+ Reply to Thread

Angry HTTP://device.home 'answer' from Cingular + a question...

Spent 40 minutes on the phone to Cingular today, got through right away but asking for anybody who knew anything about the MPX220 got me put on hold for about 30 minutes before they even asked what I wanted to know, and they tried to get me to hang up and call Moto with my question, after having hung up on me when I called to ask about insurance on the handset through Cingular (the answer to that seems to be no...).

Finally got through to somebody who knew a MPX220 from a hole in the ground (though not all that much more) and asked why even though I was able to access the internet and I am all setup on their MEdia Net website--with my phone registered, I can't use the MEdia Net bookmark in IE.

His answer was that the device.home page is a WAP page, and since IE doesn't really do WAP that whole feature subset of the $20/mo MEdia Net subscription doesn't work for MPX220 users. Which sucks, because I'd love quick access to the information I set it up to track without the crap SMS messages (have you seen how idiotic SMS movie info is?!)

I'm starting to get a bit miffed about the things sitting on this phone that don't actually work with it, seems like a piss poor job of setting up the image... My favorite has to be Pocket MSN not working and the only way to get MICROSOFT HOTMAIL on a MICROSOFT SMARTPHONE is through the *very* slow web...

So the question is, what's the best 3rd party WAP browser, and is it free?

your rep didn't know what he was taking about

I think your rep gave you some bad info. I have a mpx 220 from cingular with there unlimitted 20 plan. I have had zero issues with the device.home page displaying. Also I have not had any issues with wap pages with the version of internet explorer that is included with the device. Also I have no issues with speed, things to load fairly quickly. I even use the modemlink option connect to my work desktops from my laptop when the laptop and phone are connected. I am able to use remote desktop with very little delay.

Not sure what exactly is wrong with your phone but the info about the media net your got from your rep is not correct, it should work just fine.

Not surprised my Cingular contact was wrong, but...

...am I the only one that gets "The page you are looking for cannot be found." when I hold down the home key??

What do you have your settings set for, such as in PIE, options, connections... is it set to 'the internet'?

I also have my laptop able to connect to the internet through my phone, though I find it to be rather slow... slower then I remember 56k modems being anyway, and I don't think I'm alone it that...

pocket ie settings

The settings for pocket ie under options are unchecked automatically detect settings. and slect network is selected as wap.

Jeremy

I missed unchecking 'automatically detect' once I did that and set the network to WAP instead of 'the internet' (and rebooted for safe measure) it started working. My understanding is that means pIE can't use my desktop's Internet connection while active synced though...

MEdia Net's not that great, it's idiotic how deeply they hide the information you specified you were interested in on the setup page; it's not any faster then anything else (initially I thought it would be a push service or something), and there doesn't seem to be much use to the Cingular email, though I haven't tested this much.

Thanks though!

I do believe pocket ie will use the internt from your desktop when synced, at leat mine does. I do agree however that there probably should be a little bit better documentation on the phone and setting one needs to use. If they sell the phone there should be someone that can explicity support it.

I've given up on getting any intelligent advice from Cingular - this and other forums are the only place for the truth. I was told that my MPx220 was considered a PDA and wouldn't work unless I upgraded my data plan (I have the $7 per mo MediaNET plan). Right now I'm have all services without a hitch. I found the following site very useful in getting everything working:

navasgrp.home.att.net/tech/cingular/

Originally posted by traderyoda
    I've given up on getting any intelligent advice from Cingular - this and other forums are the only place for the truth. I was told that my MPx220 was considered a PDA and wouldn't work unless I upgraded my data plan (I have the $7 per mo MediaNET plan). Right now I'm have all services without a hitch. I found the following site very useful in getting everything working:

navasgrp.home.att.net/tech/cingular/
    The first link on this page was dead when I checked it. When you say everything working "without a hitch," are you also implying that your speed is decent. I've tweaked my settings enough to get the internet to work, but I'm still waiting up to 30 seconds for TEXT pages to load.

Thanks,

Tyler

Nope - the speed is anything but impressive. Haven't found any fix for that. If you figure out a better way please post.

Re: pocket ie settings

Originally posted by kcusscam
    The settings for pocket ie under options are unchecked automatically detect settings. and slect network is selected as wap.

Jeremy
    Hey thanks a lot kcusscam...

I am such a newbie with this mpx220. it's starting to make me sick and vommit... hahahaha...

Thanks, now I am able to get to my Media Net from the settings you mentioned... After all, I am paying $20 for it... no matter how useless it may seem...

Thanks a lot...