+ Reply to Thread

Upgrade from i730?

I was a long time Palm user (2 Sony Clies and then a Treo 600) before I went to the Windows based i730. I want to upgrade my phone, but Verizon requires a data plan with most smartphones. The Centro is an exception, but I'm concerned that it seems like 'smart ph0ne light'. I'm not a heavy user, but I've got a few apps I like, I don't want to carry 2 devices and I really like the idea of being able to sync my contacts, calender, etc.

So, will I be happy with a Centro? What limitations does it have compared to other PDA phones like the Windows based and the Treos? The screen seems real small, but I don't connect to the web. Does it support Graphiti? I use it a lot on my Samsung and did on my other PDAs too and would miss it I think.

I love the look of the new Pre, but it's Sprint only for now and likely will require a data plan and be pricey.
    salguod
    salguod.net

The Electro Ghandi Wireless Buddy's Avatar
    What apps would you need? I had an i730 and moved to an i760 in November.
    s a m s u n g s c h - i 7 6 0
    s a m s u n g s c h - i 7 3 0

Right now, all I use is Linkesoft's Automobil fro tracking my car expenses. I used more apps on my Treo. Splash Money, Hanyshopper, Chapura's Key Contacts. I'd likely use all of them if I went back to Palm.

Is the 760 available anymore? I was looking at an Omnia, which I really like, but it requires a data plan. They have a Verizon branded, squat white phone too that doesn't need one, but I think I like the idea of returning to Palm.
    salguod
    salguod.net

If you like Palm OS better, go with the Centro.

The differences with the "squat white phone" (HTC Touch) and the Centro would be:

The HTC Touch has a larger screen, however the Centro's is higher resolution. (320 x 320 vs the HTC's 240 x 320)

The HTC Touch has a slightly better camera

The Centro has a physical QWERTY keyboard, which is actually quite good for its size, as opposed to an onscreen keyboard with the Touch.

The Touch has Wi-Fi so you can still go online when in a Wi-Fi hotspot without a data plan.

Also with Windows Mobile, you can get Palm OS emulators (StyleTap) so you can run those Palm OS apps you like on Windows Mobile.

Actually, the HTC Touch Pro is black and skinny. I was talking about the Verizon Wireless XV6900.

Besides, the HTC isn't available without a data plan either and it's pricey.
    salguod
    salguod.net

As far as Palm OS is concerned the Centro is technically the most powerful in the line up and is therefore capable of doing vitually everything other POS Treos could do (although grafiti isn't native you have to download some hacks). The main complaints are either the size of the keyboard or the screen or both. Personally, a well decked out Centro is really awesom. With the price of MicroSD storage coming down you can put lots of data on it too.

i dont think you'll be disappointed with a centro. I moved from an i830 (worldphone variation of the i730) to a centro last year, and loved it. its so tiny, a good phone, and has email/contacts/calendar support right out of the box. I even went back to it after trying some other windows mobile phones. If it wasnt for my requirements of remote contact lookup, exchange folder support, and the coolness factor of the Touch Pro, i would still be happily using the centro. i still own it, and consider it my next of kin should my TP die or get lost.