do get to travel out of the country once or twice a year.
    The i770 is a touchscreen model so I may have to go back to the touchscreen darkside!
    Also, the new Palm 800w looks pretty nice and has some strong specs and a huge screen... lot's to think about!

Certainly agree on the world phone concept. I have wanted the combined unit since I started traveling internationally.

Rob.
    www.mobilerob.com
    Productivity software for Smartphones

Every company seems to be going world phone happy on Verizon now. Even the Blackberry Thunder will be a world phone.

I'm betting the Q9n will be coming out on Verizon sometime close to the end of the year as we are all well aware the Thunder is the next big phone Verizon has their sights set on. It's also way too early for another Q to release as the Q9c has only been out a few months. Even the Q8 silver had at least a half a year to be sold before the black model came out.

Motorola makes quality phones, there is no denying that, but I'm getting a Thunder personally. No way I'm waiting for a Q9n when the phone is too little, too late. It's still using the same screen and that resolution is more or less close to being dead. HTC increased their rez, RIM increased theirs, Palm increased theirs, and so did Samsung.

And FYI for the built in GPS lovers, there has been no word about GPS in the new Q9n. The people who have used it have not seen any traces of a GPS which is pretty lame if true.
    Last edited by vaxick; 07-31-2008 at 07:24 PM.

The latest word is that Verizon passed on the Q9 Napolean. No new Q love from VZW??? I hope that this rumor is not true. I was really looking forward to comparing the Napolean to the Sammy i770 Saga!

I hope as well. The i700 would be okay ... but it does not appear to have as good of a keyboard and does not have as an appealing design as the Q9n.

I will probably wait until after January and see what VZW decides to do.

Rob.

i am trying hard to wait! i want something new very bad! the storm and i770 are calling my name loud and clear but i dont want to make a move until i see napolean!

Just wanted to say that this is a very nice unit and it does have all of the capabilities mentioned above...but does in fact have GPS locked out from third party apps. I'm working on that...

i came very close to buying a Napolean/A4500 from someone the other day. it was a tough decision to not get it. i went with a BB Storm and i am extremely happy with it. if i end up finding an "N" for a real good deal at some point i will get it to flip back and forth between. looking forward to hearing more about it.